BMW 320D - Smoky BMW 320D Cure - Woody37

I have had my car from new. Far from faultless, the Turbo blew at 46K (and BMW didn't want to know) but it now has 60K on the clock.

For the last 20K it has felt flat below 2,000 RPM and treated the following car to a cloud of brown/black smoke under hard acceleration, especially in kick-down.

After some web research I self-diagnosed a clogged or faulty EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve and had the EGR replaced during a service today.

My word it is like a new car!

Instant pick-up, urgent at any revs, no smoke and on a mixed road 70 mile round trip this PM it returned 58.3 MPG. I haven't seen 50+ MPG for 3 years, rarely much over 40 MPG and down to even sub-30 locally..

If you have a disel displaying anmy of the above symptoms, get a new EGR (£120). It is a revalation.

Edited by Woody37 on 19/04/2013 at 23:14

BMW 320D - Smoky BMW 320D Cure - gordonbennet

Nice one, always satifying when something really works and you can feel the difference.

Had the swirl flaps removed yet Woody?...we did on two family owned 320d's.

Worth reading up, it'll give you the heebie jeebies.

BMW 320D - Smoky BMW 320D Cure - Woody37

Mine is an 07 reg and just after the swirl flap fiasco was removed.

The blown turbo did not damage the engine, but it carried on smoking. Now I know why :)

BMW 320D - Smoky BMW 320D Cure - dfusco7

hi mate.

doing abit of research and stumbled across this.

i have the exact same problem!! Only difference is my EML comes on once i put my foot right down, did yours do this too?