2002 2.2 Headlamp removal - Claver
My nearside headlight unit on my 52 reg Vectra-C has damp inside so I want to take it out and dry it off.
I can see 2 obvious small bolts but cannot see the third bolt that holds the headlamp unit in place - It feels like it is behind the edge of the wing.
Any ideas??

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/07/2009 at 19:24

52 plate Headlamp removal - topbloke
believe it or not headlamp removal needs the bumper removing, let me know if you want to know how !!!!!!!!!!!
52 plate Headlamp removal - Dynamic Dave
needs the bumper removing

As he says.
52 plate Headlamp removal - see_a_moon
As for the bumper being removed i know how to do it but i have a problem with the rivets on the underside of the vehicle. How are these supposed to come off? the regular way we do it is drilling them out but i prefer to find out if its the correct way before i just go in at it. i would appreciate a speedy reply as im going back to my garrison shortly.

cheers
have a problem with the rivets on the underside of the vehicle.

If it's the ones I'm thinking of, then there should be a small plastic pin in the centre of the rivet that you have to push out to release the 4 splayed out arms that lock into the hole. Providing you can find the plastic pin, the rivet can be re-used.

A picture paints a 1000 words. Here is the rivet I'm thinking of with the pin not pushed through to open the 4 arms.

www.bresco.com/acatalog/DRR057-1-Mid.jpg

52 plate Headlamp removal - see_a_moon
cheers for the advise. didnt fully understand until the first one came out but after that, job was easy. cheers for the help, hope to return the favour sometime
52 plate Headlamp removal - Screwloose

Can you just leave the back off and let it ventilate?
52 plate Headlamp removal - Claver
Tks - I've tried leaving the back off but in this damp weather it doesn't dry off. So it looks like the bumper has to come off - - who would be a motor mechanic!!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/02/2008 at 18:53

stating the obvious here but i assume that you have removed the rear cover and then put the lights on and left it till the moisture has gone then let the headlight cool off then put cover back on if you want specific's on how to remove let me know
Errr ...... Topbloke.....that's far too obvious!
So I'll try it tomorrow but why the hell did I not think of that myself?
There's always an easy way and that appears to be it. Thanks a million.
this is the way we test the headlamps under warranty we have to do as above for twenty mins and if all water go's then it has passed and will not be replaced under warranty
52 plate Headlamp removal - Kevin
>stating the obvious here..

A hairdryer is quicker.

Kevin...
had a customer do that this weekend car failed its mot for headlamp having no patten due to water "Ill sort that he says, hour later, er could you order me a new headlamp please as the glass has cracked on mine" use the heat from the bulb, far safer (ps i know the lights are made from plastic/polycarb even more reason to use the heat from the bulb less likely to craze/deform)
I took topbloke's advice, removed the cover and left headlights on full beam with engine idling. Took 2 evenings and a total of 3 hours running but 95% of water has gone. The lens was streaming with water and now there's a small moist area so another session will do it. The time is needed cos the upper part of the lens (indicator) doesn't get so hot. Now I think it'll pass the MOT which is due within 4 weeks.
Thanks Forum for the advice.
I know this is an old post, but to resolve the common problem of the nearside front fog light misting up I put a small bag of desiccant (moisture absorber) in the light assembly. They can often be found in the box of an electrical item you've bought, or in the box of a new pair of shoes. This may well get rid of the condensation in the headlight.
2002 2.2 Headlamp removal - topbloke
:)

Edited by topbloke on 30/07/2009 at 21:05