Manual electrics - Greenslade

With my motoring being largely confined to short suburban runs, I feel it's time to join the electric revolution.

However, I've always driven a manual and want to stay with a stick shift. The fuel savings versus automatic are particularly appreciated when I have the horse box in tow.

Something like a G-Wiz or Twizy would be fine, but when are the manufacturers going to get the message that not all of us are fans of two-pedalled motoring?

Are there any suitable vehicles for purchase early this month?

Manual electrics - RT

What's the function of a gearbox? To provide enough ratios to keep the power unit operating in it's most efficient power/torque band.

Diesel and petrol engines need a multi-speed gearbox - electric motors don't as they can run full range, including backwards - indeed maximum torque is developed at zero rpm !!!

Manual electrics - RichT54

Ha! Good one. Horse box indeed :)

Manual electrics - Avant

Nice one, Greenslade.

BMW always do a special 1 April advert - see today's papers.

Manual electrics - Greenslade

:)

I thought BMW did particularly well this year, Avant.

Manual electrics - unthrottled

I thought this year's effort was a bit weak. My favourite was the centrally mounted dial that was touted as a replacement for a steering wheel. It was supposed to alleviate the problem of taking RHD cars to continental Europe!

Manual electrics - jamie745

A G-Wiz towing a horsebox. I'd pay actual sterling to see that!

Manual electrics - Sofa Spud

Electric cars do have effectively have a 1-speed manual gearbox! An electric motor normally only needs a single gear to accelerate a vehicle form standstill to top speed. And since an electric motor stops spinning when the car comes to a standstill, it doesn't need a clutch.

So a multi-speed gearbox on an electric car would be pointless.

However I suspect the original poster might know all this already :)

Edited by Sofa Spud on 02/04/2013 at 12:31