Help, need a reliable car under £2k! - Irving
Hi folks, looking for some advice.
I travel a 40 mile round trip to work and need a car under 2k to get me there and back.

I'm really struggling to find a car because every time I think I see something good, I read the reviews on here and it puts me off, latest example is a 05 Focus Edge 1.8tdi with 80k miles.

Criteria as follows:
Good mpg
Power in engine when needed
Space, I'm 6ft 6
Pref a hatchback
Reliability

Open to suggestions folks, any input appreciated. Thanks
Help, need a reliable car under £2k! - SteveLee

Toyota Avensis 1.8 petrol, 40 mpg on a run, comfortable, boringly reliable.

Help, need a reliable car under £2k! - balleballe

For 2k you can get a decent petrol - most 1.8-2.0 Japanese petrols will give you 36-41 mpg on a run

If you want to stick to diesel:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201304116215678/sort/default/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/maximum-age/up_to_7_years_old/fuel-type/diesel/price-to/2000/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/sr13dp/page/1/radius/1500?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201304156271450/sort/default/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/maximum-age/up_to_7_years_old/fuel-type/diesel/price-to/2000/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/2/radius/1500/postcode/sr13dp?logcode=p

Help, need a reliable car under £2k! - Cyd

I would suggest sticking with a petrol car. HJs concerns regarding the reliability and repair costs of older diesels is well documented. You are also well under the kind of mileage that makes diesel more economic (again going off HJs advice).

You don't say what kind of drive your commute is??

Help, need a reliable car under £2k! - Irving
It's a straightforward journey, A roads mostly/dual carriageway.
Couple of longish hills but mostly flat otherwise.

I'm looking for a hatchback, Golf, Focus sizing maybe, an Avensis, as reliable as they are is just too big for my needs. I need a balance of power and mpg.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, {CydP} you got any?
Help, need a reliable car under £2k! - Avant

I think you need to go round some car dealers or a car supermarket and try various cars for size. It's difficult for me (5'7") to recommend something which might fit me but not you at 6'6".

Maybe some other tall guys will see this and offer suggestions. You need an adjustable driving seat which will go low enough.

Okay, how about a Citroën C3 1.4HDi 16V? Quite punchy, astoundingly economical, fairly reliable (yes really!), a good motorway cruiser and roomy inside (driver wise) for the size of car. Very unfashionable so can be bought pretty cheaply. Despite being a diesel there's no DPF or DMF to worry about.

If you can't bring yourself to buy a Citroën then Mitsubishi Colt 1.5 diesels are creeping below £2K these days. 0-60 in 10 seconds and ~60mpg on a run. The ride isn't anywhere nearly as good as the softly-sprung C3 though.

Help, need a reliable car under £2k! - BenG

Suggest avoiding diesels as a major component failure in a modern diesel will cost a fortune and wipe out any fuel savings.

I'd suggest a Toyota Corolla 1.6 petrol or a Honda Civic (2001-2005 model) 1.6 petrol. Plenty of room in both, great reliability and you should get 40+ mpg on a run at 70mph. Don't be afraid of higher mileages towards 100k provided there's a full service history.

Or for a smaller car, if you can fit in, a Toyota Yaris 1.3 petrol.

HTH

Ben

Help, need a reliable car under £2k! - gordonbennet

Yes good choices Corolla and Civic, though as with every car need regular servicing to give them a fighting chance.

You would get a Korean car cheaper for newer and lower mileage, less fashionable and prices reflect this.

Help, need a reliable car under £2k! - Cyd

A friend of mine is about 6'2'' and has a Cit C3 1.4 petrol. His commute is 27 miles each way mixed driving. He gets about 46mpg.

The car is surprisingly good. DIY servicing is quite easy too. It seems to be quite easy on tyres and brakes..

Help, need a reliable car under £2k! - Woody37

It has to be Japanese IMHO.

I recently drove my parents' 02 reg Toyota Corolla 1.6 petrol and was extremely impressed with performance, space and build. It felt like a much newer car.

It has been faultless from new.

A friend of mine is about 6'2'' and has a Cit C3 1.4 petrol. His commute is 27 miles each way mixed driving. He gets about 46mpg.

The car is surprisingly good. DIY servicing is quite easy too. It seems to be quite easy on tyres and brakes..

When I drove my other half's C3 1.4 petrol for a month, I averaged 53mpg - mainly motorway and A-road driving..The car has been superb had it about two years.

Help, need a reliable car under £2k! - daveyK_UK

kia magentis or hyundai sonata

Help, need a reliable car under £2k! - rgt1973

I'm just getting rid of my 02 reg Mondeo 1.8 petrol. Has been the best car I have ever owned. Have been getting 43mpg+ but now doing nearly 20,000 miles a year so have just replaced it with a Peugeot 407sw hdi. The mondeo is comfy and good if you are tall(I'm 6'2") , its cheap to fix and in the 9 years we have owned it it has been totally reliable. You could do alot worse and they are cheap as chips. Whoever gets mine will do ok.

Help, need a reliable car under £2k! - Bobbin Threadbare

I sold a Mk I Mazda 6 in the winter - did about 20k p.a. in it and it's essentially the same car as a Mondeo (also a 1.8). Comfortable and reliable. I only sold it because a MX-5 came up at the right price. Tall husband (6ft 3) found it very roomy and nice to drive.

Help, need a reliable car under £2k! - Oli rag

If the mondeo has been as good as you say, why on earth would you buy anything other than a diesel mondeo?

Help, need a reliable car under £2k! - rgt1973

Too many horror stories of tdci injector problems! Plus not nearly so much kit for the money! Got a good warranty with the Peugeot!