Price fighter
I have a 1997 Nissan Micra automatic. Unfortunately the underneath is badly rusted and welding will cost £400. I know the guys in the MoT station and trust them. I have a budget of £5,500 and am looking to get another Micra automatic, but I’m confused to which would be best: a 2006 model with 31,000 miles or a 2004 model with 18,000 miles? Both are around the same price.

Asked on 27 February 2010 by S.G., via e-mail

Current Micras have 4-speed torque converter autos rather than the CVTs of the previous Micras. These autoboxes have been generally reliable. For the same money, always go for the newer car regardless of mileage. It will be more reliable and will always be worth more.