MINI Coupe Cooper S - Rattles, Thumps, Squeaks and Bumps. - Lumley

We purchased a MINI Coupe Cooper S in June 2012. What a mistake. They purport to be a premium brand but our experience contradicts this.

After two days of battery died. Not a flat battery but a faulty battery which left us stranded. After a week the hatch was failing to close properly. After six weeks and 800 miles the wipers failed. Paintwork faults then found around the hatch edges. From day one the car rattled, sqeaked, thumped and bumped. All emanating from the rear end. Several visits back to the dealer, Sytner of Coventry, corrected the earlier the issues but the noises steadily got worse.

Eventually in April this year the car was back at the dealers 'to get to the bottom' of these noises. The car had travelled less than 4000 miles. It was discovered that welding had failed in the floor pan behind the seats resulting in the whole interior having to be stripped out. This repair work took FIVE weeks. When returned not only was the car still rattling like an old tin can but Sytner had damaged the parcel shelf, replaced the rear internal trim poorly and obviously left the car with bird droppings on which had etched themselves into the paintwork.

MINI UK denied the welding failure was a major issue. I'm no expert but if welding has failed I think it's serious. Especially given the amount of work and time taken to repair it.

Sytner were also less than helpful thinking customers have all the time in the world to keep taking their cars back. After an appointment at Sytner the wiper issue turned out to be perished rubbers (after 6 weeks & 800 miles!) but having identified it Sytner booked another appointment for the following week to fit new wiper blades! It would have cheaper and quicker to have gone to Halfords. They fail to update you and rarely call back when they promise to do so. When we had finally had enough and demanded a change of car all we got was corporate waffle and them firmly pointing the finger of blame on MINI UK. Hang on a minute, they sold the car?

Has anyone else suffered issues with a MINI Coupe or been unfortunate enough to have to deal with Sytner in Coventry when things go wrong?

MINI Coupe Cooper S - Rattles, Thumps, Squeaks and Bumps. - Auristocrat

Haven't dealt with Sytner Coventry, but have had two disappointing experiences with their Toyota dealership in Birmingham.

Back in 2006 we were considering buying a Corolla and a Verso in 2006. Booked test drives for both via the Toyota website. Turned up and they obviously weren't expecting us. No Verso available to test. Looked at the one in the showroom - flat battery so couldn't open the tailgate to look at how the third row of seats folded. Salesperson folded the back of the second row forwards, knelt on the folded seat back to fold the third row down, and, after an ear splitting crack, broke the seat back they were kneeling on. Gave us a test drive in a used Corolla from the used car lot.

Bought a new Corolla from Inchcape, Burton

In 2009 booked a test drive of an Auris via the Toyota website. Again thy weren't expecting us. The salesperson took us out in an Auris with trade plates, and told us the car was actually a customer order that was being delivered to the customer later that week. Salesperson promised to phone me later that week with an update of Toyota's offers - didn't contact us until over 3 weeks later

Bought a new Auris from Inchcape, Burton.

When we changed the Auris in 2012, we didn't bother with Sytners - bought a new Auris from Inchcape Burton.

MINI Coupe Cooper S - Rattles, Thumps, Squeaks and Bumps. - FeeW

Yes I most certainly have had many problems with my MINI Coupe. Bought it second hand in April 2013 (just over a year old and 8000 miles on clock), it was purchased through MINI cherished from Rybrook Stratford and delivered up to me in Scotland. Firstly before the driver even got out of the car I notice the front bumper was sticking out where it shouldn't. I had to arrange for this to be taken in ASAP to my local dealer (Menzies Stirling), which after inspection they noticed the whole underside of the car plastics had been smashed through. I got given a quote from Menzies which I passed back to Rybrook who were not happy with the amount they were charging (I couldn't care less what they were charging I just bought the car I wanted it fixed) after a lot of back and forth it actually got taken back down south to Rybrook, fixed the bumper and also fixed a rattle behind the driver's door while it was there, then delivered back to me. A total of a week to complete and almost 800 mile round trip in my car. Next problem I had with this car was the dreaded dash rattle, which Rybrook themselves noticed and told me to get fixed at my local dealer. This went back into Menzies a total of 3 seperate times, first 2 times they tried to fix the rattle - it was just as bad when I got the car back. On the third occassion they had to rip the whole dash out, including getting a new central speedo all the way from Germany?! This took almost a week, in total the car was in and out of the garage within the space of 3 months for this rattle. Finally this seemed to have been fixed...

I then had problems in the run up to Christmas with my alarm randomly setting off by itself, literally minutes after locking it. Took this back yet again to my local dealer which they told me it was a faulty microwave sensor, this got replaced. Literally the moment I picked my car up and arrived back home and locked my car, alarm went off again. I straight away called my dealer telling them this, it went back in the following day to be told it was a corroded wire within the door!! Car went back into the garage the following week to have this replaced, in the meantime I was moving house and passed on my new address details to MINI finance and while doing this told them of the bother I was having with the car. I got a reply from MINI quality standards in writing basically telling me my case was closed and that I should expect this kind of wear and tear on an ageing car with building mileage?! Are they having a laugh, the car had barely turned 2 years old and had 18,000 miles on it!!

Recently I noticed my car was becoming condensated on the INSIDE and freezing up, I knew this wasn't right and ended up having a feel around the car, to discover my passenger side carpets SOAKED. Furious I went straight on MINI UK direct and got hold of the same person who wrote me the letter, I complained about the car and told him to tell me that a car should expect corroding is utter rubbish of a car of that age! My car went back into my local dealer where it was for 5 days, the seal had failed on the passenger door and was replaced and my carpets dried out. A seal failing and corroding on a car of this age is not acceptable especially given the high standard BMW is supposed to have and they show this in their prices! Got my car back and now have yet another new rattle, behind the passenger door....let's see what happens with this... I am now at the stage where I think given I have had so much bother for a car still under warranty, just over 2 years old with 19,000 miles on the clock they should allow for a car swap to be done. It is just unacceptable

MINI Coupe Cooper S - Rattles, Thumps, Squeaks and Bumps. - Gordon17

I think what you both have to realise is that the reason for the high price is that it's a fashion accessory, not that it's a premium quality product.

MINI Coupe Cooper S - Rattles, Thumps, Squeaks and Bumps. - Snakey

I think what you both have to realise is that the reason for the high price is that it's a fashion accessory, not that it's a premium quality product.

Yawn - I'm sick of hearing that about minis. All cars a re pretty much equal these days. Have you seen how much a well specc'd fiesta is these days?

Wife mini now has 83,000 miles on it and the only thing that has failed is the boot switch. Unlike my rav4 with its apparently unbreakable reputation which has been one thing after another.

MINI Coupe Cooper S - Rattles, Thumps, Squeaks and Bumps. - Gordon17

I agree with you about most cars being pretty much equal in terms of quality these days - there just aren't really any bad cars anymore. However, both the posters above mention that they expect the Mini to be better than average as it is a premium brand.

The cheapest Mini is over £15,000 while the cheapest Fiesta is under £10,000.

I agree with you about most cars being pretty much equal in terms of quality these days - there just aren't really any bad cars anymore. However, both the posters above mention that they expect the Mini to be better than average as it is a premium brand.

The cheapest Mini is over £15,000 while the cheapest Fiesta is under £10,000.

Cheapest is over £15K? Thats not technically true as their website is only showing the Cooper/S for the brand new version. The lower versions will appear soon probably around the 12.5 to 13.5k mark.

Yes, they're more expensive but personally I think they're a better car than a fiesta, and I like fiestas as well.

MINI Coupe Cooper S - Rattles, Thumps, Squeaks and Bumps. - SteveLee

Yes, they're more expensive but personally I think they're a better car than a fiesta, and I like fiestas as well.

Yes they are better apart from poorer use of space, worse engines, worse ride, worse reliability - well, pretty much, just worse. A style-over-content-product for the easily led. Sort of New Labour in automotive form.

MINI Coupe Cooper S - Rattles, Thumps, Squeaks and Bumps. - Andrew-T

< They fail to update you and rarely call back when they promise to do so. >

In my limited experience this is normal behaviour by garages. Their phones don't make outgoing calls as a rule.

MINI Coupe Cooper S - Rattles, Thumps, Squeaks and Bumps. - 72 dudes

From day one the car rattled, sqeaked, thumped and bumped. All emanating from the rear end.

How did it sound on your test drive? I think if it was this bad on Day 1, I would have taken the car back and rejected it.

So much time has passed that sadly I don't think you will now get much redress from either MINI or the dealer.

Maybe a clear concise letter detailing the issues to the Dealer Principal will help.

MINI Coupe Cooper S - Rattles, Thumps, Squeaks and Bumps. - gordonbennet

A Cooper S, as with any comparable pocket rocket with sporting pretensions, runs on concrete springs with solid elastic bands stretched around oversized wheels, a crashing ride is the only ride to be expected, and unless the car weighs in @ 2 tons because its stuffed with sound suppression it will rattle clunk and bump.

The C2 VTS HDi we owned for a couple of years was every bit as bad, SWMBO didn't mind the backbreaking ride because the thing went like hell and she's bonkers anyaway, but i grew to hate it, and that was after installing soundproofing to successfully cut down on the deafening road noise.

MINI Coupe Cooper S - Rattles, Thumps, Squeaks and Bumps. - skidpan

We bought a new Cooper S in 2005 as a replacement for our aging Puma. Sytner were the only dealer who were prepared to offer any kind of "discount" (gave us the TLC pack) or actually put a delivery date down in writing (the car arrived 1 week early).

They rang when the car arrived with them and we arranged a collection date and payment method (Building Society Cheque). The sales girl then told me she would be away on holiday and the sales manager would deal with the handover. Collection day came and we arrived at the appointment time but it quickly went down hill. Despite agreeing to pay with a Building Society cheque we were informed that it was their company policy not to accept them since they could be cancelled after the vehicle had been collected if they had not cleared leaving us with a car and the money in our bank. We would have to wait 7 working days before we could have the car. This was simply not possible since we had sold our Puma and needed 2 cars for work.

Went back to our Building Society with the cheque and got to see the manager. She spoke to Sytners and explained that they were wrong about us being able to cancel the cheque and get the money back in our account but they wold not accept what she said, she was absolutely fuming, as much as we were. After some discussion the manager arranged with the Nat West Bank (just accross the street and open Saturday am) that they would transfer the sum of monies to my parents account and then the Nat West would write a cheque payable to Sytner, all i had to do was go and collect my dad and get him to sign th paperwork.

It was all pretty tight time wise but we got it sorted and eventually got the car about 4 pm, we had been on the road etc since 8 am and they are only 15 miles away.

Never darkened their doors again and never will.

The car was reliable enough and since it had the standard 16" wheels the ride was OK, no worse than the Puma but the better seats in the Mini did make it more comfortable.

Problem with the car was an oil leak, it went in 4 times in total and was still leaking when we sold it at 2 1/2 years old. I know they tried to retain the essence of the original Mini but keeping the oil leaks that the early ones were prone too was taking things a bit far.

Never really hated the car, just never liked it. Although the Puma was rough round the edges with regard to trim and had rubish front seats it was somehow better.

Good thing was the depreciation, after 2 1/2 years it only lost just over £2000. But it was pretty much bog standard car, the only options were the nicer 16" alloys (£0), 1/2 leather trim and metallic paint.

Replaced it with a 118D (not from Sytners).

Late in 2005 we replaced the Mondeo with a C-Max at the local Ford dealer. He asked us how we propsed to pay the balance and asked if Building Society cheque was OK, did not want a repeat. He was stunned by Sytners attitude, they were always delighted to accept Building Society cheques.

MINI Coupe Cooper S - Rattles, Thumps, Squeaks and Bumps. - Avant

SWMBO is on her fifth Mini, the current one a Cooper Roadster - which has the advantage of having a reasnably-sized boot. No problems with any of the Minis, but she does only about 4,000 miles a year, so there shoudn't be.

You hear of more problems with Cooper S models: i wonder if the stiffer suspension and bigger wheels are the cause of the body rattles. We certainly wouldn't want anything firmer than the ride on the ordinary Cooper - but then we're in our sixties..

SWMBO is on her fifth Mini, the current one a Cooper Roadster - which has the advantage of having a reasnably-sized boot. No problems with any of the Minis, but she does only about 4,000 miles a year, so there shoudn't be.

You hear of more problems with Cooper S models: i wonder if the stiffer suspension and bigger wheels are the cause of the body rattles. We certainly wouldn't want anything firmer than the ride on the ordinary Cooper - but then we're in our sixties..

Might be a valid point. My wifes mini is a One and the ride is nicely supple. Only rattles are from stuff we've got in the door pockets etc!

MINI Coupe Cooper S - Rattles, Thumps, Squeaks and Bumps. - daveyK_UK

Is anyone expecting the new mini to be better built and with better components than the prevous one?

Where premature gear box failures a common occurance on the mini one?

MINI Coupe Cooper S - Rattles, Thumps, Squeaks and Bumps. - SteveLee

To be fair to the Rover R65 gearbox (actually a Rover enhanced PSA gearbox) was never designed to take the load the big, heavy and relatively torquey MINI put out. It was supposed to be a small lightweight gearbox for small lightweight cars!