any - Raised suspension and economy - Townhead

Looking to pick some brains here. We live a mile up a farm road which we dont own with potholes which is hard on the cars that we have. Ideally I am looking for something with a raised suspension that can cope with this road plus I drive about 20 k miles per year for work. Looking for something cheap to buy and run. Currently have a citroen berlingo that just cant cope with the farm road.

any - Raised suspension and economy - Bobbin Threadbare

Suzuki SX4 or the Fiat Panda 4x4 - high ground clearance without the running costs of one of the bigger 4x4s that spring to mind. You're looking at £3.5k for a 2006 SX4. Fiat Panda 4x4 diesel has supposedly over 50mpg.

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 19/03/2013 at 21:41

any - Raised suspension and economy - Avant

These are both very good suggestions, to which I'd add the Toyota RAV-4 in case you need anything a little bigger.

There's a Fiat version of the Suzuki - the Sedici.

any - Raised suspension and economy - gordonbennet

To be fair if the Berly can't cope the road must be really bad.

Not sure if you'll cope with the shocks transmitted through the short wheelbases of the two mentioned praticularly the Panda, note Fiat Sedici is virtually the same car as SX4.

How big is your budget, high enough for a Forester Diesel?

If not would you consider an LPG converted Forester or Outback petrol?

Korean soft roader?

any - Raised suspension and economy - tony g
If you need 4x4 the Suzuki sx4 is probably not for you ,the vast majority are front wheel drive only .

If you want sx4 4wheel drive ,you need the 4grip version which is very rare .

Edited by tony g on 19/03/2013 at 22:35

any - Raised suspension and economy - Alby Back

I'd recommend a Suzuki Grand Vitara. We've hired them on holiday a couple of times for some fairly serious off roading and they coped very well. Reasonably comfortable too. The older 1.6 petrols can average around 35 mpg which with todays price differential is about the same fuel cost per mile as a diesel which gets 37 mpg. You can get them very cheaply now and provided they are kept serviced they seem pretty reliable. Only downside maybe is that they are not very quick on the road and might reasonably be accused of having limited high speed handling capability. Like I said though, they're cheap !

any - Raised suspension and economy - Avant

That sounds like a good idea (and Alby, glad you're Back). I thnkl there was a V6 version of the Grand Vitara which should be....slightly less slow. But could be just what the OP needs.

any - Raised suspension and economy - gordonbennet

OP needs cheap to run, a good lady friend of mine ran a V6 Vit and loved it to bits, 17 to 23 mpg though.

any - Raised suspension and economy - Alby Back

Fair point GB. I guess that's why, if it was me who lived up a farm track and had similar financial criteria, I'd be most probably looking at a 1.6. That engine is reasonably economical and isn't powerful enough to seriously embarrass the chassis. The ones we've had on hire had that engine and we took them to some really rough off road places with ease.

I occasionally find myself lusting after one of the older convertibles for no reason at all other than the pottering about in the summer fun factor but my sensible head keeps preventing me from buying one due to having no real need.

Edited by Alby Back on 19/03/2013 at 23:27

any - Raised suspension and economy - unthrottled

Mk1 Laguna.

Soft suspension (well it will be by now!), aerodynamic body so decent economy on a run. Buy from for a few hundred pounds (assuming it's a diesel). If you like it-sorted. If not, you haven't lost anything.

any - Raised suspension and economy - RT

Try a curveball approach - buy an old, ie cheap, big 4x4 and just use it on the farm track - doesn't need to be taxed, insured or Mot'd if it's never used on the public highway.

any - Raised suspension and economy - madf

Porsche Cayenne

tinyurl.com/cd8rykm

any - Raised suspension and economy - RT

Porsche Cayenne

tinyurl.com/cd8rykm

None of the VAG 4x4s are recommended off-road - they can't hold their suspension alignments in those conditions - I've heard of Audi dealers pleading with customers not to take their Q7's off the black stuff - VW Touareg is similarly affected.

any - Raised suspension and economy - dieselnut

What about a Citroen C5 with the hydroneumatic suspension. You can raise it to the intermediate height setting for the track then return it to normal for foad use. Being a Citroen, can be bought for peanuts once a few years old and very comfortable.