Volvo V60 - 'Flybrid' KERS - alternative to electric hybrid? - craig-pd130

Interesting article here about a prototype Volvo V60 with a mechanical flywheel-based KERS-type system in the rear axle, which can deliver an additional 80bhp for up to 8 seconds to help out the main powerplant when accelerating, etc.

The flywheel "charges" up to 60,000rpm under deceleration / braking, then can be engaged when accelerating depending on the driving mode selected.

http://cars.uk.msn.com/reviews/volvo-s60-flywheel-kers-review-2013-prototype

Volvo V60 - 'Flybrid' KERS - alternative to electric hybrid? - Engineer Andy

Cool - I did my final year project in university on (an ongoing design project over many years with other students) a KERS system (mine was for a flywheel-powered diesel hybrid bus with charging stations at bus stops) back in 1995-96!

Where do I collect my share of the money for the patent? :-)

Edited by Engineer Andy on 07/06/2013 at 19:27

Volvo V60 - 'Flybrid' KERS - alternative to electric hybrid? - unthrottled

PR stunt.

The idea is entirely meritless, being beaten in every respect by electric alternatives.

I wouldn't say it was entirely meritless.

The KERS can assist at the points when the engine has to work hard to overcome intertia; the flywheel unit is said to be 8kg, which means even with its associated transmission and diff it will be much lighter than a battery pack and hybrid drive; and costs are supposedly much lower compared with batteries & electric motors.

Also, such a unit could be packaged into a wider range of existing vehicles.

I lived in Copenhagen in the early 90s, and they had 'flybrid' buses as a regular part of the fleet on city services.

The flywheel was used to start the bus moving from rest up to about 10mph, then you'd hear the engine revs rise to take up the drive.

Volvo V60 - 'Flybrid' KERS - alternative to electric hybrid? - dadbif
Having read his posts for years, I never thought I would agree with "unthrottled" , but, this time I must.
Volvo V60 - 'Flybrid' KERS - alternative to electric hybrid? - unthrottled

The idea has merit with buses because:

1.)a very large proportion of the fuel energy is lost to active braking. The same is not true with passenger cars.

2.) They tend to use torque convertors anyway. Most passenger cars no longer use fluid couplings.

A few years back I 'invented' a crankshaft eddy current brake (a poor man's KERS) and conducted a feasibility study to see how much I could raise the engine oil oil temperature through vehicle retardation. Using our beloved NEDC (it may be flawed but that's the measaure that car companies are interested in) I was very surprised to see how little the service brakes are actually used in the test. In the urban cycle, the vehicle is slowed simply by lifting off the throttle. The only significant braking event is at the end of the extra urban cycle. Mechanical KERS counts for nothing in this scenario. Whereas with a battery system, this saving is counted.

It also places unrealistic demands on a CVT. A lot of people assume that because CVT is continuously variable, tha it is also infinitely variable. The driveshaft spins at ~hundreds of RPM, A KERS flywheel spins at tens of thousands. This ratio is hopeless.

You also have a horrible task of running your KERS system in series with the service brakes whilst maintainingbrake pedal travel and feel and satisfying failsafe criteria.

Needless to say I abandoned the Crankshaft Eddy Current Brake idea very quickly!