Worst MOT performers - unthrottled

Is this the most risible report to appear on this site to date? The selection bias is self-evident, not to mention the fact that there is no breakdown of the causes of the MOt failure. A bald tyre is not a manufacturing or a design fault!

Worst MOT performers - Cyd

I agree. Thereare a whole host of failures which should be excluded from the results before compiling such a list:

bald tyres
worn out brakes
chipped or cracked windscreens
non working lights

and no doubt several more.

Worst MOT performers - daveyjp
Latest shock story. A lot of old cars fail the MOT. You don't say.
Worst MOT performers - RT

I regard an MoT failure as a failure of owner maintenance - I don't see how MoT failure statistics have any relevance to real life.

Worst MOT performers - unthrottled

Most of these 'unreliable' cars are 15 years old. Given that the average vehicle lifespan is about 11.5 years, all the featured vehicles have done considerably better than average.

The fact that they were presented for MOT at all means that they were still functional. A car that gets towed to the scrapyard with a conrod through its crankcase doesn't fail its MOT because it isn't even in a state to be put through one!

MOTs are not a measure of reliability.

Where does 11.5 years come from - the figures I've seen in reputable car magazines states it's 14+ years and has been for many decades despite apparent improvements in longevity.

Worst MOT performers - mss1tw

Where does 11.5 years come from - the figures I've seen in reputable car magazines states it's 14+ years and has been for many decades despite apparent improvements in longevity.

The failure mode has changed that's all. Now we have nice rust-free chassis piled up in scrappies with good engines and knackered electronics or airbags that need replacing!

I guess big jobs like steering racks and heater matrixes are an understandable reason to scrap a good condition but negligible value car.

I understand the "logic" behind scrappage, ie not cost-effective to repair, but has the average really changed so much in such a short time ? Or is the reduction artificial due to the scrappage incentives of a few years back ?

Worst MOT performers - TeeCee

Look at cars of today vs. those of a decade or more ago.

Count the number of things that have been become de rigeur or even mandatory since, the failure of any one of which will ensure that a cheap car is written off as the parts to fix cost more than the car's worth, before you include labour charges(!)

e.g. ABS, ESP, variable-vane turbos, etc. The list is as long as your arm.

Even some fairly ordinary bits have the same effect. Consider a ten plus year old car worth a few hundred quid. A 100 quid clutch job is probably worth doing, but add a DMF to that and most will get shot of the car.

Time was that you could keep an old clunker going for as long as you were prepared to fettle it at minimal cost (usually until either the engine expired or terminal rust developed). No more.

Worst MOT performers - Andrew-T

I understand the "logic" behind scrappage, ie not cost-effective to repair, but has the average really changed so much in such a short time ? Or is the reduction artificial due to the scrappage incentives of a few years back ?

I think a car's life mostly reflects 'fashionability'. After 12-ish years cars which do typical mileages are starting to need repairs more often, and are usually worth £1000 or less, largely because most owners want something more trendy. They are worth little because supply exceeds demand, so many get scrapped despite being rust-free and roadworthy. Usually total waste, really.

Worst MOT performers - 72 dudes

Also noticed in the so-called Top 50.

Audi 80, registered 2008.

Nuff said.