Noisy 9-5
My 2004 Saab 9-5 estate has started displaying the engine warning light intermittently (illuminated but not flashing) it has had a recent annual service and been plugged in twice for engine diagnostics which gave the all clear. There has been no change in its performance whatsoever. Please advise.

My 2004 Saab 9-5 estate has developed an irritating almost rubbing noise from one of the wheels on the nearside. It is noticeable from around 25mph stopping and starting with the rotation of the wheel and is less noticeable during motorway driving. The tyres have just been replaced (it did it before) and the brakes checked. I believe it can only be the bearings, if so how can the offending wheel be identified? It has not had any effect on handling. Please advise.

Asked on 1 June 2011 by Gardener

Answered by Alan Ross
Well ref the engine management light there is not much you can do, problem is intermittent so could be a sensor playing up, but as you have said you have tried twice on the diagnostics but no result. Therefore i would just leave it for now and wait and see if it comes on permanently.

If you suspect a wheel bearing then you would need to jack the car up so that the wheel (s) are clear of the ground.
Then rotate the wheel at a reasonble speed and listen .You may be able to hear the noise of the bearing. Also whilst the wheel is of the ground get hold of the top of the wheel with one hand and the bottom of the wheel with the other and try to rock the wheel , if you can feel play (ie movement) or a knocking sound then it would indicate that either the bearing needs adjusting or replacing.