DSG Transmissions - RT

It's not rocket-science to realise that DSGs, whatever they're called, are more economical than the traditional torque converter + planetary gears automatic transmission - that's the whole reason they're being introduced.

Internet reports of DSG failures and problems are anecdotal, statistically inaccurate, like all problems that arise which get far more attention than the good ones.

BUT - stories of DSG issues abound, initially VAG dry clutch designs replaced by wet clutch designs for higher torque applications - but now issues with wet clutch DSGs - Ford Powershift has had complaints from drivers, in at least one case with Ford buying the car back.

Now I've used traditional automatics for half of my 4 decades of driving and always laughed at the doomsters who warn that repair costs are so much higher than conventional manual gearboxes - yes they are higher but both types fail so rarely that no-one repairs gearboxes, manual or automatic, on ordinary cars these days so the cost difference is academic.

Given the level of issues we're seeing on DSGs under warranty, will they be seen as a very poor secondhand buy once the original warranty has ended ?

I'm sticking with the devil I know - by the time DSGs, and CVTs come to that, have proved their very long-term reliablity the only vehicle I'll need will be the hea-r-s-e (stupid censor software) !

Edited by RT on 08/06/2013 at 11:02

DSG Transmissions - RichT54

Back in the seventies I had a couple of conventional 3 speed automatics. With the low cost of petrol at the time, I didn't worry about fuel consumption even thought the S-Type was doing less than 20 mpg!

My current vehicle is a diesel CR-V. I was really hoping to go back to an automatic to spare my dodgy knee from aggravation (not helped by falling off a ladder a couple of years ago). However the Honda auto box doesn't get very good reviews and the official consumption figures are 7 - 8 mpg worse than the manual; so that's what I ended up getting.

Having read a lot of the anecdotal reports of problems with DSG style boxes makes me wary. Even if they are exaggerated, they are still likely to hit resale values when you come to sell the vehicle. I wonder if any manufacturer is still investing in improving the fuel consumption of traditional automatics, or if they are all going down the DSG and CVT route?

It's not just the reliability that concerns me about DSGs, but also the reports of poor low speed control and inappropriate gear selection entering roundabouts and junctions.

DSG Transmissions - balleballe

I wonder if any manufacturer is still investing in improving the fuel consumption of traditional automatics, or if they are all going down the DSG and CVT route?

Mazda - their newly designed skyactive 6-speed auto is torque converter based and optimised for fuel economy

DSG Transmissions - RT

I think most of the makers of traditional autoboxes are working hard at making them more economical - more gears allow increased use of converter lock-up so that it's only really in use starting from a standstill.