My Vectra is no more. - Dynamic Dave

Prompted by Bobby G's reply to a post of mine in the thread "insurance, how to get big enough courtesy car":-

Yes, my Vectra-C has gone to the scrapyard in the sky after having an argument with a VW Passat.

Before Pic:-
img503.imageshack.us/img503/8375/frontviewavs3.jpg

After Pics:-
img111.imageshack.us/img111/8410/02072007209lh7.jpg
img248.imageshack.us/img248/3455/09072007224jx2.jpg

I should point out that I parked it on the grass bank to get it off the carriageway, rather than being shunted there during the accident. I should also mention that everyone involved walked away from the crash with no serious injuries. No idea if the airbags went off in the Passat - they didn't go off in the Vectra. Mind you I was only going about 5 to 10 mph when I drove into the side of the Passat that was travelling considerably faster.

Bought 2nd hand at 6 months old with 9,500 miles on the clock, and prior to the accident she had given me 3 years trouble free motoring, along with never missing a beat in the 27,500 miles we had together.

I would say RIP (Rust In Peace) dear Vectra. You copped it so early in your short life (not helped of course by me pulling out into the path of the above mentioned Passat). You were only 3½ years old, and only had 37,000 miles on the clock. But alas, I fear you'll be re-incarnated as the insurance company have classed you as a cat D write off. That is despite valuing your pre-accident value at just over £6600, and prematurely stopping the repair estimate when it reached £5300, and suggesting that at least another £1000 damage could potentially be found if they had started any repairs. The bodyshop reckoned you were a Cat B write off, but obviously the insurance assessor knows better.

Out of the handful of cars I've owned over the past 20 years, you were the most reliable and comfy car I've ever had. Should you ever rise again from the scrapyard, may you serve your new master with the same reliability and comfort that you had served me.

Now if you've read down this far, you may be asking what my replacement car is? Well, sorry to disappoint you folks, but it's yet another Vauxhall Vectra.

img479.imageshack.us/img479/4189/45495931ajd0.jpg

My Vectra is no more. - Avant
Very glad to hear there were no serious injuries, DD. Cheer yourself with the thought that hitting a VW Passat is rather more upmarket than hitting a bus....:)

It's easy to get fond of a car that serves you well, isn't it: I mentioned on another thread earlier today that there are plenty of people who knock Vauxhalls (I've done so myself) but there seem to be very few whinges fron people who actually own them. Let's hope the new one serves you as faithfully as the old.
My Vectra is no more. - sajid
sorry to hear of your prang dave i used to have a astra kept it for 5 years now a jazz owner, funny thing though theres a thread where a seller is selling a vxr no 16 as new for £19k have not lauged for ages though!!
My Vectra is no more. - rtj70
Glad you're all okay. And back on the road too. Surprising what damage there can be at low speeds.

I hear there's a guy in Crawley who can fix damaged Vauxhalls even VXR220's... Imran I think. Sorry couldn't resist :-) Delete as appropriate.
My Vectra is no more. - billy25
Think i've seen that No plate on the "new?" vectra on something else recently!
My Vectra is no more. - R75
beat me to it!!!! rtj70 lol.
My Vectra is no more. - Altea Ego
>Cheer yourself with the thought that hitting a VW Passat is rather more upmarket than hitting a bus....:)

Hold up Avant. I have to say thats a poor imitation. Where is the air ambulance? the fire brigade? he didn't even test the airbags!

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
My Vectra is no more. - R75
Don't see what the problem is! not much damage, just a light scratch really, I hear there is a body shop down Crawley way that would sort that out for you, apparently they are used to working on Vauxhalls!!! ;o)
My Vectra is no more. - billy25
DD, i hope the "Seller" told you it had that big scratch right down the side! and are they 48's on the front? :-)
My Vectra is no more. - cheddar
Sorry to hear the news Dave, could have been a lot worse.
Sorry to hear the news Dave could have been a lot worse.

Yes, I could have replaced it with a Mondeo.
My Vectra is no more. - cheddar
Yes I could have replaced it with a Mondeo.

Ha, I was accounting for the lack of injuries not your lack of taste.
My Vectra is no more. - Altea Ego
Hey guys, we only need one more write off and we can get a Backroom discount on driving lessons - sponsored by the insurance industry.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
My Vectra is no more. - hillman1 {p}
I'll see what I can do! ;-)
My Vectra is no more. - Lud
Hard luck DD, prangs are upsetting.

It was an automatic I believe? If so I imagine the new one will be too.

I hope it proves a younger, more sprightly version of the old one with just as much bottom.
Lud,

You are correct, another auto. Same engine and gearbox as before though (2.2 petrol and tiptronic box).

Not sure about the new version being more sprightly. This one is loaded with more toys and therefore I imagine heavier. Leather, sat nav, climate. However, I have noticed there is less autobox lag between changes and the engine being slightly more responsive. Mind you, after driving around in a Ford KA hire car for 2 weeks, anything would feel faster.