Noise levels in car reviews - Ed V

I am sure I have seen some car reviews, online or a magazine, which provide helpful DCb levels. Can anyone help me out and re-direct me?

Noise levels in car reviews - merlin

The government provide figures - see carfueldata.dft.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.asp...3 and scrolldown to the further details section.

You can start a search from carfueldata.dft.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx

Noise levels in car reviews - RT

Does that cover internal noise levels - seems to be all about fuel and emissions.

Noise levels in car reviews - merlin
It gives "Noise Level [dB(A), moving]" - I thought this was internal noise... but according to the glossary...
"The current noise test standard for passenger cars, as detailed in EU Directive 92/97, consists of driving the vehicle into a test area at a speed of 50 km/hr and then accelerating at full throttle through the test area. A microphone at a set distance from the line of travel measures the maximum level of noise reached. Noise levels are shown in decibels as measured on the A scale of a noise meter. The A scale was devised to ‘weight’ the reading of a noise so it more closely represented what is heard by the human ear"

Noise levels in car reviews - Cyd

This is something known as "pass by noise" and is external to the vehicle measured by a standard test.

I seem to remember Autocar tests quote an internal noise measurement.

Noise levels in car reviews - unthrottled

Decibels don't really tell you anything about how intrusive you will find background noise.I don't think anyone would describe the clattering of a diesel rotary pump as 'pleasing', but exhaust pulses can add to the character of the car. (sadly most 4 cylinders merely drone).

Too quiet can be as distracting as too loud! Background hum can mask all sorts of noises in the cabin-and make up for any lapses in conversation with passengers.

Noise levels in car reviews - RT

The frequency of the sound matters to some people - the "age-related hearing loss", that many older men have, takes away the high frequencies much more than the low frequencies.

So cars can whistle all they want for me, I can't hear above 4,000 Hz.

Noise levels in car reviews - unthrottled

Must be why older drivers like the Jazz with the CVT-they can't hear the belt whine!

Noise levels in car reviews - Auristocrat

The Which? reviews measure what they call 'cruising noise' - noise inside the cabin at motorway speeds - in decibels.

Noise levels in car reviews - Graham567

What car magazine quotes db levels in all its reviews.One at 30mph and one at 70mph.

They also tell you which is the quietest overall.

Noise levels in car reviews - jamie745

I can already tell you Jaguar, Bentley, Rolls & possibly Mercedes Benz - when they're not using stupid wheels - probably come out on top in all these tests.

Sometimes you want a bit of noise though, nothing like pulling out, putting foot to the floor and hearing the growl as you kick it round some Honda.

Noise levels in car reviews - Ed V

Was that the NSX Honda you meant!

Thanks for all the responses. I'll get searching. To me, 'refinement' means "quiet".