00 1.9 indicators not working - Pat L
Looking for some advice, please. The indicators on my wife's A4 are playing up - they sometimes work but at other times they make no sound inside the car and the little green lights on the dash don't come on. Is it a relay switch or something simple I might be able to fix myself. Or is it a garage job?
Thanks
Pat

Edited by Pat L on 25/04/2009 at 16:39

00 1.9 indicators not working - elekie&a/c doctor
The hazard switch is a common fault for erratic indicator problems.Try pushing the switch in and out a few times .hth
00 1.9 indicators not working - ifithelps
Indicators not working on an Audi? Common fault which they share with BMWs. :)
Thanks for the reply. I'll try that. When my wife first told me about I put the hazards on and checked that all indicators were flashing (they were). And as I drove the car the indicators seemed to work so I thought it was a temporary glitch but I used the car today and the internal lights/sound were definitely playing up.
ifithelps - lol! But both me and swmbo actually use the indicators (unlike some of the folk here in the Vale of Evesham).
00 1.9 indicators not working - ifithelps
...unlike some of the folk here in the Vale of Evesham...

Perhaps the drivers are too busy admiring the scenery to indicate.

Pleasant - and very fertile - part of the world.

Bet it's a lovely evening there now.
Yes, a pleasant evening but going cool enough for me to light the woodburning stove. Indications (motoring link!) are that tomorrow will be a bit showery.
Pat
Well, I tried switching on the hazard lights a few times but it hasn't solved the problem. When I put on (say) a left indicator the green dash left arrow flashes erratically (and the actual indicators flash) but then it will stop. If I turn it off and retry it will then usually come on. Any ideas?
00 1.9 indicators not working - dieselnut
If it's the same as a Passat which I think it is, the indicator relay is part of the hazard switch button.
I had the same problem with my sons Passat.
If you remove the hazard switch & prise off the rear cover there is a small relay inside.
The contacts will be only just touching.
If you bend one slightly so they make good contact i'm sure reliable indicating will be restored.
Alternatively, buy a new hazard switch.
Many thanks. How do I get the hazard switch out?
00 1.9 indicators not working - dieselnut
Here are the instructions copied from my Passat CD manual.

Removing switch:

First switch off ignition and all electrical consumers and remove ignition key.
Protect dash panel insert around switch with adhesive tape if necessary.
Loosen switch trim with a flat synthetic wedge or screwdriver and remove.
Pull out switch using a pair of pliers on the now visible frame.
Pull off connector

Installing switch:

Push on connector.
Push switch into mounting and engage
Fit switch trim and engage.
Thanks, deiselnut. l'll have to wait for the weekend but I'll give it a whirl.
00 1.9 indicators not working - Dave_TD
My Skoda Octavia (same switch I think) needed the indicator stalk replacing after suffering the same problem. The dealer replaced the hazard switch/relay twice but to no avail.

After around 90,000 miles the indicator switch gets filled up with gunk (dust, skin, grime etc) which makes the electrical contacts less effective. A squirt of WD40 right into the innards of the stalk switch, followed by vigourously working the stalk up and down, will fix the problem temporarily, but replacement is the only real answer.

If the hazard switch works correctly then it can't be the relay, can it? It must be the stalk which switches the relay on and off. It took the Skoda dealer 2 years to realise this.

Indicators not working on an Audi? Common fault which they share with BMWs. :)

Which makes my Skoda problem all the more surprising, as it was a taxi.... ;-)

Edited by Dave_TD {P} on 03/05/2009 at 00:55