Honda Civic - Any thoughts on these auto hatches? - milky82
I'm in the market for an approved used auto hatch for between 8 & 10k. My biggest concern is reliability but I would like to get something which handles nicely and has a bit of poke. I do about 12000 miles a year which rules out a diesel. I live in quite a hilly area and would look to sell the car after 2-3 years.

I keep changing my mind but i think I've narrowed it down to the below, does anyone have experience of these cars? Are there any obvious contenders I've missed?

09/10 Honda Civic 1.8 (not the I-shift)
09/10 Mazda 3 2.0 TS2
09/10 Renault Megane 2.0 CVT (like the look of the coupe)

The Megane comes in at the bottom end of the budget but the other 2 will probably hold their value more when it comes to selling, the Renault / Nissan CVT seems quite reliable but is it any good to drive?
Honda Civic - Any thoughts on these auto hatches? - Avant

You won't go far wrong with the Mazda: try the Honda and see if you can live with the very bad rear visibility. The Megane is more of a gamble: there are some good ones about but they are less able to stand up to abuse or neglect by a previous owner.

As you say that reliability is your biggest concern, you're probably best off going Japanese.

Honda Civic - Any thoughts on these auto hatches? - Woody37

I test drove the radical shaped Civic in 2007, fully expecting to trade in an Octavia there and then.

I hated the harsh ride and the rear visibility is a joke.

Look again elsewhere I would say.

Honda Civic - Any thoughts on these auto hatches? - coopshere
Wife had a 2009 1.8 auto Civic, I did all the longer trips as driver. Didn't find the restricted rear view a problem. Well built and a nice auto box. For a 1.8 engine in a smallish car the power wasn't that impressive but adequate for everyday driving. The interior space was very good and the versatility of the rear folding seats was a bonus. Fuel economy was only around 34 mpg. Handling was OK but the big downside was the ride quality, very hard and even uncomfortable on potholed roads. Test drove the latest model last year with a view to buying one but the ride was not that much better so went Toyota instead.
Honda Civic - Any thoughts on these auto hatches? - focussed

I wouldn't worry about the percieved "restricted rear visibility" that everybody whinges about on the 8th generation Honda Civic. I used to teach driving in mine, all my pupils passed, loved the car, so did the driving examiners-what's the problem? Still got it still not have a problem with rear visibilty!

Honda Civic - Any thoughts on these auto hatches? - daveyK_UK

the megane mark 3 is a big improvement on the mark 2.

However it is not as good as the mazda.

Honda Civic - Any thoughts on these auto hatches? - balleballe

Mazda 3 - I've got the MK1, besides the road noise (which is much improved in the newer ones) it's an excellent car.

I prefer the Saloon though

Edited by balleballe on 21/04/2013 at 13:59

Thanks for the replies, very useful. I will test drive the Civic and the Mazda 3 over the next couple of weeks and let you know how I get on...
Honda Civic - Any thoughts on these auto hatches? - sb10

I have the 2010 Civic 1.8 SI,had it around 2 months now,I think its the best car I have owned this rear view is not a problem and have never had a reversing problem in it, mirrors are good, I think better than some others does around 32 in town but as weather warms up appears to be improving

Does go well once the VTEC comes in, one of the best parts of the car to me is the boot area its massive and you have the magic seats which are pretty light to use and appear to give more space but that may be just my impression,I bought it because of having a rover with the honda engine never let me down and is still going with another owner after 175K miles

I never had a ford or vaux last longer than a few months so I blew them out(unlucky I guess)

Thanks all for your suggestions, had an extended look at the Mazda 3 and the Civic and have to say the Civic had a certain x-factor that just gave it the edge (possibly to do with the extras and gadgets that come with the EX trim).

Auto box was very smooth, the engine did have to be revved a bit but it certainly had as much if not more power than my current Astra 1.8.

Collecting the car on Saturday for what I am hoping will be a few years of happy motoring.