2005 1.3L - Faulty Brake Lights - pcmd1970
I have just realised that two of my brake lights are not working, the high one in the middle top of my rear window works fine but the left and right ones are not working when I brake but they work fine as lights when not braking so I assume the bulbs are OK. Is this a common problem with this Ford? and is it easily(cheaply) fixed and likely to be a warranty exclusion as wear and tear ? ( I have two months warranty left). Thanks any suggestions

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/03/2008 at 21:22

2005 1.3L - Faulty Brake Lights - Screwloose

The bulbs may have two independent filaments [or even separate bulbs] for tail and brake; take them out and check.
2005 1.3L - Faulty Brake Lights - Dynamic Dave
the left and right ones are not working when I brake but they work fine as lights when not braking so I assume the bulbs are OK.

Not familiar with Fiesta light clusters, but if they share the same part of the rear light cluster, then they could be twin filament bulbs (21 watt / 5 watt), and the 21 watt filament in the bulbs could have blown.

Have both sides failed at the same time, or is it that you've only just noticed they're not working and one side could have failed some time ago?
Have both sides failed at the same time or is it that you've only just
noticed they're not working and one side could have failed some time ago?

I realised today both were gone so they may or may not have gone together, if it is bulbs/filaments is this likely to be covered by warranty or excluded as wear & tear (only done 18k since new) ? If it is unlikely to be covered I'll go to a back street garage rather than pay Fords labour, I wouldn't know how to test the bulbs myself
Bulbs won't be covered under warranty. Easy enough to change yourself without resorting to paying a garage. I suspect your owners handbook in the glovebox will tell you. The bulbs are cheap as chips and can be bought from any motorists shop. Just ask for a 12 volt 21/5 watt stop and tail light bulb.

99% of the time you can hold them up to daylight and you'll be able to see if the filament has gone.
I checked my manual and its says the bulbs can be accessed by undoing three screws with a phillips screwdriver. I've taken a look and they look like torx scres to me - can anyone who's changed bulbs on a mk6 confirm - thanks
Thanks for the tips and giving me the confidence to try and fix it myself, got the bulbs and a torx screwdriver tonight and it worked. Not easy to do but better than taking to a garage.

I only replaced one and tested them and they both worked ?

Edited by pcmd1970 on 26/03/2008 at 17:48

Glad you got it sorted (and saved some money by not having to pay someone to do it). Maybe the other one was just a loose connection.