Corsa D 1.2i (85) petrol manual - Engine noise - Martd

My December 2010 Corsa D 1.2i (85) petrol manual has done 8000 miles and engine makes a faint ticking noise, barely discernible above tyre noise when driving but quite noticeable when idling at rest. Think I've heard similar noise on other similar 1.2's in car parks etc. (Similar engine, 79 bhp, in my previous 2005 Corsa C, ran beautifully quietly). Is this anything to worry about?

Corsa D 1.2i (85) petrol manual - Engine noise - Peter.N.

I wouldn't think so, quite possibly a noisy tappet.

Corsa D 1.2i (85) petrol manual - Engine noise - elekie&a/c doctor
This will be the fuel evaporative emission valve.Nothing to be concerned about.They all make this noise,some more noticeable than others.

This will be the fuel evaporative emission valve.Nothing to be concerned about.They all make this noise,some more noticeable than others.

Haven't heard about that. How does that work, and where is valve situated? I do know the car uses too much petrol in comparison with previous Corsa I had, even allowing for extra weight. Oil gets dirty in no time at all.

I wouldn't think so, quite possibly a noisy tappet.

It has hydraulic (presumably self-adjusting) tappets and variable valve timing, if that is any help.

Corsa D 1.2i (85) petrol manual - Engine noise - injection doc

there is aknown issue with the camshaft caps comming loose making them sound tappety, causing camshaft whip & eventually snapping the cams ! & then dire engine damage !

Always best to make sure yours isnt one of these

below is an extract from a consumer action group

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?275141-Out-of-warranty-claim-for-Vauxhall-Corsa-camshaft/page3

When this problem occured to my daughters car, (4 young women broke down on the M6 300 miles from home) I had never heard that there was a problem with these engines, I thought it was just bad luck, It was a struggle to get them home and then gave her a real problem with transport, luckily we had another Corsa she could use. The AA man diagnosed the problem and he was spot on, I took the car to a mechanic I use and that was when we found the broken cam cap as well as the broken shaft, at that time I thought the shaft had snapped and taken the cap with it so I contacted Vx customer care and asked them whether it was unusual that a camshaft should go after 60K. It was then that I discovered that there was a problem with loose cam cap holding down bolts and Vx had known about it and failed to issue any sort of warning/instruction. I don't know what fact you want, Vx have confirmed there is a problem, the holding down bolts come loose allowing excess movement of the camshaft and causing failure, as an engineer are you saying that this is not what is happening? I doubt that you would say that its OK and that loose caps are something that the shaft can cope with so as an expert what sort of failure would you expect from loose caps?

Corsa D 1.2i (85) petrol manual - Engine noise - craig-pd130

The problem with cam cap bolts loosening seems to apply to Corsa C and D models.

Our 2010 1.2 85bhp Corsa D (22,000 miles) also makes a tapping noise occasionally at idle -- as soon as any revs are applied, the tapping stops. I was concerned about this, but in the past year I've had two other 1.2 petrol Corsa D models as courtesy cars (both were newer and lower mileage than ours) and they both made the tapping noise intermittently, too, which leads me to believe it's a characteristic of this engine.

Some twin-cam 4-stroke Japanese bikes used to make similar tapping noises, especially the Suzuki GS750 / GS1000. On these bikes, the noise was diagnosed as cam end-float and was harmless.

Corsa D 1.2i (85) petrol manual - Engine noise - 1litregolfeater

Yes, you should't hear tappets or camchains while you're driving. Has it got any oil in?