Ford Mondeo Estate - Hard brake pedal momentary loss of brakes - sunbid

My car has an intermittant fault on the brakes. The brake pedal goes rock hard for about 1 second meaning no brakes. My mechanic changed the vacuum part ( don't know what it is ) but it has not stopped the problem, I took it back and he found a split pipe which he has fitted but the problem is still there, he has not got a clue as to what is causing it and I keep paying for his latest diagnosis....can anyone help as to what it is, it very scary when it happens.....

Ford Mondeo Estate - Hard brake pedal momentary loss of brakes - Peter D
You say rock hard but do you have any brakes. Does the pedal feel the same if your turn the engine off and pump the pedal. This could be a faulty one way vacuum valve. Regards Peter
Ford Mondeo Estate - Hard brake pedal momentary loss of brakes - Collos25

I would think more likely is a faulty ABS module,whatever the problem you should on no accounts be driving the car until it is repaired.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Hard brake pedal momentary loss of brakes - elekie&a/c doctor
Interesting,how does an abs module cause a hard brake pedal?I have been involved with abs systems since the 1980s and never seen this.
Ford Mondeo Estate - Hard brake pedal momentary loss of brakes - Peter D
Is this a petrol or diesel engine. Regards Peter
Ford Mondeo Estate - Hard brake pedal momentary loss of brakes - Ayrshore

I agree - in fact (dependent on the age), there was a recall for this exact issue. I've just discovered this as I have one in with the same problem.

Recall ref for mine is R/2009/050: HARD BRAKE PEDAL MAY OCCUR DURING ENGINE WARM UP

Ford Mondeo Estate - Hard brake pedal momentary loss of brakes - Cyd

I too would be dubious that it is an ABS problem. ABS is designed to fail safe and simply become "straight through" allowing the brakes to operate as a normal non ABS system.

How do you get over the problem when it occurs? Do you keep pressing the pedal and it goes or do you release and reapply? Sounds mechanical to me rather than hydraulic.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Hard brake pedal momentary loss of brakes - gordonbennet

I too suspect this is loss of vacuum for some reason (collapsing pipe?), would be my first check anyway.

You could try this if you feel confident, it might help diagnose...first of all familiarise yourself with the sound and feel of your brake servo, start with a full head of vacuum then switch engine off.

Then press the brake pedal several times to use the vacuum up, if quiet you should hear the vacuum exhausting each press and feel the brakes gradually harden off as servo assistance is lost, it will show just how poor the brakes are with no vacuum.

Once familiar and confident with this, next time this happens if possible and only if safe to do so switch off the engine immediately and stop the car on the handbrake. Then test for vacuum as above, it should be immediately obvious if vacuum loss is the fault.

Any updates on this OP?

Hope there is some closure on this thread.

Take that as a no then.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Hard brake pedal momentary loss of brakes - m4t-p
I work in a garage and we had the same issue with a c-max. We changed the vacuum pipe (ford said this would be the problem) then the vacuum pump before finally fixing it by changing the servo. Hope this helps.
Ford Mondeo Estate - Hard brake pedal momentary loss of brakes - mfarrow

Ayrshore's recall is on the AA website:

During engine warm up it is possible that the non return valve within the vacuum pump may stick. It is possible that if sufficient brake applications are made before the valve releases, the vacuum stored within the brake booster will be used up and a hard brake pedal and longer stopping distances may result.