TP or not TP? that is the question.... - concrete

I use the TP programme on my car radio for traffic news. Increasingly I notice, between rush hours, that there is no news, only re-cycled reports from earlier problems. This only applies to BBC local stations but they are inclined to interrupt other BBC programmes at inappropriate moments, usually when the detective in the play is about to announce who dunnit! Surely it cannot be beyond their wit to listen and find out if Radio2 and 4 have a programme at an important stage and then pick their moment? I know their stated aim is to bring traffic news every 15 minutes or so, but as already said, mostly it is not news so therefore can wait for a suitable moment. If some new incident does happen then by all means announce it immediately. It just needs a little thought to make the system more engaging, or am I being unreasonable? Don't answer that!! Cheers Concrete

TP or not TP? that is the question.... - Bromptonaut

What you describe sounds like the system doing 'what it says on the tin'. It's meant to allow you to hear traffic flashes as they occur not when theirs a break in programming. If you're listeninig to a play turn it off.

Personally I cannot be doing with it. Around home, Northampton, it picks up everything in an area bounded by Birmingham, Leicester, Cambridge, London and Oxford. Too many useless interruptions, not untimely, just irrelevant.

Five live is good enough for M/ways and major trunk roads.

Hello Bromptonaut, I agree that there is a lot of interuption from surrounding areas that have no relevance. In North Yorkshire I regulary pick up BBC Ulster and BBC Scotland and their traffic reports. I still maintain that to slavishly interupt scheduled programmes every 30 minutes or so, with nothing new to report is an abuse of the system, and not for which it was designed. I do though keep the TP on, because travelling a lot, I would hate to miss an opportunity to divert away from problems. Just a little circumspection to enhance the system is all I ask. The BBC used to be quite amenable to rational thought, but I fear not so now. Cheers Concrete.

TP or not TP? that is the question.... - gordonbennet

The funny thing is that should you be tuned to another station then arguably the best traffic reports for distance which are on Radio 2 don't come through on the TP system, doesn't work in reverse.

Very seldom do i have TP on as like you interruptions too many, Friday afternoons the exception though due to motoring lemmings doing their thing as they do without fail, or where i know there is a major problem on my route or an alternative route to the one i'm on.

I find running my satnav with free traffic for life (Garmin), i seldom need it for route finding but the traffic facility is useful...i just click on the traffic icon and search through the increasing radius for problems.

The funny thing is that should you be tuned to another station then arguably the best traffic reports for distance which are on Radio 2 don't come through on the TP system, doesn't work in reverse.

You are correct gordon, Sally Traffic et al on radio 2 are excellent, the strange thing is that 'local' BBC stations interupt them too!!! Which is why I am saying that they should monitor when they use the TP system to get the best use from it. As you say some knowledge of the routes you travel is essential to pick the bones out of any report. When my current car goes I will not pay for a factory fitted system, so your Garmin sounds ideal for a portable and cheaper system too. Cheers Concrete

TP or not TP? that is the question.... - Hamsafar

I complained to OFCOM a few years ago about it being abused by stations broadcasting TP flags when talking about 'celebs' and such rot for several minutes before there was actual traffic news. They said it was self-regulated.

The quality of traffic data in general seems to have deteriorated in recent years, and TMC used by built-in sat navs is just as bad, almost just a rush-hour rota and major preplanned roadworks.

TP or not TP? that is the question.... - gordonbennet

The best early traffic warning system i ever had was the original TrafficMaster YQ unit, never equalled IMO, scan the whole country in seconds which enabled you to not only choose whichever route was problem free but the more experienced user would look out for trouble on other routes which would probably affect one of your own possible routes, and able to keep an eye on things en route.

Quite why TM closed it i never found out, presumably partly through not being digital it had no possibility of monitoring/surveillance of owners/users.