Small claims for engine damage indicated by oil burn? - jonathann

I purchased a BMW about 7 weeks ago from an independent dealer: purchase price GBP 6000, age 7 years, about 70K miles. The purchase price is around the "correct" price for this model-age-miles.

It soon became clear that the car is consuming excessive amounts of oil. An oil consumption test by BMW indicates 1.3 litres per 1000 km, which is about twice BMW's maximum acceptable level for this model. Both BMW dealer and an independent mechanic state that this indicates serious engine wear: BMW dealer says the car probably needs new pistons at cost of GBP 4000.

[The car also has diverse other problems which I consider to be less serious and within expectations for a 7-year-old car... but I don't think the engine wear is normal or acceptable.]

So I have written to the dealer requesting full refund. The dealer has promptly responded to say that I need to leave the car with them, for them to inspect. I have done this.

If the dealer does not give me a refund or offer to cover repair costs, do I have reasonable chances in a small claims court?

[I know 7 weeks have now passed.. but it took time to get independent mechanic's opinion, then BMW opinion and oil consumption test.]

[Problems with this particular dealer have been noted peviously on HonestJohn, but at this stage I will not name them.]

Thanks for your time.

Edited by jonathann on 11/05/2013 at 18:45

Small claims for engine damage indicated by oil burn? - jonathann

Hello - Apologies for bumping this up, but no response. Can anyone advise me here? Thanks!