Any - Winter tyres Size - Alf_Hooker

When fitting Winter tyres, can these be narrower than the summer tyres specified for the vehicle ?

Thinking of fitting 205 55 16 tyres on suitable steel rims, on the car that was originally fitted with 235 45 R 17s on alloys or could be specified with 215 55 R 16s on alloys.

205 55 16s on steel rims is the specification for the entry level model of this car, for which I can get a set of steel rims very cheaply.

Car is a 2011 Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Estate Zetec

Reason for the question, is we have an almost new set of these winter tyres that were on a Mercedes C class that has now gone back to the lease company.

Any - Winter tyres Size - oldtoffee

My first thought was that one section narrower is often fine but 3 sections probably not but if the entry level Mondeo comes with that spec then it "might" be ok. The sportier Zetec suspension will be set up for the wider lower profile tyre so there might be some steering/handling differences there. I'd ask the question direct to Ford as the car is still in warranty and if they say ok then its just a case of notifying the insurance company for your own peace of mind when you fit them.

Any - Winter tyres Size - scotmech

This is a free android app ... Tyre Calculator ...

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AcMWbdm0c...Q

Any - Winter tyres Size - bathtub tom

My first thought is will the 16" wheels fit over your brakes? You say 16" wheels are fitted on base spec, but does your model have larger brakes?

This site will give you the difference in gearing: www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator.htm

Any - Winter tyres Size - skidpan

Generally you need to fit wheels/tyres that were fitted by the manufacturer to a model in the range.

Examples:

Our 118D has 205/50 17 V from the factory, 205/55 16 V were fitted to other models, insurance happy for us to fit these on OEM wheels, no charge.

Our Kia Ceed has 225/45/17 W form factory, 205/55 16 V were fitted to other models, insurance happy for us to fit these on OEM wheels, no charge.

When I originally asked about using steel wheels there would have been an extra premium to pay since they were not a standard fitment on our models, afater a quick search on e-bay I bought alloys for much less than steels.

The basis rule is inform the insurance company what you intend doing, if they are happy you are OK.

Any - Winter tyres Size - Graham567

I have a 2009 Mondeo titanium x with 18" wheels.The size is 235/40 r18.

I have fitted 16" winter wheels for the past 2 years now with a tyre size of 205/55r16.

They fit fine over the brakes and are far superior on ice and snow.The 18" summer tyres are useless in winter and before buying the winter wheels i skidded across the road and ended up facing oncoming traffic.Luckily nothing was coming at the time but it shook me up somewhat.

Since fitting the winter tyres i can now drive up very steep hills on snow without any fuss where as the summer tyres slipped even on the flat.

I would highly recommend fitting winter tyres if your summer ones are of the wide low profile type.

Any - Winter tyres Size - Alf_Hooker

I have a 2009 Mondeo titanium x with 18" wheels.The size is 235/40 r18.

I have fitted 16" winter wheels for the past 2 years now with a tyre size of 205/55r16.

They fit fine over the brakes and are far superior on ice and snow.The 18" summer tyres are useless in winter and before buying the winter wheels i skidded across the road and ended up facing oncoming traffic.Luckily nothing was coming at the time but it shook me up somewhat.

Since fitting the winter tyres i can now drive up very steep hills on snow without any fuss where as the summer tyres slipped even on the flat.

I would highly recommend fitting winter tyres if your summer ones are of the wide low profile type.

Thanks Videodoctor, sounds like we have a plan.

Any - Winter tyres Size - Avant

Just to confirm Videodoctor's experience: I had the same problem with the 225/40/18 low-profile tyres on my Octavia vRS - usless in snow. I have Kleber all-weather tyres (205/55/16) on steel wheels and as the ride is better with negligible effect on handling, I'm leaving them on all year.

Just check that they fit the brakes, which they should do if the standard Mondeo has 16" wheels.

Any - Winter tyres Size - Smileyman

My Primera came with 215/50/17 tyres, I've swapped to 205/60/16 using original Nissan alloys, the insurance company is aware and there is no problem - summer and winter tyres. There is the added benefit that the smaller tyres are much cheaper to buy.