2006 Volkswagen Golf - MOT Mileage & Service History - cagiva

I was wondering if someone could give me a little bit of advice. Earlier in the week I put a deposit on a 2006 volkswagen golf from a small used car dealer. The mileage listed on the website was just over 42,000 miles which is good for a car that age.

The car has no service history, the book only has the delivery inspection in it - no other servicing. The car has only one owner, it was bought new from a VW dealer and traded back in to that dealer, who must have sold it to this used car firm.

The MOT certificates stack up. First one had 21,000 miles (7000 a year) and each one since has a rise of 7000 miles/year.

I have phoned the VW dealer the car was from and the garage that did it's MOTs and neither of them claim to have ever serviced the car. I assume it must have been serviced, it was bought brand new and right now has michelin tyres on it (I heard having good tyres is a good sign).

I booked an AA vehicle inspection, which isn't until Monday. Apparently the dealer got the car MOTed today (they told me), so I decided to check on the motinfo.gov website.

In the latest MOT it now lists the mileage of the car as 62,500 miles. Why would this be? Is something dodgy going on or has someone made a mistake? A km/miles mistake maybe happened but the numbers are a bit out. Should I phone the dealer or should I wait till I got and pay the balance, but ask to see the MOT certificate?

The car was traded in in August with 42,000 miles and hasn't been driven since then. The car has 42000 on the odometer when I test drove it. Should I be concerned?

Edited by cagiva on 05/04/2013 at 18:20

2006 Volkswagen Golf - MOT Mileage & Service History - RaineMan

The latest MOT mileage could be an error. However personally I would want to see some service history to back everything up. Golfs are not cheap but there are plenty out there.

Ok thank you, is there any way to get it rectified so it doesn't look like it has been clocked?

Also, I did an HPI check and it failed on mileage. It was just because I entered 41,900 which is what it had. However, it had on record having 42,000 at it's last service (when it was traded it). Somebody obviously rounded it up, but not it fails HPI checks? Even though I changed the mileage on the HPI site to 42,000 it still says it fails.

Edited by cagiva on 05/04/2013 at 21:58

2006 Volkswagen Golf - MOT Mileage & Service History - J89

In terms of getting the MOT certificate changed / records changed I think your best bet would be to speak to VOSA (or local VOSA office to the garage the car was MOT'd at) They may be able to shed some light on getting the 'incorrect' certificate corrected / re-issued.

As has been mentioned above, incorrect mileage on an MOT certificate can simply be user input error / someone not paying attention!

Only thing I would suggest, is inspect any paperwork with the car, for any dashpod or electrical work that has been carried out on the car, which may have caused the dashpod to fail, be replaced, and hence a different reading (from recon dashpod)

Good luck, and as said above don't rush into anything. If something doesn't seem right, it usually isn't with used cars! Plenty of nice Golf's out there!

Thanks for the help :)

If the dealer can't sort it then I will talk to VOSA. Its not that it doesn't seem right - the only negative thing about this car is the lack of service history.

It has low mileage (7000/year) and this is backed up by all the MOT certificates. It is in good condition and felt good to drive. I am getting an AA inspection as well on Monday or Tuesday.

The main thing I wanted to know was what the reason for having 60000 miles listed on its last MOT could be, considering I sat in the car a day before that and it had 42000 miles. And I would like to know the service history, mainly to see what needs doing/has been done.

2006 Volkswagen Golf - MOT Mileage & Service History - veloster

only advice i can give you is do not pay any more money until everything is sorted out,however long that may take,,dont know what deposit you have paid but better to be fighting for that back than the full amount,,if its only a one owner car try and get in touch with the previous owner from the log book,,

good luck,,take your time,,and plenty of other cars out there,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have only paid £100 deposit by credit card, car is £5800. The dealer is writing to the old owner about the service history.

Thanks for the advice,

2006 Volkswagen Golf - MOT Mileage & Service History - Cyd

I find myself wondering why you even put any money down on this car in the first place?

Try and get your deposit back and find another car - one whee the documentation stacks up and it hasn't stood for 8 months!!

Well the car is good value, low mileage for it's age and seems in good condition. I am getting an AA inspection done. Even though they aren't great, they should be able to tell me if its a 40,000 mile car, and if so whether it has been serviced.

2006 Volkswagen Golf - MOT Mileage & Service History - Avant

Absolutely agree with the above. There are lots of Golfs for sale with full service histories, so there's no need to take a risk with one that hasn't, let alone this one where the mileage seems to be suspect too.

if the mileage can be clarified and the service history found and the AA inspection is good then would still be worth considering

I don't really think the mileage is suspect. It goes up consistently at about 7000/year, only thing is I am wondering why the mileage logged on the MOT today was 60,000 it must be a mistake.

Service history is the only worry. I tried phoning the VW dealer that sold and pxed it, and they only have records of a service when it was exchanged.

I phoned the garage that did the MOT's and it only MOTed it, never serviced it. All the MOTs have no advisories except one which was for tyres.

I phoned the main VW dealer to the old owner and they never serviced it. The used car dealer told me he couldn't give me the old owners address, but he was going to try and phone/write to them and find out about servicing.

I remembered the name and street address from the V5 since it was infront of me, so I could just use directory enquiries and phone the old keeper myself but I dont know if this is a good idea.

would be a good idea to speak to the previous owner,they should have nothing to hide now the car is not theres,,,have part ex quite a few cars myself and have had phone calls from buyers wanting to know about the car they are going to buy,didnt bother me myself and was always happy to help them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

2006 Volkswagen Golf - MOT Mileage & Service History - pd

VAG keep a central record of visits to franchised dealers so you could call them to see if there is anything on their computer.

Watch HPI's mileage checks - they're pretty rubbish to be honest - they take mileage YOU enter as valid data so once you enter a wrong amount it will for ever show up yet they DON't even take MOT data.

Great thanks, I am going to phone VW customer service tomorrow, hopefully they are open.

I know the HPI check is terrible. There are three entries in it (because MOTs are included):

August 2012 - 42,000 (this is when car was traded into main dealer)

April 2013 - 41924 (me doing the HPI check - caused a fail)

April 2013 - 42000 (me changing it to 42000 as its an obvious rounding error)

But it still fails HPI checks because of that. Terrible system. Surely if you knew a cars registration and wanted to, you could pay for an HPI and either ruin or fabricate its mileage?

One other thing before I go to bed. I know a basic service is filters/oil etc. and that one of the main things to look at replacing is a cam-belt.

Am I right in understanding that a cam belt needs replacing after xxxxx thousand miles, but in some cars there is a cam chain which never needs replacing?

If so, does anyone know if the 2006 (mk5) golf 1.4 TSI engine (not standard 1.4) has a cam belt or cam chain?

2006 Volkswagen Golf - MOT Mileage & Service History - Collos25

VW have won the golden carrot award in germany for the worst engine produced in modern times it being the 1.4tsi engine if you are lucky the timeing chain and sprockets will have been changed FOC by VW you need to check, if it has not been changed you run the risk of ending up with a pile of scrap.

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/vw-1.4-tsi-probleme-mit-steuerketten-2892135.html

Forgot the link.

2006 Volkswagen Golf - MOT Mileage & Service History - J89

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=95765

This might be of use..

I decided to take a little risk and phone the number listed in directory enquiries for the ex-keeper.

He seemed happy to help, and says that the car was serviced regularely. His son is a trained professional mechanic, that is his main job, so he did the servicing on the car. He said that there were never any problems with the car.

I am happy, if the AA inspection checks out then great :D

2006 Volkswagen Golf - MOT Mileage & Service History - pd

"But it still fails HPI checks because of that. Terrible system. Surely if you knew a cars registration and wanted to, you could pay for an HPI and either ruin or fabricate its mileage?"

Yes, you can, and it is not beyond some dealers to quickly do a NMR check on a potential part ex out the window then do another one with the customer in front of them and say "oh dear, there is a mileage error on your car - it's clocked - I'll have to reduce the part exchange by £1500". Worried customer then agrees desperate to be shot of car they now think has done 250,000.

HPI is sometimes spoken of as some sort of statuory body and definate authority on cars - it's not - they're just a company making money on keeping records and whilst useful should always be cross verified and not taken as gospel whether they say a car is good or bad.

I am amazed you have a car with dubious mileage the worst engine you could have no service records or bills and you still want to buy the car,there must be thousands of genuine Golfs for sale why on earth pick a dubious motor.

The car doesn't have dubious mileage, it has a consistent 7000/year. I was mainly asking about the last MOT, whether there could have been an error and if it can be corrected? I sat in the car the day before the MOT, with 42000 miles but the MOT says 62,000.

So now I have a golf which is:

• Top of my budget, but very good value for money.
  • Reduced twice due to lack of interest, suposedly due to lack of service history.
  • Consistent low mileage
  • I have now verified its servicing
  • No advisory on any MOT, which I assume is unlikely if the car had never been serviced
  • Very good condition isnside and out
  • Conditional of passing AA inspection
  • 3 month warranty

And you are amazed that this car is good? To be honest everyone here has given me helpful advice regarding servicing/mileage but you see more interested in insulting me for managing to find a good car.

As moderator I should have said 'welcome to the forum'.

Almost all of us try to be helpful, so don't worry about Collos. He always 'knows best' and implies that everyone else, including me, is an idiot. He often talks sense but can't seem to express himself politely.

I think that with this Golf it all depends on whether you feel you can trust the previous owner and his son's competence as a mechanic. You're right to have an AA inspection: if it throws up anything dodgy, as others have said there are lots of other used Golfs around.

the worst thing to do when buying a new or used car is to just rush in and buy it then realise your mistakes later,,so you are doing all the right things now in checking everything out before hand,,,,the AA inspection will hopefully complete the jigsaw,,, good luck,,

Yes, exactly. The car is very good value, I just need to work out why. I have done my research, filled in the blanks - I now have the whole story about the cars life.

1 old owner - purchased new - serviced by his son, a professional mechanic (employed - not a part timer) - MOTed every year without advisory - low mileage. Without the inspection and service history I would become much more weary about it.

Thanks for the advice, I just need to wait for the inspection and try and sort out this latest MOT mileage error, so it doesn't affect anything in the future.

Thank you, I have had some good advice so far. TBH the ex-owner sounded genuine, he had no reason to lie. It didn't sound like he was making stuff up, he was happy enough to chat about it and said he had never had any problems with it, it had been a great car for him and he traded it in for a new golf. He also told me to take care of it.

I would never buy the car if the AA inspection had bad things in it. The dealer told me if the AA inspection had anything like "brake discs near end of life" and stuff like that, then they would fix it for me. If it was catasrophic then I can get my deposit back.

Thanks for your help :)

If the last owner bought another Golf, that's always a good sign as he was clearly happy with the first one.

Thanks, thats what he told me on the phone.

I am not 100% sure, but the fact that:

A. The car has four michelin tyres on it, all the same type, not a mixture of random chinese ones.

B. The car has never had an MOT advisory, so it must have been maintained well.

Are these signs that it was taken care of. The peugeot which I didn't care about, and I was running into the ground, I just put on the cheapest tyres one by one when they needed replacing.

And for the MOT, say its brake discs/pads or something like that weren't being changed, it would have failed its MOT. So someone must have been doing it - his son.

Is this reasonable thinking, or am I just wishful for the best?

Edited by cagiva on 06/04/2013 at 22:13

The reason its so been reduced twice is twofold one its lack of any service history and no matter what you say the mileage is dubious because it cannot be proved plus its the most unreliable engine VAG have produced.There are thousands of Golfs out there why risk good money on a suspect one..

Edited by Collos25 on 06/04/2013 at 22:38

How is mileage dubious? It is proven. The MOTs are pretty substantial - it goes up 7000/year. If the MOTs done prove mileage then how can you prove mileage on any car?

Please let me know why you think it is unproven/dubious and I will look into it because I genuinely don't want to buy a bad car, but I don't think you understand exactly the steps I have taken to check everything out.

The reason is that I want a TSI model and my budget wont stretch that far unless it is clearly a bad deal (damaged, needs repairs etc.) except for this - because most people are put off by lack of service history, it has been reduced.

Mileage is completely proven, it is a 100% non-issue. I just want to know how to get the mileage corrected on the most recent MOT.

2006 Volkswagen Golf - MOT Mileage & Service History - bathtub tom

>> If it was catasrophic then I can get my deposit back.

Really, you reckon so?

I sincerely hope you go through with the purchase, because leaving a deposit is AFAIK proof of intent to purchase, unless you have it in writing that it's a returnable deposit?

Yes, my order form says at the bottom:

"Subject to AA inspection"

2006 Volkswagen Golf - MOT Mileage & Service History - brum

Just my gut feelings.....

the only negative thing about this car is the lack of service history.

After the legal documentation, isnt that the single most important thing to look for when buying a seven year old car (some evidence - any real evidence it was ever serviced?)

His son is a trained professional mechanic, that is his main job, so he did the servicing on the car

So does his professional training include not filling in any paperwork whatsoever (service booklet) or providing some scant evidence of servicing (the odd receipt - an oil filter - a spark plug - some oil)? Perhaps he'll give you the name/address of the garage where he works so you can (physically) go and check up he exists and is really a mechanic.....

2006 (mk5) golf 1.4 TSI engine (not standard 1.4)

Is this a 140bhp/170bhp Twin charger (GT/Sports) model introduced late 2006? - If not it must be the 1.4 FSi model as the standard Tsi didnt seem to exist before 2007

Anyway £5800 is way overpriced even if it had some service history

I have never known an MOT tester to put down anything but the real,actual odometer reading on a certificate (surely they would lose their licence straightaway for such a basic error)

Good luck with the car, you're obviously besotted with it and determined to buy it no matter what, even though the basic checks all shout "walk away"........

Edited by brum on 07/04/2013 at 01:08

I would never accept the ex-keepers word for it if it was a private sale. But the car was px-ed and then sold to a used car dealer, why would he ever make up this story?

Yes it is the 140bhp Twin Charger model (5 door sports).

£5800 is underpriced, go send me a link to a TSI in Scotland for that much which is not from a private seller.

I was going to post back here with the outcome of the AA inspection and if I bought it, the outcome of the car. But instead of giving me advice you just seem to think I am stupid.

I have had much more help on a VW forum in terms of what to look for, and check up on. Here is is just:

1. Moan about lack of service history, even though there is a reasonable explanation from someone not involved with the sale and with nothing to benefit from lieing.

2. Keep on going on about a mileage discrepancy that doesn't exist.

3. Keep telling me I chose the wrong model, despite the review on this website saying "Decent handling and comfortable on the move, impressive TSI engines, massive improvement over the previous Golf" and the same with other sites, which swayed my decision towards this model. If it is as terrible as you guys keep telling me, why do all the magazines claim it is a great engine.

But no, of course this car has never been serviced. It somehow runs completely fine with the same oil, filters and brake pads that it was delivered with 7 years and 40000 miles ago. And the ex-keeper is definitely conspiring with a car dealer to scam someone - it all makes so much sense. And dont forget all of the mileage discrepancies, just forget that is has a documented 7000/year.

I will just stick to the VW forum, at least they have given me some actual helpful advice on what to look for when I go to pick it up, instead of belittling everything I say.

TBH I wont be back on this forum to let you know how I get on - the way everyone here acts is incredibly offputting to new members.

Edited by cagiva on 07/04/2013 at 01:43

2006 Volkswagen Golf - MOT Mileage & Service History - brum

ask for opinions and then gets so upset when someone gives an honest opinion that doesnt match his own?

2006 Volkswagen Golf - MOT Mileage & Service History - VolvoT5

2006 is not a new car and once outside of the manufacturers warranty period most cars are probably going to miss or exceed a service interval every now and then............

However, if I were spending nearly 6k (a lot of money to most of us) I would want to see some evidence of the car having been looked after. I mean even if the person has 'home serviced' it then at least they should have some recent receipts for oil, filters & other parts purchased. Without any history then for all you know the car could have done 80k in the first 2.5 years and chopped back to 21k just before the first MOT.

Good tyres can be a good sign as people who don't service are hardly likely to splash out on preimum tyres........ but again, it isn't a guarantee. My parents have never had their car properly serviced in the 5 years they have owned it, they just send it off to a family friend for repairs when things break or are completely knackered, yet it always has premium brand tyres on - bought as part-worns from the local backstreet tyre place!

I don't know what warranty you are getting, but most of the insurance based ones are not worth the paper they are written on as they so rarely actually pay out. SOGA does at least offer some protection from major faults in the first 6 months or so.

Personally I wouldn't buy it unless it was exceptionally cheap, leaving me a reserve fund for repairs. It isn't like a GOLF is exactly a rare car.

2006 Volkswagen Golf - MOT Mileage & Service History - VolvoT5

Oh, and op: "yes it is the 140bhp Twin Charger model (5 door sports).

£5800 is underpriced, go send me a link to a TSI in Scotland for that much which is not from a private seller."

I agree there are no others on the autotrader for <7k.

" my budget wont stretch that far unless it is clearly a bad deal (damaged, needs repairs etc.) except for this - because most people are put off by lack of service history, it has been reduced."

Yeah but the reason this is 5800 is because although it isn't damaged or in need of repairs, it has absolutely no history.

Car dealers aren't stupid, they buy low and sell high for a living. The car will not be underpriced unless the dealer wants to sell it in a hurry for a reason....

2006 Volkswagen Golf - MOT Mileage & Service History - 72 dudes

The OP has gone.

I think he's in the Nile.

Oh hang on, I mean in denial.

2006 Volkswagen Golf - MOT Mileage & Service History - RaineMan

Some years ago as a result of someone driving into my parked utterly reliable high mileage car (over 170k) I needed a car pretty quickly. I saw an Omega at a small independent dealer. Like the Golf there was no service history. The dealer told me that the service history was on its way together with the spare key. As everything seemed OK (including a mileage, write off, etc. check online – can’t remember company) otherwise I went ahead. Subsequently I lived to regret it. The service history and spare key never appeared – once the dealer had his money he did not want to know (still trading but not really appropriate to mention the name). And the car turned into the most unreliable one I have ever owned. After a number of breakdowns involving recovery to the local Vauxhall dealer the dealer got a print out of the car’s history. It had been supplied to a large company and was serviced regularly until they disposed of it at three years of age. The next two years until I brought it indicated no main dealer servicing. However the mileage figures just did not add up. It turned out that a small business had brought it and put it on a private plate. I can only surmise that it was clocked and covered many more miles. After struggling for a few years in the continual hope that it would ultimately prove reliable it suffered terminal engine failure and I weighed it in!

Just incase anyone is wondering about the outcome.

I got an AA inspection that showed no problems except rear tyres close to legal limit. The MOT was correct on the motgov website and I have a new certificate.

The car got a full service before I took it away.

Since buying it I have done 2300 miles including 400 in two days on the motorway, plus varying scenery. It has been great. Only problem was the parking sensors were very quiet, you could only hear them with the radio off - this was fixed very quickly by the dealer.

I am just posting this to let people know that you can get bargains on low mileage cars - lack of service history is a bad thing, but do your research and it could be ok.

Everyone told me to use my instincts, which is what I did. Obviously it could still go wrong but it seems a geat car so far.

2006 Volkswagen Golf - MOT Mileage & Service History - 72 dudes

Glad it's going well so far, and thanks for coming back with the update.

2006 Volkswagen Golf - MOT Mileage & Service History - belucky22

Just started reading this at the end. I agree with regards to standards of respect on forums although this appears on many of them at some time. It is not typical of the majority of posts which are intended to help. I have found the forum helpful. Thank you for letting us know the successful outcome. It increases people's experience.

Cagiva - thank you for coming back to us: you said you wouldn't and I can quite underxtan why.

The key to forums like this is to be prepared to listen to advice you don't want to hear (I think you were) but to ignore any idiot who is rude to you: they are simply on an ego trip. Any advice worth having will be given politely and constructively, even if it may disagree with others' views.

I was one of those who said 'look elsewhere'; but at least I did so politely! But you had your AA inspection; you took a justifiable view about the last owner and his son's skill as a mechanic; and you got a full service out of the selling dealer. Any purchase of a used car has an element of risk, and so far you've justified it.

Best of luck and I hope you not only enjoy the Golf but keep contributing to the forum.