Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? Vol 1 - pmh

***** This thread has grown into quite a large discussion and therefore has been split up to make it easier to access for those still on dial up internet access. Volume 2 can be found by CLICKING HERE *****

The following posting has appeared on another website that I frequent. The poster is a genuine Citroen main dealer mechanic who is not prone to spurious postings. Has anybody here seen similar problems???????

Over the last week we have had a spate of oxygen sensors failing causing stalling/flat spot problems. Having enquired around it would appear other dealers in Kent have been experiencing problems and whilst a dealer in south london had no problems by lunchtime, a text later in the day confirmed that 3 had arrived as breakdowns by the afternoon.

It would appear that affected customers are using Morrisons, Asda, Safeway, Tescos & Total garages and have all filled up in the last 7 days.....the fault isnt apparent immediately.

Obviously without testing fuel i am unable to point the finger at the fuel suppliers, but it does seem strange that a component that has been in use for a good many years has suddenly developed a fault that causes them to fail one after the other.

I can only assume that something within the fuel is coating the sensor and stopping it performing as intended.

I do know that fuel samples are being tested, and will post results when known......but until then....be careful, it may cost you £250.

As a final note, this isnt limited to Citroen, i know of another multi franchise dealership that has problems across its product range, and all at the same time.

Original link www.citroenpicasso.org.uk/picasso/index.php?showto...5

--

pmh (was peter)

Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - midlifecrisis
Posted o Vec-C.com as well. Apparently lots of Vx dealers in the area reporting similar thing.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Screwloose

It's not just Kent. It's reported that some manufacturers central stores have run out of oxygen sensors due to the sudden demand.

If it's coated the cats as well, this could really cost them....
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - track
I tend to use a few forums regularly and recently there has been quite a few lambda failures. But I dont see how the fault can be pointed at supermarkets given they are supplied by nthe major players such as BP and shell. However if it is proven that there are certain fuels causing issues I foresee a mass of claims from consumers that have paid for new sensors etc.

on a side note, £250 for a lambda.... talkabout over priced dealers

There are now confirmed reports of hundreds of oxygen sensors failing in East Anglia too. All stocks now seem to be exhausted.

The affected supermarkets now seem well aware of the problem and are asking callers to submit claims.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - frazerjp
Funnily enough i had my lambda sensors replaced a month ago, not sure what the cause is but i live in Bucks.
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)

Unconfirmed reports say that the fuel was supplied with the wrong amount [too much?] detergent in it.

The SE and East Anglia seem the worst affected. Nothing can be done for the thousands of affected cars, as new sensors are currently back-ordered at all the manufacturers.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Vansboy
Without restarting the 'what benefits from Shell V Power, etc' & not trying to name n shame, the idevtified forecort brands mentioned above, would indicate that Shell are not implicated here.

Or am I just hoping we're OK, here in Luton & being Shell V Power users, imune?

VB
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Bill Payer
thousands of affected cars,

Wow - this sounds horrendous.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - oldpostie
There have been many complaints to BBC Northampton today (Wed) about fuel problems suffered by people in Northampton and Wellingborough. The BBC named Tesco, Sainsbury, and Morrison garages unleaded fuel, causing the lambda sensor to fail, and a lot of bad running. When I told my son he said his neighbour's car has the same trouble and is off the road.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Red Baron
Filled up today at a Jet near Birmingham Airport. Not noticed any problems yet.

If the detergent ratio is wrong, then assuming that the detergent is added via a dosimeter separately from the petrol into the tanker, then an awful lot of fuel could be out there and causing problems before the defect is/was noticed.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Hillfly
My Mum works for trading standards in Kent. She has said they are investigatin this very issue and are testing Tesco's fuel as apossible source.

There's usually no smoke without fire - but no fire without Oxygen sensors it seems : )

Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - harry m
are we just talking about unleaded fuel or does it affect diesel as well.thanks in advance.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - paulvm
Just heard about this in Basingstoke. Someone at work filled up last week at Tesco and the car's warning light came on over last weekend. Took it straight to main dealer who said it was the third that day and all had filled at Tesco. Driver is now waiting for dealer to get the replacement parts.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Collos25
I suppose now on the basis of a few cars breaking down which is not unusual given how many millions there are in the South just about all petrol will be deemed faulty.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - johnsnc
Has made it to the Beeb now with mention of Ethanol in the fuel .

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6405051.stm
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - J1mbo
I suggest we all buy Super Unleaded to avoid the prob! At least we will find out who supplies which supermarket.
Ethanol has a lower oxygen content than does petrol. Therefore the energy content is lower leading to less power from the engine and an increase in fuel consumption. Thereby oxygen starved engines will run poorly.

Fuel injection equipment in cars is only able to deal with the current 5 per cent of allowable ethanol addition. If too much ethanol is added, the fuel will be insufficiently burned (due to oxygen stavation) and will coke up the engine/sensors etc.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - rtj70
Reports via the BBC as far as Bradford.... problem could be wider spread?

So someone will probably start the pointless thread "so there is a difference between supermarket and major brand petrol after all".... Hope we don't see that thread. Especially if Ethanol in the petrol - could that mean other sources apart from supermarkets could be affected?

Tesco is apparently having emergency meeting at the moment. Let see if their customer service up to their usual standards even though it could cost them. But they did make over £2bn profit last year.
Just thinking about this ethanol in petrol problem - if that is what it is.

This is quite probably bioethanol (?) and we do not know how much as a percentage figure. But the UK government has an initiative (RTFO - Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation) to have a 5% bioethanol/biodiesel fuel blend by 2010, with interim targets in 2008/09 and 2009/10. Apparently 5% of all fuel is to be biofuel by 2010.

I do not think this means non-biofuel not available but if biofuel widespread by 2010 then more of us will accidentally be putting ethanol in cars that are not compatible. I know my car's handbook says do not use biofuel, although it might be okay on a 5% blend of biodiesel/diesel.

More info here: www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/environment/rtfo/
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Hamsafar
"Ethanol has a lower oxygen content than does petrol"

No, the opposite is true, it is added as a fuel oxygenator!
"Why is ethanol the preferred fuel oxygenate?
Fuel ethanol has several advantages over other oxygenated fuel candidates, such as methanol. It is far less corrosive and a much safer fuel to handle, since it is the same chemical found in beverage alcohol. Ethanol also has 33% more energy than methanol and when used in lower blend percentages, it will have little or no mileage effect. Fuel ethanol, a renewable fuel, is also readily available for fuel blending in North America, Brazil, and increasingly, in Southeast Asia."
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - local yokel
This was the lead item on R2 at 1q6.00 today. It's on the BBC, so it must be true.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - rogue-trooper
also on radio 5
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - El Hacko
yup, BBC Five Live led with the story half hour ago, but presenter now suggested it cld be another urban myth
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Altea Ego
If its on R5, it means it will be on watchdog next week, they will blame it on Renault.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Armitage Shanks {p}
It's not just Kent. It's reported that some manufacturers central stores have run out of oxygen sensors due to the sudden demand.

Sounds more like an urban fact to me!
It's not just Kent. It's reported that some manufacturers central stores
have run out of oxygen sensors due to the sudden demand.
Sounds more like an urban fact to me!

sounds like hysteria to me, the great sugar crisis of 83 anyone? how about the great bottled water crisis of 99?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
My mistake Ashok.

Ethanol is 33% oxygen. So, yes, it acts as a fuel extender by supplying more oxygen. What is missing is the carbon to attain the stoichiometric ratio required for combustion. I guess that the oxygen sensors are not calibrated to deal with a high percentage of ethanol in the fuel.
If at a mix level of 5% bioethanol to 95% petrol the European legal definition of petrol is still PETROL, then what leg might you have to stand on legally?

But 5% ethanol might not be okay for many older and not so old cars...

I see Tesco has tested fuel and declared in okay... but you can legally have 5% bioethanol and it is still legally petrol... that's what I picked up from this:

www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/environment/rtfo/
But the AA said tests showed ethanol was not to blame and the cause of the problem remained unknown.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Lounge Lizard
My mistake Ashok.
Ethanol is 33% oxygen. So, yes, it acts as a
fuel extender by supplying more oxygen. What is missing is
the carbon to attain the stoichiometric ratio required for combustion.

Ethanol does indeed consist of (just under) a third oxygen; but it does not supply oxygen to the combustion process!

Good job really, or the petrol might spontaneously explode in the tank!

CH3CH2OH plus 3O2 = 2CO2 plus 3H2O
Ethanol plus Oxygen = Carbondioxide plus Water

The above equation shows how each molecule of ethanol needs 3 molecules of oxygen to achieve complete oxidation. Ethanol does not supply its oxygen to the petrol because the oxygen is not free oxygen and ethanol is not an oxidising agent.

It is true that petrol with ethanol in it may consume slightly less oxygen than petrol without ethanol during the combustion process; but the energy output will slightly less by a similar amount because ethanol is a more oxidised molecule than are pure hydrocarbons.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - acr
My wife's MFG TF (54 plate) experienced these spluttering/stalling symptoms over the weekend. Just got the car back from local independent: 2 x Oxygen sensors @ £100 each plus £160 labour plus VAT :-( It was last filled with supermarket petrol in Twickenham (I'd best not name & shame). Now how do I go about claiming compensation...?
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - deepwith
On the itv news tonight they quoted BP as saying it is a problem with some imported petrol .... which they don't use.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - BobbyG
Our petrol station gets a delivery every 2 days so if it was a bad batch last week then there will be very little trace of it in the tanks now.

Of course it won't be the supermarkets who will ultimately pay out, it will be the refineries who supplied them with the dodgy fuel. Just the same as, say the Cadburys Easter Egg recalls, yes you take it back to Tesco and they give you the money back, but Tesco will claim every penny (and more) from Cadburys.
On TV there was mention of a form from the filling station. It would have to be proved the fuel itself was to blame I am sure though,
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - DP
Caught a phone-in on BBC Radio Oxford on the drive home. Quite a few callers reporting rough running, EML illumination and total breakdowns traced to failed oxygen sensors in the last few days after filling up at a well known supermarket in the area. One said the garage they took their car to had seen 8 others today alone.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - J Bonington Jagworth
I don't think ethanol would cause that kind of damage. After all, gasahol (in the US) contains about 10% ethanol and has been available for a long time.

I also found a link suggesting that cars belonging to Muslims might not be allowed to consume alcohol... :-)
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Micky
I would be interested in buying this contaminated fuel for use by my small yet perfectly formed fleet of elderly Brit nearly-classics. HEGO? Pah!

I might be able to stretch to 1p per litre.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Hamsafar
Sounds like the fuel is from a company called Greenenergy, which Tesco owns a large stake in.
I was reading about this company the other day, they are resposible for a lot of rainforest deforestation abroad, as they burn them down and plant palm trees and sugar cane which they then ship over here to make these 'green' fuel extenders.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - frazerjp
I was listening to an interview on Radio 4 this evening, a chap said his partners Clio started spluttering earlier on the week, he previously filled it with Shell & tesco, then the car ran funny & conked out.
The car needed a new oxygen sensor, will said can be caused by poor fuelling or some other mechanical fault which was ruled out.
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
To quote Greenergy the supplier in question:

"The company said its "extensive" tests on the batch of fuel showed that it met industry standards but it was continuing its investigation. "

So it might contain bioethanol then since petrol can contain 5% ethanol and still be called petrol... and allowed to do so but needs to be described as such because not all cars, even recent ones, can use it.

If this turns out to be an own goal in terms of bio fuels then .. well.

I will add that my TDCi Ford is not running right either.... diesel though and refilled at an extremely large supermarket in Slough last week..... hmmmm.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - L'escargot
'green' fuel extenders.

At last ~ some who puts "green" in inverted commas when they're not referring to the colour.
--
L\'escargot.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - richard price
Much discussion in the news/papers this morning, trading standards saying in the event of a claim you will have to produce a receipt , how many of us keep receipts unless you claim for tax, or expenses reasons. So will the bank/credit card statement be enough proof, or if you paid by credit card do they have any liability. What do you think.
Richard Price
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Mazda-Man
Anyone who uses a credit card or Tesco Clubcard or similar to pay for their fuel will have that as some proof surely.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Round The Bend
You would still have to prove that it was their duff fuel that caused the problem. At the moment the suppliers are not admitting there is any problem.................. of course they would say that would n't they?
_______
IanS
The way to do this is to take a sample of the fuel in the vehicle.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - movilogo
Other than Tesco & Morrisons, are all pumps safe?
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Dynamic Dave
Other than Tesco & Morrisons, are all pumps safe?

On ITN news last night Quentin Wilson said that BP ultimate was ok to use.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - bintang
In late 1950s Malaysia, it was said that retailers were mixing (untaxed) kerosine with their petrol but charging, of course, the full rate. It was said at the time that this type of contamination was extrememly difficult to detect. However, humidity and service standards were such that cars never went very well anyway but maybe there is another excise fraud at the bottom of the present case.
At the moment the suppliers are
not admitting there is any problem.................. of course they would say
that would n't they?

>>
They're still selling fuel, which would be madness if they had any doubt whatsoever.
Tend to agree - would be grossly negligent of they continued selling what could be contaminated fuel.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Edward
Glad I've got a simple French common rail turbo diesel and not one of those complicated petrol powered thingies with all those sensors and pumps and stuff that are so susceptible to misfuelling...............
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Falkirk Bairn
if you paid by credit card do they have any liability. What do you think

Liability of CC Companies is for purchases over £100 - does you tank hold 110 litres?.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - nortones2
What would affect so many oxygen sensors, unless through carbonisation? If it is the oxygen sensor! A site, www.picotech.com/auto/lambda_sensor.html seems to indicate that the life expectancy is 30,000 miles, but apparent symptoms may be due to other issues like misfire . Note the bit about carbonisation and short journeys: housewives cars!
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - diabhal
We've been hit by this problem and have just had the oxygen sensor replaced in our car. The problem is that it's now stuck in the garage with 30 litres of this fuel in its tank. The garage say they can pump it out but can't dispose of it due to strict regulations - so the ball is in our court on bringing cans to put it in! Is this really right? Are there garages that will pump it out and dispose of it themselves? Thanks for any advice.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - mike hannon
Just out of interest, does anyone know if some makes are more affected than others?
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - bintang
Are there garages that will pump it out and dispose of it themselves?

Garages have tanks for waste oil, hydraulic fluid and such and would probably help. They have to pay to have it removed, even though it is processed and ends up as "new" cheapo oil.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - henry k
The problem is that it's now stuck in the garage with 30 litres of this fuel in its tank.
The garage say they can pump it out but can't dispose of it due to strict regulations
so the ball is in our court on bringing cans to put it in! Is this really right?
Are there garages that will pump it out and dispose of it themselves?

>>
A previous thread listed the HSE requirements for dealing with petrol. Not an easy process.

But the advice from an "expert" on the BBC happily recommended "removing" the fuel from your tank.
How and by whom?

I guess any drained petrol would be OK in older vehicles but just try and convince anyone to accept it.

At least the story is changing from " there is nothing wrong with this petrol" and other tests are being made.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - artful dodger {P}
>>What would affect so many oxygen sensors, unless through carbonisation? If it is the oxygen sensor! A site, www.picotech.com/auto/lambda_sensor.html seems to indicate that the life expectancy is 30,000 miles, but apparent symptoms may be due to other issues like misfire .

This paragraph from the link might give a good explanation of what is happening. Very interesting link nortones2 that everyone should read - I learnt a lot about lambda sensors.

Everybody knows that spark plugs have to be replaced periodically to maintain peak engine performance, but many people don't realise the same goes for oxygen sensors. As long the lambda sensor is working properly, there's no reason to replace it. But after 30,000 to 50,000 miles of being constantly bathed in hot exhaust gas, a build up of deposits on the sensor tip can make it sluggish. If there's enough clinker on the sensor tip, the sensor may produce little or no voltage at all. This produces a false "lean" signal that makes the computer think the engine needs more fuel, which it doesn't but gets anyway. This creates a rich fuel condition that kills fuel economy and sends carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emissions soaring. The engine may also experience additional drivability problems such as surging or hesitation.

Is it possible that the above has happened and then mass hysteria has exploded the problem into a fuel scare? It would be very interesting to know if it is only modern engines that are affected or whether older ones (over 7 years) are failing as well.

--
Roger
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - mrs_angel
I'm looking to interview people who've been affected by the fuel crisis for a women's magazine - if you can help at all or want more info, please PM me. Thanks.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Andy P
What I find surprising is that the sensor failed within a matter of weeks - if something is contaminating it then it must be pretty potent.

Any ideas?
I thought the failures were occuring within hours or days - I don't think weeks has come into it.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - No FM2R
I know nothing about the situation, but I'm prepared to bet that hysteria, coincidence and sensationalism are the true culprits.
If you don't know anything about the situation AND are prepared to bet I'll give it a try! What is the bet and what is the amount? If I win I will give the money to a charity (3rd World Kids or similar)
Ok.

I'll pay a tenner to either a kids charity or a cancer charity if it turns out that there is actually something wrong with the fuel.

And if there is nothing wrong with the fuel I pay? I'll stake £10 that there will be a fault which is fuel related rather than car related. As it is for charity I hope the mods will permit this within the forum?
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Mapmaker
I'm offering better odds than Mark. If there's something wrong with the petrol, I'll donate £10 to a children's charity. If there's nothing wrong with the petrol, then you donate £5.

Anybody else wish to throw their money away?

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6407447.stm suggests to me mass hysteria. How can cars in Dundee be affected - it's supposed to be a refinery problem, for goodness sake? It also shows highest concentrations of problems in areas where population or population movement are highest - M6, M1, London, Manchester.

Assume there are 20 million cars in Britain, and these cars do 10k miles per annum on average. The BBC website suggests that the lifespan of an oxygen sensor is 30- 50k miles. Assuming that we all adopt a similar servicing regime to Mark's, a car will get a new sensor every 8 years on average. Assume half of all cars are too antiquated to have these sensors in the first place. So we have a national requirement for 1.25 million new sensors annually - 25,000 per week. No wonder the BBC can find 3,500 that have failed in the last week.

I'm going to pretend to be a bored journalist. I'm going to start a new scare about using salt on the roads. My front tyres are due for replacement, and I think they've worn down additionally this winter. The salt on the roads must have caused undue wear. Would anybody else who has replaced tyres on his car recently, and who thinks that they should have lasted longer, please send me a PM. Bah!

Anybody up for taking that tenner off me?
As it is for charity, I'll have a bet with Mapmaker and Mark. I think it is fuel related and will pay out if it isn't. Is DD the stakeholder and adjudicator on this?
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - L'escargot
I know nothing about the situation, but I'm prepared to bet
that hysteria, coincidence and sensationalism are the true culprits.

I wouldn't mind a bit of the action.
--
L\'escargot.
I know nothing about the situation, but I'm prepared to bet
that hysteria, coincidence and sensationalism are the true culprits.

If you think that - then you really do know nothing of the situation.

Small independant garages were posting about floods of sensors suddenly failing [27 in one case] on various trade forums well before this reached the public consciousness, or the BBC got involved. Hysteria isn't normally a valid reason for what is genuine sensor failure.

The engines that seem most affected are ones with sensors mounted high in the manifold near the exhaust ports. Once dead they seem to stay dead; giving a constant rich reading - often around 6-700mv. Obviously, the cars can't be used in that condition; it would risk cat damage.

There may be nothing legally wrong with the fuel. There was nothing legally wrong with Formula Shell - that didn't stop it being withdrawn for causing Vauxhalls to eat their valves.

Supermarket fuels are usually very light on additives - particularly detergent. It would reasonably follow that regular users might have quite a build-up of fuel deposit on their tanks, lines and filters. Suddenly adding a lot of, or a different, detergent additive to such cars might release this contamination in a single pulse and destroy vulnerable sensors..... [Only my theory...]
>>If you think that - then you really do know nothing of the situation.

So, me saying I know nothing about the situation wasn't enough of a clue for you ?
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Nostalgic
Until recently I was using Shell V Power (which according to HJ's FAQ's contains bioethanol). Every hundred miles or so the engine warning light came on and the engine cut out. I reverted to using standard unleaded and the problem has disappeared. Prior to using V power I filled with Optimax and never had a problem.
The last time my Mondeo was in for some work (leaking common rail injection system), the senior engineer and I got chatting. He said they get lots of cars in for repair work due to the use of biofuels. Did not go into figure but I know my TDCi manual says do not use biodiesel.

So could this all be because there is fuel out there with bioethanol/biodiesel in it that many modern cars cannot tolerate? I know there is a government backed move to more biofuel use but the pump surely needs labelling so people know that it is a biofuel? Or is this 5% biofuel ratio low enough for it to be considered to be normal fuel?

I see on the news that the company providing the fuel down south admits it contained bioethanol. But surely it should be down to an individual to decide if they should be putting bioethanol in their petrol cars and not supermarkets hiding this information from them?

Can any backroomers comment on biofuels in our cars? Should they all run okay?
I'm looking to interview people who've been affected by the fuel
crisis for a women's magazine - if you can help at
all or want more info, please PM me. Thanks.

I'm now having councelling, having seen the news reports. Does that count?
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Chad.R
I'm looking to interview people who've been affected by the fuel
crisis for a women's magazine - if you can help at
all or want more info, please PM me. Thanks.

I haven't been affected nor do I want to be interviewed but those who have and do, won't be able to "PM" you if you don't give your details; your profile is "hidden"
BBC 1300 news had an item from a dealership in South London which has run out of parking space for 'dead' cars that have been brought in. French make and not PSA but I am sure all petrol makes are affected to some degree.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - SpamCan61 {P}
The folks who I bought my Omega replacement sensor from a while back (due to the heater element failing on the old one) also have a noddy guide to lambda sensors:-

www.gendan.co.uk/article_11.html
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - milkyjoe
alll cars with oxygen sensors should be off the road until they have been checked and certified by an mot centre , if they are not running properly ie emmisions then they are a hazard to the planet
yes indeedy, all petrol powered car in the s/east of england should be taken off the road NOW, its a scandal.

PLus that leaves room for me and my fellow diesel drivers...............
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - cheddar
So what is going wrong?

There has been a spate of failures well above the mean norm, older less sophisticated vehicles suffer less or not at all.

ALL vehicles effected have been reported to have fueled at supermarket sites supplied by ONE distributor.

Some makes are more effected perhaps due to the tolerance of the specific oxygen sensor fitted.

The evidence is still circumstantial until a fuel sample tests positive for a contaminant however I am with AS, I will pay a tenner to charity if it turns out that there is not something wrong with the fuel.

Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Dipstick
Oh dear God.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Round The Bend
If it is mass hysteria, why are there so many cars parked up at garages awaiting repair? I think we should be told.

I reckon that the bird flu virus has mutated into car flu.
_______
IanS
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Mapmaker
Cheddar, just look at this map.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6407447.stm

Petrol from Penzance, Belfast and Dundee has apparently been affected.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - cheddar
Cheddar, just look at this map.
Petrol from Penzance, Belfast and Dundee has apparently been affected.

I guess, one or two cars in Penzance, perhaps two or three in Dundee etc, they are either misguided or blaggers, though there are literally thousands effected in the southeast.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Dalglish
in response to the bets being made:

i bet that this is all due
1. either to global warming (a. which is why the bioethanol is being used and b.because it is affecting the warmer parts of the country that "suffered" the warmest winter on record)
2. and/or it is a plot to make us use more saudi arabian oil.

if it is 1., then we can blame al gore, former us-vice-president and china.
if it is 2., then we can blame al qaeda and george bush and tony blair (because they want to divert source of supplies from saudi to oil from iraq. )

it it is none of the these, then it is all to do with the express newspaper and the secret service causing the death of a princess in paris. not forgetting the fake moon landing.

p.s. isn't the bioethanol petrol supposed to be the cause of all this sold by just two retailers in their 99 octane super-unleaded brand? if so, it was a fate well deserving of all those mugs who paid for the 99 octane when 95 will do just as well.
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - madf
I understand the fuel supplier involved is at least partially owned by one of the supermarkets concerned which may have a bearing on the matter. I refute any inference that ownership of the problem would be easier if it was a third party supplier.

madf
You called to me in your hour of need my Son?
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - ForumNeedsModerating
Up here in N.Wales we're taking no chances - the authorities have advised people to stay indoors unless their
journeys are absolutely necessary. The schools, of course, have all closed until further notice. I myself (along with many
of my concerned neighbours) have emptied all fuel from our vehicles & taken extra security measures in case of 'rogue'
elements . We've been told it may be a while until things return to some sort of normality - just a minute, what was tha.....-

Is there anybody out there? heLLO, HELLOOO?
I blame deleted, Avoid the place, they will wreck your car,

The petrol that comes out of the pumps at 18:30 tonight is specially bad, really terrible stuff, keep well away.,

Thats 18:30 tonight. remember
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Poor fuel quality Kent SE England? - Phil I
this is your last warning:

30minutes to zero.

Phil I