Citroen C5 - Part failure liability - wheel nearly falls of car - steve285

I recently had a major service done on my car, part of the service involved replacing the nearside front suspension ball joint. When the car was returned to me I noticed the steering was stiff and checked under the car when I got home. I noticed a bolt hanging from the underside of the drivers side sub frame, the bolt was also covered in anti seize spray and had obviously been subject to the attention of the garage.. I didn't want to risk driving back with the bolt hanging there so I tightened it up myself and then drove back to the garage to have it checked. The steering was now as light as usual. The garage kept the car for the afternoon and gave it me back with assurances that it was now ok.

Approximately five weeks later while turning around on full lock the front nearside ball joint came away from the wheel and the wheel collapsed pulling the driveshaft out and damaging it.

The garage have now taken the car back for inspection and I suspect they are going to fix the ball joint under the part warranty but may charge me for the drive shaft.

Could you advise me on my rights here please

Thanks in advance

Steve

Citroen C5 - Part failure liability - wheel nearly falls of car - Martin William

I'm sorry to hear you went through so much. This is a problem of a bad service station from where you got your car serviced. You must launch a complaint against that service station in the consumer court.They will give you compensation for all your car damages.

William Martin
Financial Adviser
PPI Claims Made Simple

Citroen C5 - Part failure liability - wheel nearly falls of car - FP

William Martin may be a financial adviser who's an absolute whizz on PPI claims, or he may just be a scammer. Either way, he wants free advertising - and he doesn't seem to know that there's no such thing as a "consumer court" in the UK.

Citroen C5 - Part failure liability - wheel nearly falls of car - Brit_in_Germany

... or know that in the UK a service station is somewhere where you fill your tank up.

Citroen C5 - Part failure liability - wheel nearly falls of car - Martin William

You're wrong my friend, there is a service station called Motorway Service Station in UK and by "consumer court" I meant online complaint, by the way I'm sending you the link but the site is not active I guess. Here it is - www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/

Just because I added a link in my signature, it doesn't make me a spammer! I'm deeply hurt by your words citroen! :'(

Edited by Martin William on 25/06/2013 at 14:30

Citroen C5 - Part failure liability - wheel nearly falls of car - FP

You are talking rubbish.

A Motorway Service Station sells fuel, nothing else. There is nowhere in the UK where there is "a service station" called "Motorway Service Station". It's a generic term.

I imagine you meant small claims court, not online complaint.

Go away.

Citroen C5 - Part failure liability - wheel nearly falls of car - SlidingPillar

Consumer Direct closed at the end of March - the link says so. It diverts to a Citizens Advice web page, which I'm sure is a worthy site, but no real help here as the OPs complaint is quite specific and more than a bit technical. So go away PPI man you are not helping.

My brother had repeated failures of lower ball joints on another car. It seems likely there are ball joints and ball joints since his original lasted 200,000 miles, and the replacement, less than 15,000. Longer than 5 weeks though.

Your supposition about the replacements is probably correct, although the garage will be embarassed, and may make you an offer. Until they do, not much you can do as whether you like their offer or not, it has to made before you can object.

Luck of the gods as far as drive shafts go, the first event broke my brother's one, but the second failure didn't. So I guess there is a chance yours has survived.

Best advice is appear disapointed, and take the attitude, 'what are you going to do to make me happier'. Don't get visably angry, you'll just make the garage defensive and less likely to make you a good offer.

Let us know what's actually offered.