4wd cars - regular suspension realignment - RT

Do all 4wd cars need regular suspension realignment ?

For nearly 4 decades, firstly on Fords then Vauxhalls, none of my 2wd cars needed regular suspension realignment - most got the front toe setting done accurately just after purchase but never touched after that - all tyres wore evenly indicating no issues - if it makes a difference, all the Fords had live rear axles and the Vauxhalls all had torsion beam rear axles.

Both the 4wd cars I've owned, a Subaru Outback and Hyundai Santa Fe, have shown uneven tyre wear at around 15,000 miles but put onto regular full suspension realignments to ensure new tyres aren't wrecked prematurely - and every other 4wd car I research, right up to Range Rover, seems to get the same issue.

I'm not talking about live axled Defenders going up mountains but 4wd SUVs with full independent suspension used for no more than light off-roading or in many cases no off-roading at all.

Is it simply a fact of life that proper rear independent suspension (not torsion beam) always need regular full axis suspension realignments and that my link with 4wd is co-incidental - or is there something about 4wd that makes it more likely/necessary ?

Edited by RT on 17/04/2013 at 10:09

4wd cars - regular suspension realignment - andyfr

I have had a Land Rover Defender, two Freelander 1s, a Honda CRV and now a Freelander 2 and never had a problem with suspension realignment.

I have had a Land Rover Defender, two Freelander 1s, a Honda CRV and now a Freelander 2 and never had a problem with suspension realignment.

As far as the IRS ones went, ie Freelander 1, CR-V and Freelander 2 - did any of them go off-road ?

4wd cars - regular suspension realignment - andyfr

No, none of them ever went off road and the current one never has. The only reason for having four wheel drive is that we live in the Highlands of Scotland and usually get a fair bit of snow.

Edited by andyfr on 17/04/2013 at 16:44

That may be the difference.

Is suspension realignment a regular requirement for any off-road use - not counting live axle 4x4s like Defender where only a bent axle signifies "out of alignment" !

4wd cars - regular suspension realignment - NARU

I've never had to have an alignment on my 4x4s - a Mitsubishi SHogun and a Toyota Landcruiser. The Shogun had huge amounts of hard core offroad use (I lived in Kenya at the time).

The landcruiser has an easy time - the worst it normally sees is a local ford, and towing my caravan on/off grassy fields. But it does do call-out duty locally during the snow and ice (live near a major hospital, so lots of demand).

I'm beginning to conclude there's no issue with live rear axle 4x4s - so maybe it's just those with IRS.