Any - Power Steering Fluid - Alf_Hooker

Does this need changing at regular intervals ? I just topped it up in the office runabout car, a Mondeo 2.0 Estate 2008, and I put a bit too much in, so I sucked the excess out with a syringe, and noticed that the old stuff is kind of chocolate colour, and the new stuff much clearer and lighter.

I can find nothing in the maintanence records about this.

Thanks

Alf

Any - Power Steering Fluid - mss1tw

I guess like any fluid it will degrade, I keep thinking I should change the stuff in my 54 plate. Ten years is long enough.

Any - Power Steering Fluid - Pebble

Until recently that had never been an issue for me--every car I ever owned had a power steering fluid leak, so I was replacing it long before it got old and needed changing.

Any - Power Steering Fluid - mss1tw

Until recently that had never been an issue for me--every car I ever owned had a power steering fluid leak, so I was replacing it long before it got old and needed changing.

:-D

Any - Power Steering Fluid - Hamsafar

I think it's best to change it. I always do.

Any - Power Steering Fluid - gordonbennet

Its such a simple job to do why not?

Any - Power Steering Fluid - thunderbird

Should last longer than an oil change thus at least 13 years.

Edited by thunderbird on 08/05/2013 at 13:52

Any - Power Steering Fluid - gordonbennet

Should last longer than an oil change thus at least 13 years.

:-)))))

Any - Power Steering Fluid - John F

I guess like any fluid it will degrade

I would be interested in a bit of expert knowledge about this - can someone explain if ATF, power steering fluid or oil 'degrades' and if so, how? I have never changed it at all in any car I have owned ....and have no intention of doing so unless someone gives a very good reason.

Some fluids of the ingestable variety upgrade with age!

Any - Power Steering Fluid - Hamsafar

Well it's bound to degrade, as it is lubricating a high speed hydraulic pump and steering rack. It is likely full of wear particles, hence the discolouration.

Any - Power Steering Fluid - Cyd

Well it's bound to degrade, as it is lubricating a high speed hydraulic pump and steering rack. It is likely full of wear particles, hence the discolouration.

and not forgetting oxidation. Most PAS systems are open to the air at the reservoir.

there'll also be some breakdown of the polymer chains as a result of mechanical and thermal stress.

I once asked this question of a colleague responsible for PAS systems. He replied that he would change the PAS fluid at 10 years or 100k miles. It should last the "life" of the car, but bear in mind the design "life" is 12 years or 120k (or thereabouts).
I went on to ignore his advice (actually just simply forgot) with my Rover. It never even needed top up in 167k and 15 years and was running fine.

Any - Power Steering Fluid - unthrottled

I've never bothered either. can't see any mechanism for degradation other than overheating. I suppose that might be a concern for sustained high revs in high ambient conditions. Oops....! [grille block+ 21mph/1000RPM in top gear]

Any - Power Steering Fluid - unthrottled

It's hardly a catastrophe if the power steering pump does lose pumping pressure. I notice the steering become progressively heavier as the fluid warms up and loses its viscosity.