Need Diesel Car under £3000 - boristheblade

Hello all

Need some advice .

Have got a Focus C-Max 1.8 Ghia petrol (80000 miles) 54 plate.

I need to swap this for a diesel as commute has changed with higher mileage .But having trouble finding a start point.Most cars that i have looked at on Autotrader are high mileage as you would expect for my price bracket but which ones to avoid and rule out straight away is becoming difficult .

I have been interested in a SAAB 93 TiD Linear FSH and 89k on the clock priced at £2995 . But i have read there are a lot of problems with the mechanicals of these cars and the fact that spares will be difficult and expensive when things go wrong..

Car does not have to be a MPV like the C-Max but big enough for 2 Adults ,Child,and dog .

Any advice please

Need Diesel Car under £3000 - balleballe

I'd avoid Saab if you're running a car on a budget

Maybe an Avensis?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20112840222...p

Need Diesel Car under £3000 - Rickg

Arnt Saabs mostly vauxhall parts anyways?

Need Diesel Car under £3000 - RT

Yes - and perversely used to be cheaper spares at a Saab dealer than a Vauxhall one - not that it helps now!

Need Diesel Car under £3000 - craig-pd130

At that sort of price, you have to look at each individual car on the basis of its condition and service history.

Try and avoid any car with a diesel particle filter (DPF), which will rule out many Peugeots, Citroens and some 1.6 litre TDCi-engined Ford Focuses and C-Maxes.

As a general rule, you'll get a better deal buying a Mondeo-sized car than a Focus-sized one, larger cars are less in demand.

Personally, I would look for one of the following: a Mondeo III with 2.0 TDCI motor; a Passat B5.5 (up to 2006) with the 1.9 PD engine; Skoda Octavia with the 1.9 PD; or something like a Honda Accord or Toyota Avensis if you can find one. A dark horse would be a Volvo S/V40 with the 2.0TDCI engine, but I'm not 100% sure these came without a DPF.

At that sort of price, you have to look at each individual car on the basis of its A dark horse would be a Volvo S/V40 with the 2.0TDCI engine, but I'm not 100% sure these came without a DPF.

2004 models will be without DPF

Need Diesel Car under £3000 - Alby Back

Might be a good excercise to do some sums first. How many more miles a year will you be doing? The real difference in fuel cost between a 40mpg petrol and a 50mpg diesel is 3p a mile at the moment. ( 16p v 13p )...Is it likely to be worth it given that it may well cost something to change the car which sounds like it's otherwise suited to your needs?

Need Diesel Car under £3000 - craig-pd130

Alby makes a good point. It's worth doing some fag-packet calculations on mileage, estimated fuel costs and so on. Even an extra 200 miles per week may only cost an extra £3 - £4 in fuel.

You have to be realistic about diesel fuel economy too -- in the real world, most diesels will give 45 - 50mpg, it has to be an exceptional car or a very careful driver that will give much better than 50mpg

Need Diesel Car under £3000 - boristheblade

Alby makes a good point. It's worth doing some fag-packet calculations on mileage, estimated fuel costs and so on. Even an extra 200 miles per week may only cost an extra £3 - £4 in fuel.

You have to be realistic about diesel fuel economy too -- in the real world, most diesels will give 45 - 50mpg, it has to be an exceptional car or a very careful driver that will give much better than 50mpg

hello thanks for the replys

I take the above points seriously regarding mpg and its well noted maybe more calculations are required.

If i wanted swap in the C-Max more another petrol variant what would be the best bet a Mondeo or similar saloon,,,,,,,,, just want to get away from MPV cars .

Any suggestions welcomed

Need Diesel Car under £3000 - Avant

Picking up Alby's point, given that the C-Max is one of the least MPV-like MPVs to drive, think about hanging on to it until it threatens to be expensive to repair.

If it's reached that stage already, then as Craig says condition is a more important consideration than make and model: but if you want a 'steer' look at Focuses and Mondeos (as there are lots of them around at all prices), or something Japanese and petrol-powered like a Toyota Avensis or Mazda 6.

Edit - another current thread has reminded me -whatever you do steer clear of a 1.6 diesel C-Max.

Edited by Avant on 24/03/2013 at 23:28

Need Diesel Car under £3000 - jacks

or something Japanese and petrol-powered like a Toyota Avensis or Mazda 6.

Both good cars - but if mpg is important the Mazda 6 won't give you more than 30 mpg (I've had one) although they just don't go wrong - the Avensis is probably just as reliable (find one with good provenance - not a minicab!) but the lean burn engine technology gives nearer 40 mpg if you drive it sensibly.

J

Need Diesel Car under £3000 - unthrottled

Which Avensis used a lean burn engine? Both should get economy in the late thirties for the 1.8 versions.

Need Diesel Car under £3000 - jacks

Which Avensis used a lean burn engine? Both should get economy in the late thirties for the 1.8 versions.

The original model

From HJ Car by Car review

" Same range of lean-burn engines. 1.8 litre the most frugal (40-45 mpg) and fitted with Michelin Energy tyres as standard."

Need Diesel Car under £3000 - SteveLee

Those 1.8-2.0 Toyota petrols are very good in real world mpg terms, as for the lean burn description, Toyota themselves referred to them as that - even though they are not (technically) lean burn engines.

Need Diesel Car under £3000 - Bobbin Threadbare

Both good cars - but if mpg is important the Mazda 6 won't give you more than 30 mpg (I've had one) although they just don't go wrong -

I got 38mpg from mine, and they don't go wrong!

I got 34ish

And the occasional thing does go wrong