MAZDA 3 TS2 AUTO '57 plate - Starter does NOT ALWAYS turn engine - moron

When ignition key is turned the starter does NOT ALWAYS turn.

First I thought it a solenoid fault, so the starter motor with solenoid were replaced.

But this intermittent fault is still there. Could it be the ignition key/lock or the gating for the automatic selector lever? Or something else?

JohnB24 (or m****)

MAZDA 3 TS2 AUTO '57 plate - Starter does NOT ALWAYS turn engine - Peter.N.

Could well be the ignition switch or anything else in the circuit, will it start after several turns of the key or do you have to do something else? If operating the switch a number of times makes it work I would go for the switch, if not could be the auto inhibiter switch, in which case moving the gear lever may bring it to life.

MAZDA 3 TS2 AUTO '57 plate - Starter does NOT ALWAYS turn engine - TeeCee

....or merely a sticking relay.

The starter solenoid circuit uses a fair bit of juice (as the solenoid also has to shove the drive into engagement) and many cars have this relay operated. A sticking relay would produce exactly those symptoms.

I'd check for a relay first and if there is one in the circuit, replace it. Cheap, easy to do and it may just fix the problem.

MAZDA 3 TS2 AUTO '57 plate - Starter does NOT ALWAYS turn engine - Cyd

Why not try connecting a bulb to the starter motor supply at the solonoid. Next time it fails to turn over, see if the bulb lights. If not, progressively move th light connection back up the circuit untill you determine which component is causing the issue. Cheaper than substitution by guesswork.

If you want a faster diagnosis, why not connect several bulbs to the different parts of the circuit and label them. Then next time the problem occurs see which doesn't light to determine where the fault lies.

Of course, if they all light and it won't turn over it's the motor unit (only test the solonoid and motor seperately if you can replace them seperately - usually they come together as one item).

If you need a new starter I can thoroughly recommend SAC in Coventry. They recently built me a recon alternator on a Saturday morning whilst I drove over there.