Landrover Discovery XS - Insurance - Morff

Hi Guys, Bought myself a good quality Landrovery Discovery XS , decided to do a few moifications on it to bring it upto date i.e. new chrome grill, full set of Pollybushes, re-map etc. To cut a long story short , and I am some of you guy's out there know what i am going to say, through experiance, I get my Primium from my insurance co , pick up the phone to discuse it with them , mention the modifications , the to my surprise!! they neerley put the the phone down on me, just dont want to know.

So, does anyone know of a good insurance co I could approach who will insure my vehicle cheap or in a compedetive catagory. Ho and can we name and shame these companies that take our money year after year but when we want to upgrade they dont want to know. After all , its not as though they are paying for the modifications, its us.

Regards

Landrover Discovery XS - Insurance - RT

Insurance companies have target customer types - the fact that you get a good deal on one sort of car from a particular insurer but not on another, ie modified, is to be expected - not be surprised at.

Edited by RT on 20/06/2013 at 12:05

Landrover Discovery XS - Insurance - galileo

Why not contact Brewer/China of Wheeler Dealers, they do exactly this type of modifications and manage to sell the modified vehicles on (or so they appear to do!). If the buyer then has problems insuring them no doubt they'll be back for advice?

Landrover Discovery XS - Insurance - thunderbird

Why not contact Brewer/China of Wheeler Dealers, they do exactly this type of modifications and manage to sell the modified vehicles on (or so they appear to do!).

They certainly did not sell 2 of the cars they have "bodged" on the series and that is well documented on various forums. The Mk 1 Mini that was resprayed went back to the guy they aquired it from despite appearing to be sold on the programme and the Morgan, which was sold to a "mystery buyer" went back on the dealers forecourt from where it came.

Landrover Discovery XS - Insurance - NARU

Buy any Landrover or 4x4 magazine - there will be loads of adverts in the back

Landrover Discovery XS - Insurance - Collos25

If you mentioned remap I suggest you don´t insurance companies do not like non standard vehicles.

Landrover Discovery XS - Insurance - gordonbennet

Its hardly a name and shame issue, you know very well before you undertake such modifications that mainstream insurers are going to be unimpressed. They know whats a good risk and what isn't, modified cars and their owners probably feature highly in claims hence their reluctance.

I suggest trying an old fashioned insurance broker who will know which companies are prepared to quote, i suspect you will end up with inferior insurance but thats part and parcel of tinkering with cars.

By the way, is a Discovery good quality?...:-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 20/06/2013 at 17:55