Changing my car - deneva

I have had my 04 Fabia 1.2 comfort for 6 trouble free years now, and have just retired and fancy getting something a little newer, another Fabia is prbably the best option but i do fancy somrthing different, looking at maybe Polo, Jazz, or Focus. Not to sure if i need a diesel or not, as long as its similar in fuel consumpton to my present car it should be ok. Lots of the hondas i look at have i shift, is this any good or is it trouble. Any advice or suggestions on suitable cars appreciated, i plan to keep the car for at least 6 years again. Cars i wont by are any Citroens, Peugeots or Nissan Micra

Changing my car - oldtoffee
If you think you'll cover 15,000 miles a year with regular long or high speed runs then a diesel would be ok. Anything less and you'll be better off with a petrol engine because of the potential for big bills with a used diesel if something like the DPF, DMF go bad.

I'd discard the Polo as it is expensive and no better than your Fabia which uses many of its parts. If you like a nice interior then the Polo is good. The Jazz is a good idea, petrol engined one, reliable and lots of usable space although quite a firm ride so test drive a must. Focus 1.6 petrol would be a good car too, reliable and easy and cheap (ish) to service and repair.

I'd add Toyota Yaris or the next one up Auris, Mazda 3 and of course the newer Fabia if it's in budget and if you like its looks. I might resist the turbo petrol TSis and go for the 1.4 normally aspirated as there are more than a few stories of faulty TSI units.
Changing my car - deneva

Bit more info on our requirments, my partner is 6' 3" and needs plenty of leg room in the front, plus while its not to much of a problem for me she really needs a fairly comfortable seat and not to bumpy a drive. The present Fabia has the legroom, ut she does find it a bit more difficult to get in and out of thesedays.I see what you say re diesels and it could be i may discount them as i only do a max of 12000 ish miles a year. I have a max of £10000 to spend which includes my Fabia as part ex. We tried a Yaris a couple of years back, i loved it but she found the leg room a problem, newer ones look roomier to me but are fr to expensive. I prefer to but from main dealers rather than private or small garages, a bit dearer i know but better warranty and part ex deal.

Changing my car - bathtub tom

I always thought the answer to 'what car should I buy?' was Mondeo - although I've never owned one.

However, I was looking at Dacia the other day..................................................

Changing my car - Bycro
Have you thought about either a Seat Ibiza or Leon? Might be worth a look.
Changing my car - deneva

Nice looking car, i had a 1999 Seat Toledo TDi before the Fabia, lovely car to drive, comfortable, and quite good on fuel, it was ok for two years then the clutch went, ok i though wear and tear...£340....5 months later the dual mass flywheel went, which cost me £1500 and it had to have another new clutch at same time.....Its put me of Seat's for life i'm afraid

Changing my car - Bycro
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with Seat - deneva. I guess you must have been really unlucky. My present car, Seat Exeo TDI has covered 99,000 miles in 39 months. I had it from new and it has been faultless.

Good luck with your search.
Changing my car - Andrew-T

.....Its put me of Seat's for life i'm afraid

I thought Seats were pretty much like Skodas?

Changing my car - Bycro

Good point Andrew-T. I suppose the same can be said for all VW models and Audi's. Although I'm sure the badge snobs won't agree with me mentioning Audi!
Changing my car - skidpan

VW's Audi's, Skoda's, Seat's are all identical under the skin. I have just bought a new Seat Leon, the Golf with the same engine was £5000 more plus on top of that Seat dealer gave me a discount a VW buyer could only dream of.

Have had 4 VW's in the past, all great cars and this Seat feels as well made as any Golf.

Changing my car - Auristocrat

'VW's Audi's, Skoda's, Seat's are all identical under the skin.'

The current Fabia is based on the platform (the PQ24) from the first generation Fabia/Polo IV/Ibiza III. Whereas the current Polo/Ibiza/A1 have the newer PQ25 platform.

Changing my car - RT

But built in different factories in different countries by different nationalities !!