Longest road in Britain? - cheddar
Longest road in Britain, not the M1 or A1, it must be the A38, starts off in Cornwall south west of Liskeard, passes Taunton goes through Bristol, Birmingham, Derby etc etc ends up somewhere close to Rekjavik!

Anyone know the full length?

Regards.
Longest road in Britain? - volvoman
No, no, no! It must be the South Circular in London - Well, it certainly seems like the longest :)
Longest road in Britain? - Altea Ego
South Circ? certainly the most useless.
Does that include the bits where its not called the A38?
Does that include the bits where its not called the A38?

Yes, includes the bits where it is called "High St", "Acacia Avenue" etc.
Even where its called M5 or A380 or A379?
Even where its called M5 or A380 or A379?

ASAIK the A38 exists in it's own right along the length of the M5 northbound, but for a couple of miles around Exeter, until they diverge around Birmingham. The A380 heads off from Exeter area towards Newton Abbott independantly of the A38, not sure about the A379.

Regards.
Longest road in Britain? - teabelly
Isn't it the M25? It is as long as you want it :-)
teabelly
Longest road in Britain? - Badger
Do we mean the longest continuous road or the longest road carrying a single number?

--
Badger was previously registered as Stripey
Longest road in Britain? - keo-the-dog
i was told years ago that the longest road in britain is the london road in glasgow . not numbers going from one to another like a38 near me is gloucester road and goes through bristol changing its name as it goes although retaining the a38 as a title. (dont know if that looks right but i know what i mean)...ps i am most probably totally wrong but the london road glasgow is a long road...cheers...keo
Longest road in Britain? - Dwight Van Driver
tinyurl.com/5p48v

Starts in Dover and heads north. Even a bit top end of North Yorks and IIRC ends somewhere further north.

DVD
Stops at Hadrians Wall tho!
Longest road in Britain? - SamH
I make London Road in Glasgow about 4.7 miles long. I'm not sure how that compares with other roads.

I know Duke Street in Glasgow at 2 miles long was the longest street in Europe a few years ago. Not sure if it still is.
Longest road in Britain? - keo-the-dog
in reply to sam your right i think it was something to do with houses on it cant remeber the details but was a long time ago...cheers...keo
Longest road in Britain? - patently
Do we mean the longest continuous road or the longest road
carrying a single number?

I think we have to require a continuous identity - ideally by way of the name or number.

If we just mean the longest unbroken stretch of tarmac then I nominate the one that starts at Land's End and which, if driven along, eventually delivers you to John O'Groats.
Longest road in Britain? - Avant
The A6 used to run from London to beyond Carlisle: that was surely longer than the A38, but I'm not sure how far south the A6 comes nowadays. I remember (pre-M25) seeing signs to it at London Colney in Herts.
Longest road in Britain? - defender
I would also think that after the A1 the A6 would be next,dont know the distances involved but the A5 London to Holyhead and the A9 Edinburgh to Thurso are also possible contenders for next in line
Longest road in Britain? - king arthur
A6 starts somewhere around Luton now I think. Below that it was renamed to A1081.

A38, you have to remember, becomes the A38(M) at one point.
Longest road in Britain? - Arty
When it comes down to world terms you cant beat the Australian Nullabor Eyre Highway.
Longest road in Britain? - L'escargot
It's a long road that has no turning. (Don't know where it is, though.)
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Longest road in Britain? - madux
Land's End to John O'Groats - surely that's the longest road?
Longest road in Britain? - Stuartli
Any road I'm driving along with the other half sitting on my left - non-stop twittering about anything and anything, most of which is of extremely little interest to me....:-))
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Longest road in Britain? - Stuartli
The A1 (London to Edinburgh) is apparently the UK's longest road at more than 400 miles, 100 miles further than its nearest challenger, the A38.

Details at:

www.ukroads.plus.com/f99/1.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Hi,

Intersting resource, so the A38 is only 2nd longest, nice to know. Still hard to believe when you think that the '38 starts finishes?) not far from Truro and heads up to the borders. Must be more than 300 miles from, for instance, Liskeard to Newcastle.

Regards.
Longest road in Britain? - mare
A38 starts at Bodmin, ends at Mansfield.
A38 starts at Bodmin, ends at Mansfield.

>>

Must go further north than Mansfield?
Longest road in Britain? - Avant
Out with the map = let's settle this....

No it doesn't.

Maybe it used to? Like the A6, some roads can lose bits of themselves by being reclassified, which serves nu useful purpose apart from confusing the motorist.
Out with the map = let's settle this....
No it doesn't.
Maybe it used to? Like the A6, some roads can lose
bits of themselves by being reclassified, which serves nu useful purpose
apart from confusing the motorist.

Just looked at the map, you are right, I wonder if the A60 / A19 used to be the continuation of the A38, I was sure it went up towards the borders.
Longest road in Britain? - Motel
is it not Watling street i aways read that it was the longest road in england
Longest road in Britain? - defender
they will all be replaced by the as yet unmarked euroroutes .there is one starts in malaga(I think)crosses to dover and runs all the way to John o groats .The roman road builders dont get enough credit for laying the foundation of our modern roads network.