NEWSLETTER SPECIAL: Who are the UK's most trusted garages? Sign-up NOW for this week's exclusive. | No thanks

Car higher costs
Are we obliged to go to the insurance company's preferred garage for repairs, or do we have a choice? My reason for asking is they seen to want the car for 7 - 10 days when my local Honda garage suggests they would only need it for a couple of days. It requires a new front bumper and offside foglight. They appear to only order parts once the car has been taken in and no amount discussion appears to get them away form their 7 - 10 day mantra. Would welcome your views

Asked on 27 February 2010 by P.F., Edinburgh

This reads to me like a typical credit hire courtesy car scam. The 'accident management' outfit slows the pace of the repair so you are
in the hire car for longer and the credit hire company makes more money. I suggest a strongly worded e-mail to your insurer. And an outright refusal to sign any documentation making you in any way liable for the hire car costs if they cannot be recovered.