VW Touran - Cam belt Failure liability - Sibbo

Cambelt failed at 60K on 2004 plate Touran. Kit and belt changed by independent garage at 41K in 2010. problem with belt 14 months ago, same garage changed whole kit and water pump at 51K. Now belt has suffered catastrophic failure (VW dealer investigating cause). Do I have any claim with the independent garage? Belt seems to have been fitted okay (as the car has done over 7k miles since fitment) but this looks like component failure (Eg Water pump, tensioner, belt or pulley).

VW Touran - Cam belt Failure liability - concrete

Hello Sibbo, sorry to read of your problem. I don't know how the law stands in relation to guarantees of workmanship but I am sure someone on this forum will be aware. Obviously the component will carry a guarantee but how to prove it's failure is the rub. I would approach the independant garage and ask them what their position is. If you are calm and sensible about this you could get him onside and look for the causes together. If he does not carry insurance liability then he will be keen to see the component failure as a cause. Either way you both could club together and involve an independant engineer maybe the RAC or AA and identify the cause. If the component manufacturer resists and you have hard independant evidence they should give in and all your costs will be covered including the independant engineer. Sometimes the cause is difficult to ascertain and that leaves a messy court case where only the lawyers win. If you tread carefully and keep calm and polite when dealing with other people involved you may get a result. Don't look to VAG for any help because you did not use their dealer network. Best of luck and keep us posted. Cheers Concrete

Concrete, Thanks for the advice, the independent is very helpul and i do trust them, so we are co-operating at the moment. Only problem is that the vehicle broke down 240 miles from my home so is at a VW dealer away. However, both me and the independent are happy to have an 'impartial' set of eyes looking at the vehicle.

The big question will really boil down to whether the component manufacturer will accept liability! Unlikely I feel. I have a degree in law (although not currently in the profession) but this looks like a potentially costly road that I may choose not to go down.

I will have to wait and see how much the repairs are, and then decide which route to take....I'll keep the board posted.

VW Touran - Cam belt Failure liability - belucky22

Same position as you with law degree. Like you I would try and avoid courts, unless possibly small claims. Concrete's advice is abslutely spot on - I've always found co-operation and discussion to be best route for satisfactory outcome.

VW Touran - Cam belt Failure liability - Peter D

If they were VW OEM parts then they carry a 2 years warrantee if any of the parts fail. Regards Peter

Thanks for the advice, I am not 100% sure that the independent used VW OEM parts, I think he used the VW Kit, but may have used an VW approved water pump. Will have to wait and see.

You don't know how much a VW touran in this condition is worth? when running as it was a low mileage diesel, it would have reached around £4K.

VW Touran - Cam belt Failure liability - concrete

Thanks for the advice, I am not 100% sure that the independent used VW OEM parts, I think he used the VW Kit, but may have used an VW approved water pump. Will have to wait and see.

You don't know how much a VW touran in this condition is worth? when running as it was a low mileage diesel, it would have reached around £4K.

I have had the cambelt changed twice on my high miler 1.9Tdi. Always use OEM parts and an approved dealer. Also specified the water pump with the metal impeller, an Audi part I believe, as the VW one has a plastic impeller, but both are generic to the VAG engines. I always assumed the reason for this loyalty on parts was to create some goodwill in the event of a failure. If VAG OEM parts were used then they may carry the can, if not, then your claim lies with parts manufacturer. I hope your independant can assist you here. You could always hire a ramp truck to recover the vehicle yourself. Usually when a cambelt fails the engine is extremely badly damaged so driving it is impossible. If you have it at home then you can arrange for inspections to take place. Perhaps your independant is a member of a trade organisation that can offer help and advice on an inspection. Good luck. Concrete

VW dealer inspected vehicle, cam belt, tension pulleys, water pump all ok, although engine would not manually turn over, prognosis - engine major malfunction / cam shaft seize?
Quoted £420 in labour to strip engine to assess damage, then guessing around £1500 for parts and labour to fix. Car has done only 60k miles, full service history 80% of which at VW dealer. Told that as car is almost 9 years old unlikely VW would accept any liability as out of warranty. Possible 15% towards my costs incurred but I would have to pay out first then try to reclaim the money.
Decided to cut my losses, sold car to salvage firm for £1000. They'll probably drop a new engine in and sell for a tidy profit.

I will NOT be buying a VW again! Even though TDI engines are renowned to be almost bulletproof, this experience has certainly put me of VW.

VW Touran - Cam belt Failure liability - Avant

Sibbo - sorry to heare of your problems. Do consider a petrol engine for your next car: we hear too many stories like yours of expensive failure on diesels where age seems to be a factor as much as mileage.

I don't know what your budget is but there should be a Toyota Corolla Verso to suit it. If you're going for something newer, the Mazda 5 is worth a look; if you need something of similar age to the Touran, see if you can find a Honda Stream.