Peugeot 406 Changing Glow Plugs - Chops887766
I went to change the glow plugs on my 1998 1.9 TDi 406 and could not believe how difficult it was! The plugs are burried under a mass of pipes and stuff.

I've managed to change the two passenger side plugs, but I have no chance of getting at the other two without taking out the fuel injection unit - is this right or am I missing something obvious? I can't believe a regular serviceable item such as these is so difficult to access....

Cheers
Peugeot 406 Changing Glow Plugs - P 2501
i have one of these and i think it is a long handled 8mm ring spanner, and just some minor pipe removal.Taking out the injection pump is not necessary but it looks fiddly!
Peugeot 406 Changing Glow Plugs - Quinny100
Be very careful changing the first plug nearest the timing belt.

Its about 5mm from the coolant supply to the head pipe. The pipe is very fragile and if the plug is tight and you pull on a spanner to loosen it and it either slips or the plug loosens rapidly the spanner will hit the pipe. If it does, it will more than likely snap the pipe off, and the pipe fitting is 10x harder to change than the glow plugs.
Peugeot 406 Changing Glow Plugs - Sprice
It is not as easy a job as you would like, agreed, and for this reason you will find that only 3 of the glow plugs are changed in the 406 and equivalent Xantia!
Peugeot 406 Changing Glow Plugs - Spanner
Had a similar problem on my 2.1 Citroen XM TD. I had to use a long handled 8mm spanner after the removal of pipes and upper inlet manifold. Whatever you do, don't touch the injection pump unit as if it's disturbed or removed it will need setting up with probes, locking pins and dial test indicators, plus the cambelt will have to be removed which, in itself is a fiddly job. Get the correct spanner and take your time.
Peugeot 406 Changing Glow Plugs - Chops887766
Thanks guys - at least I know now that it is just a fiddly job!
Peugeot 406 Changing Glow Plugs - Dartrader
Hi,
I changed the glow plugs on my 406 td last year. It is a bitch of a job. I had a old spanner welded to a 12mm socket and this worked well. Once loosend I pushed a bit of rubber pipe over the threaded contact and used it to spin them out.

Then spun the new ones back in and tightend them with the tool I had made. Then put the wires back on and out else you removed to gain acess.

Put a small amount of copper ease on the threads but don't over tighten them.

Good luck!

Dartrader
Peugeot 406 Changing Glow Plugs - glowplug
Did the job on my 405. This link may help -

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=12...#

Steve.
Peugeot 406 Changing Glow Plugs - garyl
good afternoon, i have a peugeot 406 and was just wondering it is a bit of a pig to start when its been left all night! do you think it is the glow plugs or something else??? p.s its a 1.9td

many thanx
Peugeot 406 Changing Glow Plugs - mick the fix
gary
very well could be, especially if she starts ok when warmed up. had exact same problem on my 406 1.9TD at 90K miles. Bought 4 new halfords glow worms and tried to put them in - first 2 not to bad but a bit of a fiddle, just could not access the left hand two so old ones left in place ( does anybody know if you can test them without removing them first ?) . However with two new glow worms engine started up fine even at - 4 degrees in winter . two years later now have same problem, cranks for ages before eventually picking up revs and starting like an old tractor. - however i have since found this web site and read all the info so thanks to all -I now have 4 new beru plugs and special spanner from gsf and i am set to replcae as many as I can this week end !
regards Mike>>

Peugeot 406 Changing Glow Plugs - LeePower
Beru glow plugs every time with any Peugeot / Citroen diesel lump.

Fitting any other make just means you will end up doing the job again in the near future.
Peugeot 406 Changing Glow Plugs - gsb
GSF were doing 4 Beru plugs for 406's for £20 before xmas
Peugeot 406 Changing Glow Plugs - mick the fix
More on the 406 1.9TD - Well so far so bad - new special spanner not a lot of good as the ratchet is sloppy and although fits on the glow plug nuts still needs lots of side to side swing to ratchet.
Removed batt negative lead, and turbo input pipe from air filter it was then possible to change plug num 3 in 15 mins, plug 4 in about another 15 mins
Both fidlly but used trusty old long reach flexy drive screwdriver with 8mm socket for wiring nut, t
Then use a cut down deep 12mm socket (3/4" drive~) for the plugs - normal depth socket fouls on the electrical srew thread and a normal deep socket is too long to get the flexy end of the 3/4" drive into it as it has to be on an angle.
Droped bits into the works and onto the engine under-shield a few times which slows things down - so take care.

Doing this Plug num 2 behind injector pump is just reachable with specail spanner but I thought once its out I will never be able to get the new one in as access so tight without removing the pressure side pipe from the turbo.
One end of this pipe is easy, its a jubilee clip but the othet is hidden on the turbo and might be nuts and bolst even though it feels a bit loose on my 406?
I thought of cutting it off and fixing it up later but wait to see if anybody knows how it comes off - this would make plug 2 much easier to reach and even a possibility of doing num 4.
So as before 2 new plugs in and she starts ok now.
gsb is correct 4 beru plus (about £5 plus vat , 1 x specail spanner £10 (hardly needed) and an oil filter from GSF in Hitchin came to about £35.
have taken some pics and will post a link soon
mick
Peugeot 406 Changing Glow Plugs - imck
The 406 glow plugs. 8mm flex screw driver and magnetic pick up tool 12 mm deep socket for 1 & 2 , the one behind the pump I made a spaner from an old 12 mm 1/4 drive socket .
weld a piece of flat 2mm by 10 mm an 250 mm long the side only use a small socket aprox 10mm deep drill the socket with 10.5 drill to allow thread through. this will give enough room to undo 1 flat at a time. bend the flat to a step then a curve. I have a 8 mm socket on outher end to do wire bolt. You can test plug in head but have yo take wire of first. Then check with meter to batery. But may as well take out as so much work getting wire off. Anouther tip put nuts in socket with piece of paper towel stops them falling out of socket as you thread them through all the pipes. I use magnetic pick up tool to fit nut on no 3,4 just a fiddle.