Astra 1.7 Dti 05/00 management light at - bigger al

(Astra 1.7 16v DOHC Isuzu (Y17DT)engine May 2000)

Here's a tip for new Astra drivers

Got the car at 41K covered 3k without a hitch until i braked suddenly the other night. As i pulled off from stationary, the management light came on and stayed on.(had been driving for around 20 minutes at the time)

Pulled over, turned the ignition off waited about 5 minutes then started it again and light was off. great

As i pulled away the management light came on again (drove approx 3 metres)

Into Vauxhall for diagnose check. glowplugs or brakelight it said

sure enough. 76p spent on TWO brake light bulbs, and all is well.

now i know that the brake lights are on the same fault check circuit that the glowplugs are, i will of course check the bulbs first if this happens again.

I assume that if i had changed the bulbs first, the fault code would reset and clear automatically.

Astra 1.7 Dti 05/00 management light at - MikeC
Ive posted this on here before but if both brake light bulbs on my 92 Cavalier are blown (or removed) the ABS light will come on and stay on (ABS system obviously uses brakelight circuit as a power source/check).

Maybe your Astra doesnt have ABS otherwise I suspect you'd have got the ABS light on aswell. I did have an engine management light problem at the same time but that was due to engine fault(s) - but thats another story!
No ABS fitted. Air Con and usual LS refinements
Astra 1.7 Dti 05/00 management light at - wemyss
If you don't mind me asking. What do Vauxhall charge to do a diagnostic test to identify a fault?.
Astra 1.7 Dti 05/00 management light at - Dynamic Dave
What do Vauxhall charge to do a diagnostic test to identify a fault?.

The dealership I use charge by however long the job takes. Last time I had one done (Auto gearbox fault light) they charged £11 something. That was just to tell me what was wrong - not rectify the problem.
Astra 1.7 Dti 05/00 management light at - wemyss
Thanks Dave, that's not bad really. Not that I've need for them at the moment (fingers crossed) but thought they would take the opportunity to rip you off.
Am I right in thinking that the mastercare part of Vauxhall cater for older Vauxhalls at lower rates or does this just apply for servicing rates.
Astra 1.7 Dti 05/00 management light at - Dynamic Dave
Thanks Dave, that's not bad really.

I must admit I failed to add that price charged was 18 months ago, so you'll need to add a few squid due to inflation, etc.
Am I right in thinking that the mastercare part of Vauxhall
cater for older Vauxhalls at lower rates or does this just
apply for servicing rates.

Yes, AFAIA the lower rate only applies to servicing, and providing the car is older than 3yrs.
£15 plus VAT to read the fault. Then as i said it came up with brake light "low resistance" and glow plug "low resistance"

Great car though and the water pump isn't feed on the timing belt!