01 1.9 diesel (non turbo) knocking when cold - Peugeot 307 2004 hdi
Hi, can anyone give me a little advice abut my peugeot.

When started from cold the engine nock's quite loudly and shakes at idlle. To me it seams like it may not be firing on all cylinders. The revs also fluctuate ever so slightly.

This continues when idling untill the car is throughly warmed up or the revs are raised above idle.

When the car is up to temperature there is no problem apart from the engine nocking slighly more then normal under idle.

Thanks in advance form any advice you may have.

Edited by Webmaster on 07/02/2009 at 20:29

01 1.9 diesel (non turbo) knocking when cold - Peter.N.
I suspect it also chucks out some white smoke when you start it. Yes, it is misfiring, first check that all the glow plugs are working, if they are the problem it should run OK after a minute or so, if its still knocking and running unevenly, it sounds as though have a faulty injector, which if its an XUD engine is not expensive.
Thanks for the reply.

No white smoke on starting.

I have tested the glow plugs and to my knowledge they are all working.

Its just come back from the garage a week ago they have tried to correct the problem by fitting a new part to the engine mounting and advanced solenoid, also i have just had the timing and cam belt changed.

Can you tell me how to check if it is the XUD engine you mentioned?

The nocking gets better once the engine is warmed up, and it is not present during accelleration in a warm engine. However, if idling or take my foot off the accelerator even when up to temperature to slow down, the nocking is once again emphasised untill i start to accelerate again.

Thanks for your time
An XUD engine will have an injection pump with a pipe to each injector, basically the same engine that the 205 uses. Is it knocking on just one cylinder or all?

Edited by Peter.N. on 09/02/2009 at 22:24

Ok, i am quite sure it is an XUD engine as it has a pipe running to each injector.

I would hazard a guess that it is only one of the cylinders nocking. The nocking noise is not constant like i might expect if all the cylinders were doing it, it is more intermittant. (i hope this makes sense with my limited knowledge).

Sounds about right, it would be a clatter rather than a knock if they were all doing it. There is a way that you can find out which one it is, if you are up to getting you hands dirty. The pipe to each injector is secured with a 17mm nut, if, with the engine running running, you slacken each nut itn turn it will allow the fuel to leak out and stop that cylinder from firing, the knock will stop when you have found the right one. A problem that you might have is that the engine will stop, so it will probably be necessary to tempororaly increase the tickover speed. Keep you hand well away from the end of the pipe is the pressure is high!
Great i will give it a try this weekend and then let you know the outcome. If in doing as you mentioned above and i can locate which cylinder it is thats nocking what would you recomend the next stage is?

Also can you tell me just out of curiosity what/how/why is the nocking noise created?

Thanks for the clear and straight forwards advice.
Hi again Peter, I have done a little researching on the internet and as far as I can tell my 206 has a DW8 engine, which is in its essence an XUD plus air conditioning and a few minor differences.

Injectors:

When under the bonnet and listening closely to the engine run, it sounds as though more noise is coming from the drivers side.

I can get to two of the injectors easily (The furthest over on drivers side, lets say injector 1 and the furthest on the passenger side, lets say number 4) so i have had a go at loosening them in turn.

Result: When i loosened injector one the noise level of the engine didnt change to much, however when i loosened injector 4 this created a lot of noise. Can you shed any light on this? I will repeat the test again just to check.

Thanks

01 1.9 diesel (non turbo) knocking when cold - partner2002
Peter N needs to know that the XUD engine was never fitted to the 206.
Sorry about that, that's why I asked. What engine is it then?
01 1.9 diesel (non turbo) knocking when cold - astrabob
Might be a partly blocked injector.
Try taking the engine to almost the rev limit on the motorway (probably in third gear). (Obviously the engine should be warm before you do this, and the cambelt in good condition).

This clears the injectors out. A colleague has just solved a similar problem on his diesel Vectra by doing this.
Thanks for looking and posting some help.

Can you tell me how to tell what sort of engine it is in my 206? its a 2001 1.9 diesel.

I will have a go at running in third gear as i have a drive to do today ( i believe this is known as an italian tune up).

I bought some cheap so called injector cleaner from the petrol station, this has seamed to make a little difference in a good way but the nocking is definately still present and a few stutters/miss fires between 1-2 RPM when gently on the throtle.

thanks for the advice, if no luck with the italian tune up i will have a go at loosening the injectors one by one to see if this identifies the issue.

Thanks

Hi again Peter, I have done a little researching on the internet and as far as I can tell my 206 has a DW8 engine, which is in its essence an XUD plus air conditioning and a few minor differences.

Injectors:

When under the bonnet and listening closely to the engine run, it sounds as though more noise is coming from the drivers side.

I can get to two of the injectors easily (The furthest over on drivers side, lets say injector 1 and the furthest on the passenger side, lets say number 4) so i have had a go at loosening them in turn.

Result: When i loosened injector one the noise level of the engine didnt change to much, however when i loosened injector 4 this created a lot of noise. Can you shed any light on this? I will repeat the test again just to check.

Thanks
You really need to try the middle ones as well. If you can't get to the injectors, follow the pipes down and slacken them the pump end. I can only conclude theat the increase in noise is because you are relying more on the faulty one, but don't understand why only one of them has that effect. Ah just a thought, does injector four have a wire connected to it? If so it will be a sensor, so when you slacken it the wrong signals will be sent to the pump.
01 1.9 diesel (non turbo) knocking when cold - mcisaac08
hi i have the same problem with my own 1.9 diesel 206 van dw8 engine. i think your problem is the relay under the ecu it will be iether black or brown your timing advance solenoid runs through this. £36 inc vat from peugeot. it did,nt help my one but i know a few people with same engine and it curred there fault which is the same as mine and yours.
ps under your ecu there is a metal plate the relay is under there.if it,s not that it might need a software upgrade from peugeot £40-£60 my one is going in on fri coz i have to date replaced timing advance solenoid had all the injectors tested had the ecu sent away and tested and replaced that relay(common fault) and also had all the wiring harness tested.so before you do all that change the relay.
good luck!!!!
Thanks for the advice, its had a trip to peugeot. They found the timing to be out by 1/2 a notch. It now drives and sounds mutch better when its warmed up (not perfect) but is still rought when starting. They say this is because injector 1 needle is leaking so i am going to try to change this and see how things are.
I have searched high and low to find an injector for the DW8 engine. Peugeot want to charge me £200 for it so i said no. I have only been able to find one in the UK and they want mine in exchange (£70) which is not very convenient for me. Does anyone one know where i can et hold of one, preferably secondhand?

The code on it reads LCR6736001

Thanks if you can help
01 1.9 diesel (non turbo) knocking when cold - Shef
There's a brilliant diesel tune/garage in Egham, well Englefield Green, Armstrong or Albert Road I think that refurb injectors and can do it while you wait if you book.