2004 Edge TDCi 115 - ABS light problem - wozzatdci
Hello, I am new to this forum but I have joined as I am having a problem with my car. My ABS and Brake Fluid light randomly flash up very occasionally whilst driving. I have checked the basics like brake fluid, pads etc. Another problem which is connected with the ABS light is that it doesn't illuminate when the ignition is first turned on. The actual ABS works as it should as I have had it operating off the public roads and it works fine. I have had the problem looked at a Ford dealer and they have said that there are no stored previous faults or current fault codes present. My concern is that come MOT time in March it will fail due to the ABS light not coming on and going out when the ignition is turned on. Can anyone please advise me what it could be or if anyone has experienced this problem before. The car is an 04 plate with 80k miles.

Many thanks,

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/01/2008 at 13:40

Can anyone help me with this problem please???
2004 Edge TDCi 115 - ABS light problem - Screwloose
wozza

So the ABS light doesn't come on at key-on? [Yes; that will fail the MOT.]

In that case, there should be codes in both the ABS [C1218 - ABS warning lamp circuit malfunction] and in the dashpod memory. Didn't the dealer's muppet even try to actuate the light from the ABS module with the IDS? What was their recommendation?

Check fuses 36, 41, 46 and 61.
They said the abs was working correctly - thats all I know. As to why the light doesn't come on on the key they are going to do some more investigation next week (at no further cost so am told!!). They even mentioned about getting in touch with Ford UK. The lamp works as it comes on at random as mentioned previously so I know the bulb is working. Any other ideas?

wozza
Screwloose, thanks for the reply.
Checked the fuses - all OK.

wozza

Yes the fuses were a long-shot, but you have to eliminate the basics.

Once plugged-in; it's easy to use the scanner to actuate anything you want to. All they have to do is actuate the light from the ABS and if it doesn't, try the same with the instrument/display module. If that doesn't light it - new pod.
Thanks Screwloose, I will see what the dealer comes up with. If it is a new instument panel then so be it - so long as it cures the problem. I get a discount on Ford parts as I work for another brand of Ford so that should take some of the sting out of it.

Wozza
2004 Edge TDCi 115 - ABS light problem - pgainey
I have a similar problem on 1.6 CL focus.

I have intermittant flashing of both the ABS and Brake Warning Lights. I have sent it to local ford main dealer who said it is an intermittant fault and there are no fault codes anywhere including abs unit and charged me £60 for the trouble.
It is getting progressively worse. Sometimes one of the lights may stay on for 2-3 days and then be fine for 2 days then a weeks worth of flashing, there is no real pattern!
What i have noticed is that it is never the same lights on at the same time! They always flash seperately, one or the other or alternate but never on at the same time?!

I have checked all the basics as mentioned in rest of thread. I have tested break fluid and hand brake switches.

Ford want £300+ for new cluster but can not guarentee the fix!

Any ideas?

Ring BBA-Reman; they may be able to repair it for you.
First time I took mine in to Ford they charged me 80-quid for the privilege of telling me there were no fault codes present and that they needed to look at it again another day with the 'Master Technician' (ooohhh sounds important doesn't he?!). Booked it in again, car spent all day in the carpark - waste of time. Booked in again and told no charge for further diagnosic check (good job!) then told it was ABS module fault (700 quid to fix) - Oh and if they have diagnosed it incorrectly and it doesn't fix the fault then tough you'll have to keep replacing everything on the car until its fixed. If it was a fault with the ABS module wouldn't the ABS light stay on all the time?? I have been following a forum on the R-A-C website and some people have removed the circuit board off the back of their dash display and cleaned it up and sprayed it with WD40 and then re-fitted and in some cases it has cured the problem. There is a problem with the dash units on lots of Focii so I'm guessing mine is faulty too. My MOT is up at the end of the month and because the ABS light does not illuminate on the turn of the key to Position 2 it'll fail. Help!
2004 Edge TDCi 115 - ABS light problem - pgainey
Wozza,

I too found the thread on RAC forum and took their advice and removed the dash. It really is quite simple, only 3 phillips screws to remove the surround then 4 more to remove dash. Take the cable plug off the back of the dash then remove the back. This is 4 clips around the edge and 2 torx screws. Once the back is removed you can see the printed circuit board.

Mine had what looked like a powdery "growth" that was obviosly intermitantly shorting out on the pcb tracks, giving me flashing lights and loss of trip etc. I cleaned it with a small stiff brush and some electrical contact cleaner.

I put it back together and hepresto no flashers since.

Hope you are suceessfull.

There must be a problem with the lacquer on the pcb? Ford must know there is a prob as 100's have written to them according to other forums?

Cheers,

Paul.
2004 Edge TDCi 115 - ABS light problem - coxy37

Hi i have also got this problem with my ford focus 1.6 zetec 53 plate the abs light has been flashing intermittantly and will not come on with the turn of the ignition. The abs light stopped flashing intermittantly for a short while only to be replaced by the brake warning light doing the same thing sometimes staying on other times not at all have checked the brake fluid level which is upto the maximum level and the handrake switch all ok. Now the car has reverted back to the abs light staying on or flashing. When the brake warning light was flashing i tryed emergency stops and the abs kicks in so i am sure it's working fine. Wozzatdi did you find a cure? was it the clocks cluster panel circuit board needing cleaning. Any help would be much appreciated as i know the car will not get through it's next mot without this very frustrating problem being fixed thanks. Adam

Edited by coxy37 on 04/02/2015 at 15:47

2004 Edge TDCi 115 - ABS light problem - SJD5

Got the same issue om my 2000 Zetec. It started with the ABS Light and Handbrake light flickering on and off and then they've both staying on permanently for a week r so.

Took it in to my local garage and they connected the diagnostic thing but it came back with a cross and couldn't read the codes. They checked all the sensors, fuses and relays without any joy. Took it to National this morning to see if they could read the codes and they couldn't, I was watching the screen and it returned X. They couldn't tell me if they thought it was the cars ECU at fault and therefore throwing out the lights or whether it was the ABS that was making the lights stay on.

In the same boat as I have my MOT next month. Had the car from new and its run perfectly all the time so I really want to keep it going a bit longer but I'm running out of ideas.

I've located the ABS module and tomorrow I'm going to get the part number and order one from the internet and ask a local garage to fit it. The parts about £50 so it feels like worth giving it go, although I don't think it will work and the car will have to be scrapped.

2004 Edge TDCi 115 - ABS light problem - coxy37

I have exactly the same problem with the abs light intermittant and brake warning light. I have also taken my car back to the dealer i bought the car from and they did the diagnostic while with them no fault codes found even with the abs light on, He tried it down the road with the diagnostic check running and wheel sensors all ok so i know its not them. Have changed the cluster panel from one i bought form a breakers yard and checked cicuit board and solder joints still no joy. Have changed the brake fluid master cylinder sensor as well with no joy. Please Please Please help as i am running out of patience trying to sort this problem before my Mot in August My car is a Ford Focus 1.6 Zecec on a 53 plate Adam.

20003 16LX - ABS light problem - Cars T.L.C

Well iv been there could'nt get light off i had the car in garage and they cleared the code so no light on . I picked car up as soon as i drove 1 meter light on so they did it again and it did the same got money back as all they was doing was clearing the ECU of the coad not fixing the problem or looking for it as it took them all of 5min to come back to me and say all done. I got home and had a look at the abs sencor un pluged wires and brass connection was green so when around clead them all and YES IT FIXED IT . Then month or so later did it again checked ABS fluid, all wirers , hub as this is were the ABS ring is clean the dirt way . NO LUCK. So book it in ford they found a loos wire sorted £54. happy days . No a few weeks later come on again so back to ford found a wire that had rubbed right back to the bear copper £75 for new sensor plus £54 diagnostic . I got a set of 4 and did it my self as was cheper ford say light will go off when all done as no more code in ECU . So did all this then drove car 5 miles light still on so ford had car back as they say must be more wrong week later i go a call £360 for new wheel bearing year later 8/1/2016 light back on toped up with ABS fluid and so far so good .