Dacia Logan MCV - Why buy a Skoda Rapid when you can have this...... - Trilogy

..................for half the price? Estelle would have been a far better name than Rapid.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/dacia-announce...s

Dacia Logan MCV - Why buy a Skoda Rapid when you can have this...... - Engineer Andy

Did you check what engines they have - they're TINY: the cheap 1.2 petrol only has 74bhp, for a car the size of this one (a medium family estate) is woefully low - even the 1.5 diesel is "only" 89bhp.

I bet the 0-60 times are well over 15 sec, plus to make any kind of progress you'll have to thrash the proverbial nuts of them, reducing mpg (the whole point of having small engines) to probably very low levels. They may as well have gone for at least 1.6 ltr petrol and 2 ltr diesels to get better mpg - they've IMO gone for the small engines just to save money. I think they could've put the larger engines in and jacked the prices up by a grand or two - no-one would've complained as the car would still be cheap.

Did you check what engines they have - they're TINY: the cheap 1.2 petrol only has 74bhp, for a car the size of this one (a medium family estate) is woefully low - even the 1.5 diesel is "only" 89bhp.

I bet the 0-60 times are well over 15 sec, plus to make any kind of progress you'll have to thrash the proverbial nuts of them, reducing mpg (the whole point of having small engines) to probably very low levels. They may as well have gone for at least 1.6 ltr petrol and 2 ltr diesels to get better mpg - they've IMO gone for the small engines just to save money. I think they could've put the larger engines in and jacked the prices up by a grand or two - no-one would've complained as the car would still be cheap.

Renault diesels AFAIK tend to be 1.5, hence 1.5 in a Dacia. It isn't the kind of car you are going to drive fast.

Dacia Logan MCV - Why buy a Skoda Rapid when you can have this...... - daveyK_UK

tHE 1.2 is a tried and tested engine, the estates only weight 1100kg, the 1,2 wont be fast but it will pull it around ok.

Dacia Logan MCV - Why buy a Skoda Rapid when you can have this...... - Engineer Andy

1100kg for a car bigger than a Focus does seem a bit on the light side - on checking HJ's car-by-car review, I couldn't find its NCAP rating, but given its weight, I suspect it will achieve a 3* or 4* at best. Even so, its not going to be exactly spritely when on the move with those engines.

The Kia Rio Eco diesel had the same problem (from reviews) - underpowered engine which meant you have to give it a decent amount of welly to make progress if there's any more than one person in the car, dropping the mpg considerably. If this car is SUPPOSED to be bought to carry large loads, then its going to be dreadfully slow, and probably will be the equivalent of a car towing a caravan in the eyes of other drivers.

Dacia Logan MCV - Why buy a Skoda Rapid when you can have this...... - daveyK_UK

I think your exaggerating, yes it wont be fast but it wont be caravan like.The logan should be avaialble for the media to test drive in the coming weeks, lets wait and see what HJ thinks.

Dacia Logan MCV - Why buy a Skoda Rapid when you can have this...... - TeeCee

Well let's hope it's better than the previous version (common in these parts).

Ugly as sin, to the point where you'd expect Ssangyong to have sacked the designer. Looks like several other cars glued together badly, with panel gaps that early Range Rovers would be ashamed of. Spartan to the point of hair-shirted aestheticism inside and gifted with Vauxhall levels of bits that drop off.

You get what you paid for......

It looks ok, and has nearly (2 litre difference) as much boot space as a V70.

Dacia Logan MCV - Why buy a Skoda Rapid when you can have this...... - oldtoffee
Hired a Megane many years ago in Spain with the 80 bhp diesel. Went very well so quite capable I'd have thought of powering a bigger car albeit a bit less spritely.

Edited by oldtoffee on 09/04/2013 at 10:28

Well let's hope it's better than the previous version (common in these parts).

Ugly as sin, to the point where you'd expect Ssangyong to have sacked the designer. Looks like several other cars glued together badly, with panel gaps that early Range Rovers would be ashamed of. Spartan to the point of hair-shirted aestheticism inside and gifted with Vauxhall levels of bits that drop off.

You get what you paid for......

BMW 1 series is ugly but that doesn't stop it being a Top 10 seller. Stick a BMW badge and grille on a Dacia and call it a 1/2 series. :) BTW, Dacias are selling like hot cakes!

I told a collegue about the Logan MCV (estate), he went down to look at one but they do not have demo's in the UK showrooms yet due to the demand on mainland europe.

Demos arrive late May.

He has ordered one with no deposit down (dealer is confident he will sell it regardless) but the date he has been given is ' september'.

Its going to be hard or the Chinese to muscle in, it would appear as if Dacia has the budget new motoring market all to itself since Kia, Hyundai and suzuki moved up market and Daihatsu stopped importing.

How are the great wall steed 4x4 sales going?

They are meant to be better than expected.

Be interesting if MG can sell 100 MG3s.

Dacia Logan MCV - Why buy a Skoda Rapid when you can have this...... - Alf_Hooker
These 1.5 dci Renault engines are very very good. Found in all sorts of cars including Mercedes and Nissans. I got done for speeding in a thus equipped Renault scenic, in Spain, weighs about 1300kg and went very well.

Had a drive in a 1.2 Logan MCV ambinece spec

Really impressed.

We where going to go replace the pool car Nissan note with another brand new note, but this is a serious contender. The boot is huge and brand new with a full size spare it would only cost us £7905 on the road.

Its by far the best of the Dacia range, nothing on the market compares to it for value or space.

The 1.2 seemed to pull OK, I was expecting it to struggle.

I would reccomend anyone on the market for a 3 year old estate gives this car full consideration.

Dacia Logan MCV - Why buy a Skoda Rapid when you can have this...... - alan1302

They have already sold more than that

They have already sold more than that

I saw 4 at Needham Market MG and was quite impressed by the way they looked. Apparently, just about everyone who test drove one, bought one.

Dacia Logan MCV - Why buy a Skoda Rapid when you can have this...... - Avant

It's possible that the Logan is too new for an NCAP rating, but I don't think that other Dacias have been getting 5 stars.

If it does get a good NCAP rating, its cheapness and capacity could make it the staple fare for the man who comes to mend the photocopier. Astra watch out....

If it does get a good NCAP rating, its cheapness and capacity could make it the staple fare for the man who comes to mend the photocopier. Astra watch out....

Or for the man who doesn't have more money than sense.

Dacia Logan MCV - Why buy a Skoda Rapid when you can have this...... - Collos25

It has a 5 star NCAP rating I believe you cannot sell a car in Europe without one.

Dacia Logan MCV - Why buy a Skoda Rapid when you can have this...... - alan1302

There are plenty of cars for sale at the moment that don't have a 5 star rating. Would that juts be for new car launches?

Dacia Logan MCV - Why buy a Skoda Rapid when you can have this...... - xtrailman

From what i've read the Darcias are crude cars but pretty good off road, were refinment isnt really a priority.

On road they get poor reports.

Dacia Logan MCV - Why buy a Skoda Rapid when you can have this...... - skidpan

Owning a Kia I think proves that the badge on the car does not particularly bother me providing the cars does the job I buy it for.

On paper the Logan looked like a really good value replacement for the Ceed SW with my main reservations being the available power units. I am sure all will be capable of powering the car along legal speeds but as a driver its nice to have some extra power to overtake especially when loaded, none of the 3 units offered appear to have the grunt I desire.

But the other night on my way home I actually saw one, what a disapointment. It must be one of the ugliest new cars in recent times. The Sandero is fine, totally inofensive and the Duster, while not pretty is OK ish but the Logan has looks only mother could love.

Dacia Logan MCV - Why buy a Skoda Rapid when you can have this...... - HandCart

I was at a Renault dealership the other week and on exiting I picked up a few brochures to take home for my young son to have a look at the pictures.

The brochures included ones for the Dacia Logan and the Renault Megane SportTourer. When I got home I was perusing them myself and they contain quite a lot of tech specs and dimensions for brochures nowadays. I noted that the Megane's boot was only fractionally bigger than the Logan's -an inch or two in just one of the dimensions perhaps.

And when considering the two cars with the same 1.5 diesel engine -ok maybe the Megane had 100BHP against the Logan's 90 - the Logan was something like £10700 and the list price of the Megane was over £17000.

The Logan is even 99g/km for CO2, so it's not an old-tech uneconomical vehicle.

You can even extend the warranty up to 5 years for a one-off payment of, what was it, £800?, £500? A facility which I'm not sure was even available on the Renault. ( ? )

People primarily buy an estate car because they recognise they have a requirement for the boot space. On that basis, here seems an opportunity to buy effectively the same vehicle, even down to having the same engine, for massively less outlay.

Apart from having a different (and probably less practical, boot-roofline-wise) body shape, the Megane purely seemed to offer just extra trinkets; few of which you would truly miss in real day-to-day life.

I've long, long wondered why someone wouldn't sell a car in the UK that was something like a Suzuki Alto or Kia Picanto but with an estate boot on the back-end: The existing tiny boots on those cars are the main thing that prevent them being practical as a cheap-and-perfectly-adequate only-car for a couple with 2 pre-teen children. I'm glad that Dacia has done pretty-much that, but as it turns out, produced something which appears to be at least as accomodating as an Astra estate, never mind a Clio estate. Great!

Dacia Logan MCV - Why buy a Skoda Rapid when you can have this...... - smallcar

I think this car will sell well. In the UK where most cars live a life of pootling about in the suburbs and on motorswaysthecameras and traffic preventing most spirited driving I think it'll find many willing buyers who will keep staring at the sticker price with a grin on their face. There are a lot of people unable or unwilling to pay for ever rising list prices from the so called mainstream manufacturers who are trying to get us to accept that a modest family hatchback should cost £20k plus.lots of people are on fixed or straightened incomes/salaries that haven't gone up in years.watch Dacia hoover up those sales.

Dacia Logan MCV - Why buy a Skoda Rapid when you can have this...... - retgwte

I was going to buy a Logan MCV but ended up with a Stepway, as I don’t really need the space and the extra ground clearance is useful.

It is not perfect, but then nor are many mainstream cars. The things it needs to really massively improve would not cost much, so I expect other makers to be under a lot of pressure as they improve.

Apparently when they stop producing the current Twingo they are going to move the production gear to Romania and get Dacia to produce a version of the Twingo with a target UK price of 5000 quid new. If this comes to pass it will kill the market for second hand Aygo’s and the like.

Dacia Logan MCV - Why buy a Skoda Rapid when you can have this...... - groaver

Ha! Wait for the day that the Romanians and Indians start unionising their workforces.

They could always shift production to the UK then I suppose. ;)