Ford Focus 2013 model 1 litre (125) Ecoboost - Best petrol for a new Ford Focus - Daynig

Hi.

What's the best petrol for this car? Do I really need Shell V-power or does standard Shell unleaded still have the additives?

Ford Focus 2013 model 1 litre (125) Ecoboost - Best petrol for a new Ford Focus - jc2

What do Ford say in the manual? BP IIRC.

Edited by jc2 on 29/06/2013 at 10:08

Ford Focus 2013 model 1 litre (125) Ecoboost - Best petrol for a new Ford Focus - craig-pd130

If it says 95RON is all that's needed in the manual, just use standard unleaded.

If it says the engine will run fine on 95RON but "for optimum performance and economy, use 97RON", then use V-Power / Ultimate etc instead.

Ford Focus 2013 model 1 litre (125) Ecoboost - Best petrol for a new Ford Focus - MikeTorque

I run a Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost 100 ps and have noticed it is very very sensitive to what fuel it is fed. This engine, and the 125 ps, are exactly the same engine as installed in the Focus.

I've fed it Super Unleaded 97 RON and it pulls stronger and gives an extra 2 mpg compared with the same brand 95 RON.

Feed it 95 RON and it runs ok, feed it the same fuel but with a single dose of Millers petrol power ecomax and it returns in excess of 4 mpg extra, the engine pulls stronger and it's quieter.

All the driving occurred over the same roads in like for like conditions measured brim to brim using the same driving techniques so I know the data is accurate.

The EcoBoost 1.0 engine is one of the most sensitive petrol engines to different fuel grades I have ever owned and driven.

Ford Focus 2013 model 1 litre (125) Ecoboost - Best petrol for a new Ford Focus - unthrottled

Feed it 95 RON and it runs ok, feed it the same fuel but with a single dose of Millers petrol power ecomax and it returns in excess of 4 mpg extra, the engine pulls stronger and it's quieter.

Could this be attributed to the cost of premium fuel & additives which subsconsciously makes one a little more light footed which makes the engine quieter and delivers better mpg?

Trying to cure the shortcomings of ordinary petrol is made difficult by the fact that we don't really know what those shortcomings are...

Ford Focus 2013 model 1 litre (125) Ecoboost - Best petrol for a new Ford Focus - MikeTorque

It has nothing to do with cost or subconscious or the placebo effect. I can drive the car significantly harder and still obtain better mpg using Millers or 97 RON. Also the engine runs quieter as witnessed by passengers in the car. 95 RON on its own sees mpg fall dramatically whatever the weather or road conditions.