BMW 3 Series Compact E46 - Rear Wiper Problem - meldrew

Rear wiper seems to have a life of its own. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it keeps going longer than it should and then stops slightly short of the normal position!

The rear wiper is used so very infrequently I would be surprised if any part of the motor has worn out. Maybe some control unit somewhere. Can live without it but could be a MoT item.

Any suggestions!?

TVMIA

BMW 3 Series Compact E46 - Rear Wiper Problem - Collos25

Very common problem water leaks into the mechanism because the washer pipe runs through the inside.Remedies are best to replace with a new one,you can remove the old one and try and repair it or remove it and fit a rubber bung.

BMW 3 Series Compact E46 - Rear Wiper Problem - gordonbennet

If its still working intermittently strip it out now clean the spindle and drive thoroughly and lubricate it well before it seizes solid, which is what usually happens.

When it seizes the worm drive chews itself up, leading to a complete scrap wiper mechanism which is very expensive as individual parts not available (unless someone knows differently) and nowhere to be found scrappie wise.

BMW 3 Series Compact E46 - Rear Wiper Problem - meldrew

Two very useful and helpful comments - thank you v much!

Rear washer has not worked for a while so I wonder if it has been squirting water into the works!!

FWIW there is a very useful 2/H BMW parts supplier in Shropshire that has served me well in the past. Fingers crossed!

Meldrew.