Peugeot 306 Meridian 1998 reg - Has the garage caused these issues? - jacsdash

I took my car in for MOT last Thursday, 23rd May. Not a lot wrong, it only failed on the handbrake. So they said they'd replace the cable. The next day, when I went back, the car bonnet was open and they were "working on it". I asked why, and was told they had replaced the handbrake cable and taken it for a test drive around the block and the indicators "suddenly" stopped working. Er... suddenly? mmmmmm.....

I left it with them and went back the next day to be told they had changed the "flasher unit" (this was after being told it was probably the relay). I then drove the car away (Saturday morning) and didn't check anything else. However, I had to go out last night (Sunday) and as it was just getting dark I switched on the side lights. I kind of noticed the dashboard wasn't illuminated but didn't think too much of it as it was only just getting slightly dark. I didn't think much about it until I had to drive back home. I turned on the headlights and there wasn't a single light on the dashboard. Not even the hazard switch was lit as it normally is. Luckily I wasn't far from home but I had to drive back with absolutely no way of seeing anything on the dash - or knowing what my speed was.

I'm not really a great believer in these kinds of coincidence so it looks to me that the garage did something to cause these issues when they changed the handbrake cable. I still haven't paid for the MOT and other work and will be going to see them early tomorrow morning. Whilst I don't want to blatantly accuse them of causing these issues, I am inclined to think they did something to cause them BECAUSE they weren't there before the MOT or handbrake thing.

Anybody got any thoughts on the matter? How do I approach the subject without getting into any unnecessary arguments?

With thanks

Edited by jacsdash on 27/05/2013 at 14:13

Peugeot 306 Meridian 1998 reg - Has the garage caused these issues? - FP

If a car has an electrical fault (the flasher unit) which was fixed by the garage and is later discovered to have a new electrical fault which was not present before, then I think you have a solid reason to expect rectification (and to assume the fault was either there and not diagnosed while at the garage, or was caused by them).

I suggest the best course is to avoid confrontation/accusation, but stick to your guns, in a firm and polite way, in pressing for the garage to put things right.

Peugeot 306 Meridian 1998 reg - Has the garage caused these issues? - TeeCee

I turned on the headlights and there wasn't a single light on the dashboard.

Before reading the riot act at them, it may be worth just checking that they haven't accidently turned the dash lamp dimmer all the way down while they were working on it.