Looking for a "hot-hatch" type car (second ever) - LMF5000

I've been driving a Ford Fusion (1.4 petrol, 80bhp - basically identical innards to a mk6 fiesta) ever since I got my license 3 years ago. I'm now looking to upgrade to something better to be my daily driver, and I'd like some well-informed opinions on which used cars would fit my requirements. I'm looking for a car that is:

-Automatic or semi-automatic

-Fast :- 0-60mph in under 8.5 seconds

-Economical :- urban fuel consumption under 8.5l/100km (aka over 33mpg UK)

-Cheap to tax :- CO2 well under 150g/km, and car less than 5 years old.

-Reliable and trouble-free (no way to measure this on paper!) :-)

That about sums it up. I have a list of some cars that meet or exceed these specs, but I don't want to influence the responses for now, so I will talk about them in a later post.

Lastly, some background info: This car will be used in Malta, not the UK. My plan is to single out the ideal make and model on paper, then fly to the UK for a few days to test-drive some used examples, then buy the best one and have it shipped here. This has two consequences:

1. Automatics are rare in Malta - so before I get to the UK I will most likely not have any of the cars you recommend available on the island for test driving. Hence why I will have to rely on your opinions and the published specs to evaluate the cars.

2. Malta is 17 miles long from end-to-end with a national speed limit of 80km/h on arterial roads and under 50km/h everywhere else. This gives you an idea of the driving conditions... and explains why I'm only interested in urban fuel consumption and acceleration instead of top speed. My daily commute is 5 miles each way, so I think it probably makes anything Diesel out of the question because the DPF would be blocked in short order!

Thanks for reading this far. I look forward to hearing your responses.

Looking for a "hot-hatch" type car (second ever) - Bobbin Threadbare

You want a hot hatch with an autobox? What's the point? You want to drive the thing, if you're interested in 0-60 times!

Looking for a "hot-hatch" type car (second ever) - Happy Blue!

I was going to post a long reply but the more I though about it, I wondered if there was any form of autobox 'hot hatch' with performance and economy figures required of the OP. Its more down to research online that what we have in our heads.

The OP is best going onto Autotrader.co.uk and then coming back here and asking opinions of cars he has found.

Having been to Malta several times I can understand the desire for an automatic. I wonder if there are any small diesel automatics that would give the numbers required. Pty they did not make a Skoda Fabia VRs in auto. Isn't the current VRs only in DGS form?

Looking for a "hot-hatch" type car (second ever) - Collos25

Is there not a type of UK licence that is automatic only.

I must agree with you Bobbin the two do not seem to gel together.

Looking for a "hot-hatch" type car (second ever) - RT

Sounds crazy buying a car in UK and shipping to Malta - the normal way to save money is the other way round, buy in Malta ship to Britain - it was always one of the big sources for personal imports

The first time I was in Malta working I was told to beware because they drive always in the shade white lines mean nothing.

The first time I was in Malta working I was told to beware because they drive always in the shade white lines mean nothing.

That's a little extreme (we don't try to drive in the shade), but you're right about the driving. We tend to weave around the road to avoid the biggest potholes. It's normal procedure for us, but a tourist not familiar with it might think everyone's driving drunk ;)

Worst thing here is lack of road markings. Lots of junctions with un-marked (but implied) stops waiting for an unsuspecting motorist to innocently drive through them unaware and then get the blame for the resulting car crash...

Sounds crazy buying a car in UK and shipping to Malta - the normal way to save money is the other way round, buy in Malta ship to Britain - it was always one of the big sources for personal imports

In the case of the kind of cars I'm looking at, it's only slightly cheaper to import from the UK than to buy one locally. The bigger issue for me is that while cars that fit my needs do exist and are common in the UK, there are almost none of them in Malta due to the general mentality being still stuck in the days of torque-converter automatics where 20% of the horsepower was wasted in slip (and viscous drag)... and as a result automatics got their reputation for being slow and fuel hungry compared to manuals.

I've convinced many of my friends that that is not the case any more as most modern automatics are just automated manual gearboxes - i.e. they use a real clutch (or two) instead of a torque converter. Many of them are mechanical engineers like myself, so this was easy for them to grasp - yet they still wouldn't consider an automatic for their next car... odd considering that in Malta the longest stretch of uninterrupted road in the entire island (no stop signs, roundabouts or other obstacles) can't be more than 3km long!

So, my first reply to the questions:

1. Yes, it has to be automatic. I've been driving manual for the last three years and the way the traffic keeps getting worse by the month, I definitely don't want another manual. I want a good semi-automatic with paddle shifters. Ideally a dual-clutch gearbox. The "sporty" aspect is better than the manual - most of them (DSG, TCT, powershift etc.) generally accelerate to 100km/h about 0.2 seconds faster than the manual equivalent. Not much, but yet another advantage to having an automatic nowadays.

2. As for cars that fulfill the above specs:

a) The Alfa MiTo 1.4 TBi 135bhp with TCT [my personal favourite - no major common faults in engine and gearboc identified with quick google search, decent price, best fuel economy in the list, nice interior and it has the Alfa badge! Disadvantages - 3 door only, I don't like the bonnet, and it's the slowest car in my shortlist at 8.2 seconds. Then again it only needs 135 bhp to do that (the others need 180 bhp) so my insurance will be lower and the car is also the lightest, at just 900-1000kg with driver].

b) The VW hot hatches with DSG. There's the polo 1.4 TSI GTI (180bhp, 6.9sec) and the Golf TSI 160 (160bhp, 8 sec). [Problem: google searches reveal common problems with engines developing oil leaks, broken conrods, supercharger damage, gearboxes that need the mechatronic unit replaced, and other nightmares]

c) The equivalents from VW group's child companies. So there's the Skoda Fabia 1.4 TSI vRS with DSG gearbox [my second favourite after the Alfa - 7.3 seconds. So it's faster, but I don't like the interior so much. Compared to the Alfa, it consumes more fuel and makes more CO2, but then it's a whole second faster to 100]. And finally the Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.4 TSI [7.2 seconds, but the interior is the worst of the lot]. Both these cars are significantly cheaper than the Polo, but not as nice interior-wise.

Approx. prices in Malta with Maltese registration tax included:

MiTo - €15,000

Fabia vRS - €13,500

Ibiza Cupra - €14,400

Polo GTI - €17,000

Golf 160 - €16,800

Looking for a "hot-hatch" type car (second ever) - Avant

Your own shortlist looks pretty good; I'd have the Fabia vRS. Anything more powerful would be wasted in Malta. You could also look at the Mini Cooper, Audi A1 and BMW 1-series, all of which can be had as petrol automatics.

I haven't been to Malta since 1969, when I had a lovely holiday between university and starting work, with the naval chaplain and his family. I had a brief moment of fame when, driving in a narrow street, i was given way to by a Maltese bus - something that had never happened before, or posssibly since.

They use to go to the old airport and use the runways it was the the only place you could go over 30,a hot hatch in Malta is a little wasted more use would be a worthless car with 6 inches of rubber round it.

They use to go to the old airport and use the runways it was the the only place you could go over 30,a hot hatch in Malta is a little wasted more use would be a worthless car with 6 inches of rubber round it.

I hear that quite often when discussing fast cars (in Maltese: "fejn ha ssuqa hawn Malta"... non-literal translation being something like "there's nowhere to drive that here").

My reasoning is that since fast driving is out of the question, I'm focusing on a small nimble car with awesome acceleration, and ignoring top speeds.

Your own shortlist looks pretty good; I'd have the Fabia vRS. Anything more powerful would be wasted in Malta. You could also look at the Mini Cooper, Audi A1 and BMW 1-series, all of which can be had as petrol automatics.

I haven't been to Malta since 1969, when I had a lovely holiday between university and starting work, with the naval chaplain and his family. I had a brief moment of fame when, driving in a narrow street, i was given way to by a Maltese bus - something that had never happened before, or posssibly since.

My shortlist is down to two: the Fabia vRS and the MiTo. Price is similar. The Fabia is faster, has 5 doors, and looks nicer on the outside. The MiTo is more fuel-efficient, has less CO2, a better interior, a simpler engine (no supercharger, less things to go wrong compared to the Fabia), and it's an Alfa so it gets a more favourable reaction.

But the Fabia is 15% faster than the MiTo. So which will it be?

Looking for a "hot-hatch" type car (second ever) - Avant

Look at some road tests: the MiTo's reviews are mostly less positive than the Fabia's, perhaps because people expect an Alfa to be fun to drive and this one apparently isn't. An automatic MiTo might be even less fun.

Also Skodas have a better reliability record than Alfas. Are there dealers for both makes within reach?

Looks are a personal thing: most people would rate the MiTo pretty and the Fabia functional: bu if you prefer the Fabia to look at, coupled with the other issues that's probably the one to go for.