tyota aygo fire. - engine lubrication - desmodromic

My wife has purchased a brand new aygo fire, at it first service it has had an oil change but contrary to the information supplied in the owners handbook the oil for the first change was not 0w20 as stipulated by toyota but 5w-30 as shown on the service record.it is not a typing mistake, the oil is thicker than 0W20. will this cause a problem,i assume both oils are fully synthetic. I am worried as 0w20 is a high tech oil for close tolerance engines,it originated from aviation requirements, and used by mclaren , mercs,suburu, honda etc..ow 20 is nanotech and specific application, I feel 5w-30 is not right particularly on a new engine,what is your opinion please.?

The engine on the aygo is long stroked with fast piston speeds and for a car revs rapidly,the engine is a development of the daihatsu Charade, and very similar to a laverda triple motorcycle engine, I suspect longevity could suffer with too thick an oil,and of course economy. The latest aygo engines are down ported to assit with the torgue output, and to assist in the economy and clean burn, any ideas? My son is a degree mechanical engineer in aviation and he reckons the dealer is wrong in using the thicker oil, what do think? "desmodromic"

tyota aygo fire. - engine lubrication - Chris M

I have a 2010 C1 and the handbook states a range of oils can be used, including 5w30 and 10W40. There is a lot of discussion (and confusion!) on the C1/107/Aygo Owners Club website (c1oc.co.uk).

I'd discuss the oil spec with the dealer. Toyota should know what they are doing!

tyota aygo fire. - engine lubrication - Galaxy

I didn't think you could buy 0W - 20 oil but, after a quick look on Ebay, it appears that you can!

It's produced by various oil companies, including Toyota's own brand.

tyota aygo fire. - engine lubrication - unthrottled

There is overlap between grades of oil so an oil could be classified as either 20 or 30 grade depending on how the refiner wished to market it so I wouldn't panic.

As far as aviation piston engines go, I thought they were still running on straight grade 50!

tyota aygo fire. - engine lubrication - Collos25

If your son has you say has a degree in engineering they obviously did not include how different viscosity of oil works.I would take notice of him the oil they used is perfectly ok and is one of the recommended grades if you read the service book.

tyota aygo fire. - engine lubrication - madf

Take it back and demand the correct oil. Same problems arose with the Mark3 Prius.. oil spec was 0-20, Toyota garages used 5-30, in error.

Fuel consumption is affected - that is WHY Toyota changed...to 0-20

Honda use 0 -20 on latest models certainly the Jazz.

Edited by madf on 17/05/2013 at 15:24

tyota aygo fire. - engine lubrication - Collos25

There you go again critising when you do not know the facts its plainy printed in the Toyota service book if you were to look.

tyota aygo fire. - engine lubrication - madf

There you go again critising when you do not know the facts its plainy printed in the Toyota service book if you were to look.

Toyota upgrade their service requirements for oil regularly and what is printed in Service Books is not what they use... and if you knew Toyota's service plans and how they operate you would have been less quick to criticise,

tyota aygo fire. - engine lubrication - Hamsafar

They probably used 0w20 to get it through the EU mpg and CO2 tests and then put something more suitable in once the figures were rubber-stamped.