astra mk2 stalling - robotrob
i have a mk2 astra, fitted with pierburg 2e3 carb (manual choke);1300cc. original problem was in not having auto choke housing,since converted i have experienced idle problems, cranked up idle screw, followed by heavilly carbonised spark plugs,since replaced, now having problem of car stalling when i take foot off accelerator, solved this temp via speeding up idle, but after 10 mins or so problem recurs by stalling at junctions etc when foot comes off gas. when converting to manual choke i displaced throttle return spring, have since found it but unsure of its essential purpose or wether to reinstall it if i knew where on the carb.any ideas?
astra mk2 stalling - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
I would advise having the carb professionally looked at as you seem to have unwittingly introduced a few problems. The throttle return spring is essential and hooks around the choke unit at about the 7.o'clock position. If the secondary throttle butterfly is heavily carboned up this will seriously affect mixture. Presumably the manual choke was fitted in an effort to mask starting problems caused by other factors which are still affecting it. Maybe consider a Weber conversion?
HTH
Andrew

Happiness is a T70 at full chat!
astra mk2 stalling - rickt
On seeing this post reminded me of the problems with my Astra Mk2 1300cc.It kept stalling every few months when taking my foot off the accelerator. It was the idle jet , a blocked idle jet caused by dirty fuel.I fitted a in-line fuel filter (kept a one in the car for spare) and changed it every 6 months . No more stalling. I'm not saying this is the cause of your problem , but if it is it will only cost you £1.00 to put it right.I just cut the rubber fuel line three inches away from the carb to fit the filter. It had a clear bulb and you could see the dirt mounting up. My car was a few years old and had collected a lot of waste in the tank which I suppose got carried into the fuel line.Hope this helps