jaguar x-type 2.0 diesel - clutch defect - Bodgerac

The clutch failed at 10,500 genuine miles on my car that was just under 4 years old. Out of warranty, I had a local garage change it in March 2012 at great expence. I thought a proud rivet on the pressure plate was the cause, but since then it was reported in Honest John's web that AP and Borg & Beck clutches were failing due to poor materials, and being replaced with Luk. I did not like the look of the flywheel, and bought a Luk.

The garage replaced the AP with another AP, although I was under the impression they were fitting a Luk. This burnt out last February 2013 at 17,090 miles. Four independent clutch experts examined the two units, and they all said they had not been ridden. All Jaguar Customer Services have offered is 50% off the next service. My last message to Jaguar is that I feel badly let down, plus a few more comments; I am sure there is an issue here regarding Sale of Goods Act 1982?

jaguar x-type 2.0 diesel - clutch defect - focussed

The clutch failed at 10,500 genuine miles on my car that was just under 4 years old. Out of warranty, I had a local garage change it in March 2012 at great expence. I thought a proud rivet on the pressure plate was the cause, but since then it was reported in Honest John's web that AP and Borg & Beck clutches were failing due to poor materials, and being replaced with Luk. I did not like the look of the flywheel, and bought a Luk.

The garage replaced the AP with another AP, although I was under the impression they were fitting a Luk. This burnt out last February 2013 at 17,090 miles. Four independent clutch experts examined the two units, and they all said they had not been ridden. All Jaguar Customer Services have offered is 50% off the next service. My last message to Jaguar is that I feel badly let down, plus a few more comments; I am sure there is an issue here regarding Sale of Goods Act 1982?

You could have used the SOGA up until you had a local garage repair it without giving the Jaguar dealer from whom you purchased the car an opportunity to repair it at no cost to you. Had they then refused you could then have taken it to your local garage, and sued the dealer who sold you the car for the cost of the repair in the small claims court.

As you have had repairs done outside of their dealer network I am surprised at Jaguar offering anything.

jaguar x-type 2.0 diesel - clutch defect - mastertechGeoff

This seems really unusual, what are you using the car for ? Do you tow, do a lot of heavy work or drive the car hard , has it had a cpu upgrade, is the turbo boost pressure as normal ?

The reason I ask is that this is not a common fault, the early model was fitted with a LUK and around 2007/08 they changed to AP OE as the torque increased in the engine and the AP was rated higher, the LUK clutch is a self adjusting cover and a much better design which if the torque output was ok would have given you a much better service life, but there is no reason that the AP clutch should fail early unless your asking it to do something beyond it's capabilities.

Regards Geoff

jaguar x-type 2.0 diesel - clutch defect - Bodgerac

Hi Geoff,
It is my wife's car. She knows how to use a manual box, and was offended when people said she was riding the clutch. I use it when I am not driving one of my Classics. We do not tow or carry heavy loads; it is used mainly town and country, not thrashed or raced away from standstill. We have a total of over 100 years of driving between us, always with manual boxes. The last time I changed a worn-out clutch was in 1963. I am out of touch with modern stuff, so nowadays have to rely on garages, although I still maintain my 60 year-old Classics. Cpu upgrade? Turbo boost? You've lost me. We treat our machinery with the highest respect. We bought this low mileage car with the idea that we would not have problems for a long time, and feel badly let down.