Buying a new car... - Mark (RLBS)
I'm just off to have a look at a car. Its at the Great Trade Centre in White City, not that that is particularly relevant.

I will pay cash for anything I buy, but they are insisting I take the following documents;

Documents needed for collection of your new vehicle:

Driving Licence.....(Showing your current address)
Utility Bill........(Dated within the last 3 months)
Council Tax Bill....(Showing your current address)
Log Book............(If you are part exchanging)
MOT.................(If you are part exchanging)

Now I understand the last two, but I'm not part exchanging.

So what I don't understand is why I have to identify myself that thoroughly.

Surely its not just to make the the V5 is accurate ?
Buying a new car... - DavidHM
At a rough guess, they have a belt and braces approach. Also, they probably have anti money laundering procedures in place. The GTC is dodgy minicab heaven, especially in the area where it is located (lots of high mileage Accords, Avensises and the like), and they want to be really sure that the money that's paying for these cars is legit.
Ok, nice and responsible.

But in reality is it their problem ? Is this common ?

Essentially it means I can't take a car away today if I get one because the utility bills are at home and my driving licence has the wrong address (I know, I know).
It is their problem if the notes are still wet.

And I don't know what the rules are for car dealers, but solicitors (and, I would have thought, insurance companies) have to be very careful with who they take money off and if it's being used to legitimise crime.

That dealer, in that area, would be an obvious place to buy all kinds of dodgy stuff in all kinds of ways. I guess they're also not taking any chances on one piece of fake ID - it's easier for the bad guys to find a less stringent and experienced dealer than to print up that little lot.
Buying a new car... - No Do$h
I doubt that their intentions are that pure. What you have listed would be the standard requirements to underwrite a finance deal. Could be that they will make a pitch to sell you finance as a further profit on the sale and want to overcome as many objections up front.

Mind you, the Money Laundering angle is plausible.

No Dosh ** Quick, talk motoring, Mark's coming! **
Buying a new car... - Dan J
Mark - isn't this because a great deal of their sales will be done on credit? Rather than people turning up without all correct documentation at least this way people aren't being turned back home because they've left some vital document, necessary for the finance, at home?

Realistically you might need to show insurance documents if they were going to tax your car but I can't even see why they'd need your license other than for a test drive?

Dan J
Sorry - what I was saying is basically given you will be buying outright for cash, I don't think you'll need any of them...
Buying a new car... - A Dent{P}
I too think the I.D. is for finance purposes. Surely nobody is going to walk into a showroom with that much cash, you would use a bankers draft, then the money laundering thing is the banks problem should that be the case.
Buying a new car... - eMBe {P}
I would guess (actually its mor than a guess):

Since, in the last few years, most car bombs have involved cars bought with cash, the Police are very interested to find out s much as possible about such cash buyers - usually after the event. Any legit trader will wish to minimise bad publicity and so will try to ID the buyer as much as he can, regardless of any requirement of money-laundering laws.

In other words, using a similie and implied smilie and maybe mxing metaphors, they are engaging in "safe-trade" (to coin a phrase) even when they have no reason to suspect that the punter is anything other than clean.
What happened in the end Mark? Did you need the documents? What was the verdict on the car?
I haven't gone yet, they're open until 10pm and I'm stuck doing an Operations Plan and Budget.
Buying a new car... - Dwight Van Driver
In addition to the possible laundry of drugs cash etc. may be a local Bylaw in force?.

Dealers in secondhand goods, and that includes motors, in North Yorkshire, by law, have to be registered with Trading Standards.
Dealers are also, under said law, required to keep records of transactions over £100. Name and address to whom the goods are sold is recorded in a Register that is open to inspection by TS and Plod. Dealers have to take care that they do not record false names and addresses.

DVD.
Oh well, I bought it. A Landcruiser Colorado. 176 bhp 3.4 litre V6

I decided that it drove better than the diesel. Its 23 months old. no tow bar, warranted 19,000 miles, auto, electric everything, leather everything else, its the 7 seater and I paid 17k for it. Its quite clearly been a school run vehicle and nothing else.

That seems like a good deal to me, but its certainly a deal I can live with.

As for the documents, the story changed a little bit. I didn't need any documents to buy it, but I will need two forms of ID and proof of address to collect it.

Their story was that this was to ensure that the person who collected it was the person who paid for it. However, I think its exactly as was suggested, and it was to ensure that I had everything I needed to arrange finance if they could sell it to me.

They offered me a warranty with a single claim limit of 500 quid or 1000 quid at a cost of about 350 and 650 respectively for one year. I don't remember the figures for 2 or 3 years, but I declined anyway.

Anything happens in the first year and I'll sue their butt, and after that I'll take my chances = its a low mileage toyota for goodness sakes. I did read the warranty quickly, seemed somewhat naff to me.

All in all a very pleasant buying experience, lots of helpful, willing staff with virtually no pressure. I'd buy from them again.

However, if you do go there to look, then its probably better to know what you want before you go. There are *so* many cars that its difficult to stay focussed and Adriana damn near ended up with a rather nice 740i. She rang and interrupted my progress and then gently (i.e. no brick) refocussed me.

The cars are all set out, there are about 4,000 at the moment I think, into a categories. Sometimes by type - 4x4, MPV etc.; sometimes by value - prestige, bargain etc.; and sometimes by manufacturer.

You wander around as you wish, write down the licence plate of the cars you are interested in, go back to the sales office and swap your own car keys for the relevant car keys and go and crawl all over it. As normal if you want a test drive, which was very willingly given on three cars, then a Salesman comes with you.

Pretty normal rules about payments, but no credit cards are accepted, not even for the deposit should you be getting it on finance.

Anyway it was the Great Trade Centre, Hythe Road, White City and I'd recommend them quite highly.

As an aside, I did ask them how much the finance would be out of interest and with just example figures, it was from the Bank of Scotland and 10,000 quid over 2 years would have been a total payable of 11,342 which sounded reasonable to me except that I didn't want finance.

Even that wasn't a pressure job.

Now, all I have to do is arrange picking the car up tomorrow.

M.

p.s. they had *loads* of Freelanders for sale, but I decided to be generous and went in anyway.
BTW, it is a UK supplied Colorado. And HJ's CBCB was very useful.

Thanks everybody for their help.
Buying a new car... - Martin Wall
Ah...so it should have 13 months Toyota warranty left - can always take out an extended warranty with Toyota after that...
Buying a new car... - Andrew-T
Mark - please don't tell us you got it for the School Run !
I'm you're worst nightmare Andrew !

I bought it for one reason only - I like the space, I like the bulk and I like driving them.

To be fair I do live in a very rural farming area and do frequently have to deal with mud, and quite a lot of it. But nothing I couldn't handle or avoid in a normal car.

Not like the last few years when I've been bashing them around the Andes every week.

On the other hand, two large dogs and a child with pushchair etc does take up a lot of room. Also it will egt a tow bar and I do tow from time to time.

I even spend a fair amount of time on the beach surfing or windsurfing.

But honestly, I just like them.

M.
The warranty sounds extortionately expensive, especially as it's still covered by the manufacturer's warranty. I think you got a good deal there though.

I was up there on Sunday, having a look round with no intention to buy, and as ever with the GTC, there are some peaches and some dogs. (I noticed a particularly nice 00W, 60k BMW 520i Touring for £11k. Unfortunately it was poverty spec, solid red with no alloys, but I could have been tempted if I wanted a big estate).

Will the Toyota replace the Omega? Or have I misunderstood?Incidentally, the GTC will do finance for you without ID, but you can't collect without it.
Buying a new car... - Dave_TD
Incidentally, the GTC will do finance for you without ID, but you can't collect without it.

Is that so? I took the good lady there a couple of weeks back, looking at Mondeo Ghia's and Ghia X's up to 4 grand, we have a Pug 405 that's worth £800 on a good day as px, the rest would be on finance.
But in my job the majority of income is in pound notes, so I just dish them out to her and she goes to pay gas bill, phone bill, do shopping etc with them. At the moment I don't even have a bank account, we write out cheques from her account as and when needed.
So I have very little proof of income on paper, but the money she gets from a couple of cleaning jobs is pretty much all surplus cash to be saved for car, holiday etc. How do I convince the GTC (or anywhere else, for that matter) that we can afford it? Surely any personal credit rating would be much less influential if the finance is secured on the car anyway?
>>Will the Toyota replace the Omega?

Well, we haven't completely decided yet. That was the first thought, but if I end up driving the Landcruiser a lot then we may use it to replace my company car (with tax it just isn't worth having).

The thing is, the Omega is an outstanding vehicle and Adriana loves it. She isn't all that struck on the idea of us replacing it at all. But I will replace it some time this year if not with the Landcruiser, it was only a supposed to be a stop gap I bought for her before she got into the UK (I traveled a month before her)..

We've been very lucky with cars in the last of couple of years and have managed to buy some good ones at good prices. (touching wood madly)

I guess we'll wait and see....
Buying a new car... - Chad.R
The thing is, the Omega is an outstanding vehicle...

Now you won't hear that too many time on this site

Chad.R
(A Very Happy Omega Owner)
Buying a new car... - Orson {P}
Well, I'm happy to say so! Took an 02 plate 2.2cdx auto out on Saturday: very smooth, very comfortable and much better than the old model. Only problem is, that is the battery goes flat, there is no way to get into the boot. Seemed a good price actually: 9 months old, 10k on the clock and £11995. Or am I horribly out of touch?

O
Doesn't the boot release inside the car work ? I am presuming that you know that you have to press the button and hold it in for about 5 seconds or so before it will release the boot ?
Buying a new car... - Dynamic Dave
Doesn't the boot release inside the car work ? I am
presuming that you know that you have to press the button
and hold it in for about 5 seconds or so before
it will release the boot ?

I think Orson's question was "how would you open the boot if the battery went flat" Unless of course the boot release is cable operated and not electrically operated.
Oh IF the battery goes flat. I see.

Buying a new car... - volvoman
Good luck with the new car Mark - OPEC will love you won't they :-)

Any idea why they wouldn't accept credit card payment - even for the deposit. I try to use cards for all my purchases over £100 just for the extra consumer protection it's supposed to give. It's often advised to try and pay at least the deposit for an item by credit card so that the credit card company is jointly liable with the supplier. Why wouldn't the dealer want you to do that ? Seems odd to me - any thoughts anyone ?
Buying a new car... - eMBe {P}
Dave-taxi-driver quoted " >> Incidentally, the GTC will do finance for you without ID, but you can't collect without it. " and asked: Is that so?

But I can't see who D-t-d is quoting. As far as I can see, Mark(RLBS) said you can buy for cash without ID, but still need the ID to collect the car.

Volvoman asks: why GTC do not accept credit cards. Could it be that at the margins they operate, the extra 2 to 3% in credit card fees that they would pay cannot be supported unless they put up their prices or cut their profits.

Mark(RLBS): Did you actually pay in ready cash, or by was it draft/cheque? If the former, you are a brave man carrying that kind of dosh to a location such as White City!
DTD was quoting me, and I was quoting from experience. Having got the finance quote and not liked the APR, I decided that I was better off with budget banger motoring anyway... and felt pressured into it when they said that they'd arrange a finance agreement without the ID that I said I didn't have, as long as I brought it with me on collection.

Probably the credit card deposit thing is due to the fact that there are merchant charges on credit cards, which can amount to 2.5% of the total sale. A £5k deposit could therefore attract £125 of charges or possibly even more in certain industries. If the GTC are only working on a margin of a few hundred pounds per car (and I think most of their profit probably comes from finance, warranties and the like) then that is a significant problem if, like Mark, you're a cash buyer without an extra warranty.

Ah, MB has beaten me to it. The only other thing is that, if GTC's deposits are not refundable, the credit card companies would get loads of people trying to get refunds through them and therefore won't let them accept deposits. That's also a possibility, certainly combined with the margin point.