Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 over fueling - zeus
Hi,

I have a 1990 205 Gti 1.9. It has a full stainless exhaust with 4 into 1 tubular manifold and a K&N 57i induction kit. Other than that the engine is standard.
The problem I am having is that with no warning, it will cut out and wont restart. When it 1st happened, I thought I'd broken a timing belt, but after checking the belt, then spark then fuel, the car misteriously started again. But this didn't last long, a couple of minutes running and it had cut out again. I discovered that when it cuts out and wont restart, if you pull the power from the fuel pump and crank the engine, after about 6 turns or so, it starts, reconnect the pump and the car will run, but not very happily.
I've had it into a garage and they cant work it out, the fuel mixture is all over the place. They suggested replacing the fuel pump and/or airflow meter.
So far I have cleaned the K&N and replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump and airflow meter, all to no avail. I also discovered that the vacuum advance pipe from the distributer was off, and I thought hey presto, but on replacing it, it still cuts out.
When the car is left for any time, it starts no problem, but would seem as soon as it warms up at all, the mixture becomes too rich and the engine is flooding. The smell of petrol out of the exhaust when it is playing up is unbelievable.
This has been going on for about 5 weeks now, and I am soon to be bald from all the hair pulling this is causing me, so any help or suggestions will be received greatfully. :-)
Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 over fueling - Edward
My brother had a 1989 309XSi. This had, I think, the same Bosch injection system. He had a similar problem. The car intermittantly ran so rich that it would flood and stall. After a lot of testing and checking, the fault was eventually traced to an intermittant open circuit somewhere between the airflow meter and the ECU. We bypassed this part of the loom and the problem was solved.
Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 over fueling - Sooty Tailpipes
You could try prising the black square cap off the top of the Airflow meter, and inspect the tracks inside which are operated by the flap, they may also benefit from a wipe with a slight;y damp soft cloth.
Cheers guys, I'll have a look at both suggestions today, although, is it likely that 2 different airflow meters would give the same problem.
I'll report back my findings. :-)
Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 over fueling - Sooty Tailpipes
Hmmm, sorry I missed that...
Well I wounder if it has a fuel pressure regulator?
I think it's BOSCH L Jetronic, so it should, a small round unit with a diagphram in it operated by manifold vacuum, this is usually mounted on a rigid fuel rail that feeds the injectors and has a return to the tank. Can you get a replacement cheaply enough to eliminate??? Also check the vacuum to it is in good condition.

Also a common cause of cutting out on L Jetronic cars is a BOSCH fuel injection or RUN/START relay, this is usually a tall relay and has a transverse PCB in it and the solder connections to the legs inside get dry joints due to the length of the PCB and vibration, I haven't seen this cause over-fueling though.

Also, do these cars have a cold start injector in the inlet manifold? this is an extra injector that should operate during cranking.
I've tried replacing the fuel pressure regulator with a fse boost valve, but this just made the problem worse.
And to make matters worse, the car wont start at all now, so it's back 2 the drawing board. I'll need to have a look at the basics again, like fuel and spark. Is it possible to get an airlock in the fuel system if you run it right down? I'm workin all weekwnd, so I'll probablly not get a good chance to have a look at it till monday.

Cheers again
Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 over fueling - pug3
I had a similar problem with my 1.6 205gti when the engine ran after I had done a fuel and ignition check.

Now that your engine will not run:
1. What is the colour/condition of the spark plug central electrodes? i.e. black/dry, normal/wet

2. Is there still fuel pressure when the ignition is turned on?
Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 over fueling - boris
The fuel pump is either on off on these pugs, the injectors just open and spray it in. So if you think the car is over fueling then the only real fault I can see is that the air is not being metered properly here - or you have a sticky injector.

The airflow meter on a 205 always causes problems. Your best off takig it apart and cleaning either side of the butterfly thoroughly with carb cleaner and removing the brass idle mixture screw for a good clean too as these often get so bunged up that they can't do their job. When you put it back make sure there are no gaps in the inlet piping to allow unmetered air in. After this you could be having wiring issues with the connector to the AFM causing it the butterfly to fail closed intermittantly.

Knowing these cars I would be more suspicous of an electrical fault here somewhere. The ignition amplifier can fail pretty often. This is bolted to the nearside inner wing and should have a 6(ish) pin connector plugged into it. It's mounted on a heatsink as it gets so hot. It can fail through over heating so I often remove it, clean up the back and heatshink and then apply some silicon heat sink paste (used for computers - try pc world!) to the back of it. They're also pretty easy to find in the breakers and well worth swapping . Also check the dizzy rotors, plugs and leads.

The last thing to look at is the tachymetric relay (controls fueling) but if you're sure it's fueling then this shouldn't be the issue.
Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 over fueling - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Going by all the bits you have thrown at it to no avail I'd suggest the coolant temp sensor or wiring at fault. If the wiring is broken then it will give the ECU the impression that the engine is stone cold with resulting overfuelling. Put the original pressure reg back on and get the pressure checked. The airflow meters are a common fault on these, I think because of the angle they are mounted at to cram it all under the bonnet. Bear in mind that because of the overfuelling the oil is likely to be badly contaminated with petrol which will cofuse the issue as the petrol fumes being drawn into the manifold via the breathers will give a falsely rich indication so change it asap.
Andrew

--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Felling a wee bit daft, turned out to be the coil lead, corroded onto the dizzy cap. I replaced the cap, arm and leads, and all seems to be well. I've to take it to the garage tomorrow to get the mixture re-set. I guess I didn't look there cause of the fact that it restarted after removing the fuel pump power and showed a spark with a plug against the block.
Any way, thank you all for your suggestions, they were all very much appreciated. :-)