it needs to be automatic,
reliable,
cheap to repair,tax,insure
Economic
Under 1.6 preferably

Main use is school run, shopping, afterschool activities
I hardly ever drive on motorways
I do not drive fast

I have one child who is 7, we often have his cousins, so preferably 5 seats- our last car only had 4 seats so was not good for us (Suzuki wagon)

I liked the high driving seat of the Suzuki wagon, I also used to have an old scenic, I like a bit of space and good views to drive.

Not fussed on frills, just something that hopefully will be reliable for next few school years

Any advice or recommendations welcome, thanks
£3000 auto car needed recommendations please - Happy Blue!

Five door Korean or Japanese small hatchabck. Suzuki Swift, Hyundai Getz etc.

£3000 auto car needed recommendations please - Big John

How about a Nissan Note 1.6 auto.

Seems to be a few around at your budget.

Reliable, refined.Chain cam engine and fitted with a reliable "proper" auto box with overdirve(not nasty CVT or modern fragile twin clucth). A friend of mine has had two over many years both of which have been suprisingly economical with real life driving and both have never gone wrong.

It is a 5 seater, but probably you may struggle a bit with 3 large adults in the back. Amazing interiour space for 4 though - loads of leg room. 5 a bit tighter but OK for short trips. It also has the a high driving position.

£3000 auto car needed recommendations please - gordonbennet

Chevrolet Lacetti 1.6 Auto.

Hyundai Accent.

Kia Magentis 06 to 09...2.0 litre but frugal Diesel.

Honda Civic 01 to 05

Mazda 323 or 3

Mitsubishi Colt or Lancer, latter better IMO and an undervalued car.

Toyota Corolla.

Also strongly consider a Toyota Avensis, it will be a 1.8 but if you find a good one will be surprisingly economical and roomier than most of the above.

Notice i've avoided non Japanese or Korean makes, mainly this is due to proper auto boxes being scarce and those that are fitted sometimes being unfit for purpose IMHO, also Korean and Japanese cars are usually more reliable especially given your budget.

Good luck in the search.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/04/2013 at 22:33

£3000 auto car needed recommendations please - mss1tw

Also worth pointing out that any car will fail if you don't get it serviced!

Looked at some right states when buying 2nd hand before, cleaned every week, last serviced...the silence on the phone at least saved me the hassle of viewing.

£3000 auto car needed recommendations please - Avant

Welcome to the forum.

I'd go with the Nissan Note, as your son and his cousins will g-r-o-w. At the moment if the cousins are of similar age, 3 will fit into all of Gordonbennet's suggestions.

Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

£3000 auto car needed recommendations please - mumwithason

thanks for the recommendation so far everyone, its really appreciated

i am going to read some reviews and get some prices, try out some

i forgot to say i really like mpvs-small mpvs any recommendations other than the note??