Mazda 323F - Tapi
Having totalled the Megane Coupe, I am now on the trail of a new car and I quite like the styling of the 323F (c.1997/8), probably in 1.5 guise. Anyone know much about the car i.e. reliability, driving experience, serious problems etc etc. Any help would be much appreciated.
Mazda 323F - No Do$h
So they wrote it off then Tapi? Did you get anywhere with the airbag enquiry?

No Dosh ** Quick, talk motoring, Mark's coming! **
Mazda 323F - Tapi
Well, they havent officially written it off yet, but their own engineer is going to look at it today. I have had someone already check it and they didnt even get past first glance stage! He just said, "Forget trying to fix that!"

As far the airbags are concerned, having read some of the replies in the airbag topic as well as talked to several other Renault Coupe owners, I thought perhaps they needn't have popped. However, I am going to wait for the insurance engineer to have a look at the car, get my money (fingers crossed) before I start asking someone to check the airbag system.
Mazda 323F - No Do$h
Good luck with the assessor.

No Dosh ** Quick, talk motoring, Mark's coming! **
Mazda 323F - Tapi
Thanks, I think I'll need it.

Any opinions on the 323F anyone?
Mazda 323F - Martin Wall
OK - the 323F is a lot cheaper now than it used to be. It seems well put together although, like all Japanese cars of this era, some of the plastics are a bit cheap and tacky. It needs alloys to look best and make it easy to sell on. They are very reliable although main dealer parts are very pricey. The doors seem to be scratched/bumped on many examples so check for repairs. You sit quite low down in the car and the ride can be a bit bumpy also. The 1.5 isn't that fast so a 1.8 might be best if you do a lot of motorway work. It's quite flash for not much cash so check it has been serviced and isn't wearing some unknown brand of cheap tyres.

Good luck!
Mazda 323F - Mondaywoe
Strange to say, a friend of mine gave me a run in a 'preregistered' one he has just bought - with a big discount (about £2000, I think) It's a diesel - but not 'common rail' so presumeably they are selling them off. Nice car, though. His was a nice metallic red, alloys etc. It didn't strike me as very noisy either - for a 'standard' diesel.

I'd agree though, about the interior trim - pretty 'tacky' and dull.

Probably very very reliable!

I remember test driving one of the first Mazda 323 'fastbacks' years ago. It seemed watchlike! Couldn't do a deal on it though so moved on to a Renault.

Good luck!

Graeme
Mazda 323F - J Bonington Jagworth
"..one of the first Mazda 323 'fastbacks'.."

We still have one - a 1990 1.8 - which runs like clockwork and despite 'cheap plastic' claims, is perfect inside. Quite sports-car like, but surprisingly practical. HJ says "sensationally reliable" and it has yet to prove him wrong. (I know that's tempting fate, but it's my partner's car...)
Mazda 323F - Martin Wall
Just to point out that I am referring to the 'old style' 323F and not the current model (or the model from the very early 90s)
Mazda 323F - THe Growler
We have run a 1994 323F as the house "hack" for years. It is a super little car and yes a bit plasticky, bumpy ride, sure but it has been impeccably reliable despite abuse and neglect by all and sundry. I know this is the Philippines but I would flush out the cooling system regularly, it has been prone to overheating (full a/c and stop start traffic in 32-25 deg C. Front tires also wear.

We bought ours from a bank repo sale for small money and on "as is where is" basis. Gets a service once a year that's it.

I have been a Mazda fan for years, have owned three different ones in the Gulf (2 929's) and here (all places with extreme driving conditions) and they just seem to be indestructible.

Mazda 323F - Martin Wall
As well as the info in 'Car by Car Breakdown' on this site take a look at: www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/car_reviews/main_review...2