VW Golf TDI - Bargain Basement - LuckyTrucker

Hi there, I am considering buying an old diesel Golf or Passat. I have seen them in AutoTrader for less than a grand but with astronomical milage. High milage it's self doesn't worry me but is there a point when everything is worn out or about to be?

Any advice will be welcome or are there any makes that you would recomend.

VW Golf TDI - Bargain Basement - balleballe

Which engines? if it's the 1.9TDI then the engines can go on for a very long time providing the timing belt and water pump has been changed at the correct intervals.

Unfortuanantly, after around 10 years VAG cars seem to have trouble with their electrics and suspension

VW Golf TDI - Bargain Basement - LuckyTrucker

Which engines? if it's the 1.9TDI then the engines can go on for a very long time providing the timing belt and water pump has been changed at the correct intervals.

Unfortuanantly, after around 10 years VAG cars seem to have trouble with their electrics and suspension

I was thinking of the 1.9 tdi. I would expect it would be over 10 years old because of my budget. Would it be just service items with regard electrics and suspension or could it be more terminal ? Many thanks

VW Golf TDI - Bargain Basement - Oli rag

I know you're probably after good fuel economy. Although the golf tdi is economical, after that kind of mileage it's also possible that it may cost a fortune to keep going.

With only a thousand quid to spend, I can't think of anything better than a petrol toyota corolla to risk my money on.